Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was applying some chain lube and noticed the muffler side of my chain is totally rusty... I had to ride through the rain one day so it got wet, but **** it's ALREADY rusty? It doesn't seem to be affecting performance at all, however that might come later if the rust continues. Is this normal?

I also noticed the beginnings of rust in the muffler....

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's likely just metallic dust from the rear brake settling on the chain and exhaust. Being new and just "breaking in", there will be more dust than normal until the brakes are seated. Just lube the chain with the recommended lube and clean the exhaust (when cool) with soap and water and a stiff-bristled plastic/nylon brush. You should be fine from there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry, I overlooked where you stated "in" the muffler...

It is normal to have rust on the inside of a new exhaust. Condensation is always present to some level. Once you put some miles on your bike, the combination of soot and unburned fuel deposits will create a barrier between the metal and the condensation. It will essentially take care of itself.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I was applying some chain lube and noticed the muffler side of my chain is totally rusty... I had to ride through the rain one day so it got wet, but **** it's ALREADY rusty? It doesn't seem to be affecting performance at all, however that might come later if the rust continues. Is this normal?

I also noticed the beginnings of rust in the muffler....
Yes, rust on an unprotected chain is to be expected. If it's got rust it means that it has not been kept lubricated. It doesn't take much to lube the chain, but it is required (one reason why shaft drive bikes are nice).

·
745 Posts
Honda does recommend not spraying water inside the muffler whil washing, saying that it will lead to rust and early failure.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it might be the disc brake dust... Because it is entirely on one side. I've actually lubed it quite frequently, but seeing as I've had it only three weeks it seems a LITTLE odd to be already so rusted. Hopefully it's just surface rust... I think I'll take a toothbrush and some chain lube to it later to see if that is the case.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think it might be the disc brake dust... Because it is entirely on one side. I've actually lubed it quite frequently, but seeing as I've had it only three weeks it seems a LITTLE odd to be already so rusted. Hopefully it's just surface rust... I think I'll take a toothbrush and some chain lube to it later to see if that is the case.
As far as chain rust goes, all it takes is a few minutes in the rain to get wet where there's no lube protection and the rusting can start.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does the chain not come pre-lubed at all? I would have thought that would be a step in the assembly process or else it could rust just by sitting outside on a dealer's lot.

·
Registered
118 Posts
as most of it is metallic flakes your bike should be fine just lube your chain with some proper oil not some wd-40 bull crap as their is some water in that solution as well..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts