Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based here in Thailand, where Honda manufacture most of the world's cbr250s, and have been producing Honda bikes for something like 60 years, there were lots of rumours throughout 2010 of Honda releasing an all new cbr250.

In October 2010 this pic was released in a Jap magazine.

Not bang on, but not too far away at all from what it actually was.

2 months later I (and many others here) were riding the new cbr250 out of the dealership.

Anyway, rumours have been going around for a bit about a new CBR400 for release next year.

Now these dodgy pics have shown up in the Jap mags the same as the 250 ones did.

One guy's dealer here says it'll be released in March, as a V Twin, plenty of rumours and speculation going around, just as in 2010 with the 250.

Take all these rumours and dodgy pics as they are.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Want this to be true but dont see it happening, its like that rumermil of the Yamaha r4.

There is a bit of differnce between the two photos with the headlight fairings, indicators and forks. Would choose the top one, front end looks sexier.

Is there a market for 400's in your country, i cant see one here in Aus.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is in Thailand. I think Honda were quite taken back by the sheer demand for the 250.

Next step up here is to the Kawa Er-6n/f.

23HP to 70HP is quite a leap. Price difference is 100k for cbr, and 250k for the Er-6n.

I think a 50HP 400cc at around 190k would sell well. I think the best selling bike in America is the Ninja 250. Small bikes sell well. Especially in this economic climate. And Honda have really focused on producing economical (slightly bland) bikes. I wouldn't expect an inline 4 screamer like the previous version, but perhaps an economical, cheap twin to fit between the 250 and 600.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If it is true, I can see them bringing it to NA to compete head to head with the Kawi 400 introduced here last year.

I'm out of the hunt for this one. I like my WeeBR lots. I am interested in the dualsport version of it though. It would suit the riding I like to do locally much more. Until then, WeeBR FTW!

·
Registered
636 Posts
id love to see this happen as well..however i think it is wishful thinking..time will tell and i still have a ceebee 250 that needs thousands of miles put on it..

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Ninja 400R - Street/touring - Model 2011 - Canadian Kawasaki Motors Inc.
Pass on the Ninja 400 sold in Canada. Its heavy 448 pounds. Thats not light.

I'll always harp on the weight issue with sporty or pure sports bikes. Exess weight take a hugh portion out of the fun factor.
Agree. The Ninja 400 is way too big and heavy. For North America and Europe, Eliminating the CBR250R and bumping it to a 31hp 350 at almost the same price and size would sell even better.

·
Registered
220 Posts
There is in Thailand. I think Honda were quite taken back by the sheer demand for the 250.

Next step up here is to the Kawa Er-6n/f.

23HP to 70HP is quite a leap. Price difference is 100k for cbr, and 250k for the Er-6n.

I think a 50HP 400cc at around 190k would sell well. I think the best selling bike in America is the Ninja 250. Small bikes sell well. Especially in this economic climate. And Honda have really focused on producing economical (slightly bland) bikes. I wouldn't expect an inline 4 screamer like the previous version, but perhaps an economical, cheap twin to fit between the 250 and 600.
The exact same situation in India.

The CBR250R is all you need for the cities and 80% of all other roads here, but when you need to cover distances fast, you realize the lack of horses. OTOH, the ER6F is more than adequate for the highway but overkill for the city, and an absolute pig over broken roads with the stock tyres.

Something producing 50hp would be perfect here too. I doubt we'll see it for some time though, at least from Honda.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I think the best selling bike in America is the Ninja 250. Small bikes sell well. Especially in this economic climate. And Honda have really focused on producing economical (slightly bland) bikes.
The Ninja250 is high selling only when considered on a per model basis where it had zero competition for 20 years and other quite similar bike models are separated. Ie. counting a V-Star as different from a Harley. Taken as a category, Large displacement cruiser pigs such as the Harleys are the bigest sellers in the US. Sad.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
btw, Thai Honda built a purpose built 'Big Bike Wing' about 3 years ago in BKK. Just as it was completed they mothballed it due to the global economy.

6 months ago they made an official announcements that they plan to enter the big bike market here in 2012. And that they're plant is set up to begin production on a number of models.

One of the reasons given was to take advantage of the free trade agreement they have with Japan, and that it would be one of the main importers. Japan has a big market for 400cc's due to licensing/insurance issues.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If there is a CBR400 in the pipes, I'm not sure we'd see it in the U.S. anytime soon. For Honda, selling the 250 here seemed to be very nearly an afterthought. If it weren't for Kawasaki showing them that a beginner sport bike could do okay, I don't think they would have bothered since North America was a teeny tiny sliver of worldwide CBR250R sales in 2011. I don't see them testing the waters in an economy like this with a market that doesn't exist yet. The 250 has only been out a year and it seems unlikely that they would risk undermining all their channelling work for it by bringing over a slightly "better" bike so soon. Better timing would be in a few years when the CBR250R is due to be redesigned or replaced.

Of course, I wouldn't mind be wrong.

·
Registered
160 Posts
A 400 twin, now that would be nice. The little 250 is OK but i would really like a little more power

Yes please.

Especially if retained the low RPM torque and agility of the CBR250R in traffic, though a tiny bit longer wheelbase wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
160 Posts
btw, Thai Honda built a purpose built 'Big Bike Wing' about 3 years ago in BKK. Just as it was completed they mothballed it due to the global economy.

6 months ago they made an official announcements that they plan to enter the big bike market here in 2012. And that they're plant is set up to begin production on a number of models.

One of the reasons given was to take advantage of the free trade agreement they have with Japan, and that it would be one of the main importers. Japan has a big market for 400cc's due to licensing/insurance issues.

Happy New Year Khun Redline!

Anymore 'leaks' from your sources Thai Honda now that it is 2012?

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fraid not.

Just the rumours, tje odd dealership quote, which doesn't mean much really, and the jap mag pics.

though that was exactly what happened in 2010 with the new 250.

·
Registered
113 Posts
At one time Honda built a 350 in line four cyl. Never had a chance to ride one but would have loved to
I have, and they're a ball.

Currently playing with a CB-1 and boy is it fun. Looks, meh...could use some improvement (will work on that soon) but the ride is very nice.

America needs a 400 V twin IMHO (aka Bros 400).

WW

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Source: American manager of a Honda Dealership in Bangkok.

Background: The BKK Motorbike Festival and Thai Honda unveiling big bikes to become available in Thailand (CBR1000, Goldwing 1800, NC700 etc.)

I just got back from the Bangkok Bike Festival. Like I said earlier today, all of the new Honda big bikes are going to be imported from Japan. However, from what I can gather, 400-600 cc Hondas will be manufactured here in Thailand next year.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
At one time Honda built a 350 in line four cyl. Never had a chance to ride one but would have loved to
I did, but just a little ride. It was soon replaced by a 400 four, which I got to have a decent ride on. Lightweight and very smooth, it was like riding a sewing machine. It handled alright too.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts