Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was applying some chain lube and noticed the muffler side of my chain is totally rusty... I had to ride through the rain one day so it got wet, but it's ALREADY rusty? It doesn't seem to be affecting performance at all, however that might come later if the rust continues. Is this normal?

I also noticed the beginnings of rust inside the muffler....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well that proves that its made of the cheapest of the cheapest material - i will continue to paint it with the heat resistant paint, to the day i replace it
Thank you for the warning

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cubbi:

Chains are not rustproof and oxidize easily. Just apply a good chain lube often and wipe excess. Rust will disappear.

I have an exotic Bimota for $74K and the chain behaves the same way.

Just normal.....................

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Give it a clean and scrub with WD40.

Then lube with Engine oil.
WD40 is OK (just did some research), but I'd be careful about using some solvents to clean the chain. They can damage the O-rings on the chain.

The O-rings seal in the lubricant for each link for the life of the chain. All you need to do is provide a little lube for the rollers against the sprockets. I suggest just use aerosol chain lube sparingly every week or two / few hundred km. Maybe a bit more frequently if you use the bike in the rain. It is best to lube the chain at the end of a ride, while it is still warm.

O-ring chains are a godsend, that require little maintenance. If you have to clean them under normal conditions you are probably using too much oil / lube (or being too finicky about appearance). They last 2 or 3 times as long as ordinary roller chains, which do require a lot of attention and adjustment to get the best out of them.

The "stretch" of an ordinary chain is from wear on the pins in the links. By sealing in the lubricant on an O-ring chain that wear is eliminated. Once you have to start having to adjust an O-ring chain frequently it has come to the end of its service life.

·
Registered
269 Posts
don't use wd40, it'll ruin your o-rings. get yourself a legit chain cleaner, a grunge brush, and some chain lube. it's like your brakes, left outside it's bound to happen but it'll scrub off

·
Banned
1,894 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
As interesting as those internet rumours are, you might find this indept study interesting.

Chain O-ring WD-40 exposure effects study and results - ADVrider

And this, where it sat in WD-40 for a month.

Does WD40 hurt o-rings? A test.... - ThumperTalk

Spraying the chain and wiping it immediately, before applying your lube, in this case brushing on engine oil won't hurt the chain.

Interesting soak test !

I've been cleaning with WD-40 and lubing with gear oil for many thousands of road miles with good results. Lots of splatter though.

When my Red 250 finally gets here I'm wondering what I'm going to use. It'll be a pain keeping those silver wheels looking decent...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Oh sorry, i thought you meant the exhaust that was rusting - me and english :)

I am more worried about rust on the "shiny" adjustable shockasorber underneath, i was told to use wax on the shiny things on the bike. I use the expensive ultraglozz

·
Registered
269 Posts
As interesting as those internet rumours are, you might find this indept study interesting.
not internet rumors, i know people who always used wd-40 and their chains snapped. regardless, might as well get the products made for the task, doesn't cost a lot

edit: i'd rather pay a little extra for the chain cleaner and lube than replace the transmission or get my leg hacked off when the chain snaps

·
Registered
116 Posts
not internet rumors, i know people who always used wd-40 and their chains snapped. regardless, might as well get the products made for the task, doesn't cost a lot
You are right Doublergirl, keep away from wd40.

Theres something bad in wd40 that the o-rings dont like.

I use new gearoil to wipe clean.

·
Registered
681 Posts

edit: i'd rather pay a little extra for the chain cleaner and lube than replace the transmission or get my leg hacked off when the chain snaps
I couldn't agree more. Chain cleaner is like $8. Not exactly bank breaking if you can afford a new $4000 bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts