Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys Im having trouble lining up the spools evenly. On the right side of the bike (no chain) its fit perfect no problem. But the chain side is much harder and I cant get it to line up evenly because part of the wheel is in the way. hopefully the pictures can help show you what I mean. First two pics are the right side. Next 3 are left. What am I doing wrong?

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
Something definitely doesn't look right. There should be way more clearance between the wheel and swingarm. It looks like you are missing a spacer on that side of the hub. I don't have my bike or manual with me so can't say for sure. Does the bike track properly? Try and get a measurement from the swingarm to the edge of the sprocket carrier.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Something definitely doesn't look right. There should be way more clearance between the wheel and swingarm. It looks like you are missing a spacer on that side of the hub. I don't have my bike or manual with me so can't say for sure. Does the bike track properly? Try and get a measurement from the swingarm to the edge of the sprocket carrier.
I couldn't find anything in the manual about a spacer but the measurement from the end of the swingarm to the edge of the sprocket carrier is about .20 of an inch. I filed down the back end of the spool a bit and it'll sit where it's supposed to but it still scrapes a bit when the bike is moving. Am I missing a spacer or do I just need to file even more?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I have Sato spools on my '12.

I only have 0.6 mm gap between the spool holder and the sprocket carrier.

edit: I have more space at the top & bottom than I do in the middle of the spool holder.
The 0.6mm measurement was taken at the tightest space, @ 3 o'clock when looking at the wheel from the left side.

I also have my spools as far as possible to the end of the swingarm. Possibly too far, but the most-reward fasteners are covering the swingarm, so I think I am O.K.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have never seen the Sato spool assembles in person. Are both of the plates that fit on the inside surface of the swing arms the same thickness? In the pics the one on the brake side seems thinner than the chain side. If so I would switch the thinner one to the chain side. If they are the same nothing would be gained.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I have never seen the Sato spool assembles in person. Are both of the plates that fit on the inside surface of the swing arms the same thickness? In the pics the one on the brake side seems thinner than the chain side. If so I would switch the thinner one to the chain side. If they are the same nothing would be gained.
I just came back in from the garage after reading your post.

Both inner plates appear to be identical, however, the inner plates seem to have a "front" and a "rear", or at least, they are not the same on both long edges. One side has a relief cut into it.

I noticed that my brake side had the relief facing the rear, while the chain side had it facing the front. I think if I swapped my covers (or just flip it over???) I, and everyone putting these on (wrong?) might gain a lot of space.

And here is a picture of my gap with some fill flash:

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just noticed there is a plate welded on the inside of the chain side of the swing arm (probably for added strength) that you would not want to mount the spool assembly over. You would have to mount it as far to the rear to avoid it like how don't panic has his. See the pic of my stock swing arm (looking down) for what my clearance looks like.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all your help guys, ill try and play with them more today and see if switching the rear plates give me more clearance on the chain side.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, trying to use the rear plate from the non-chain side didnt work as it was still too big

I think the only option is too file it down a bit more so I have a little more clearance and I should be good.

·
Registered
532 Posts
fyi, mine fit, but it was tight on the chain side for sure. I was actually worried about clearance, however the bike ran fine, so I never thought of it again until reading this thread now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I shot them an e-mail so hopefully they are able to help. It fits on it now with the filing but I'm still worried about the bit of grinding the rear plate does with the sprocket carrier, I don't want it to cause any problems down the line.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
fyi, mine fit, but it was tight on the chain side for sure. I was actually worried about clearance, however the bike ran fine, so I never thought of it again until reading this thread now.
Yeah, its really tight but if it hasn't caused you any problems hopefully its the same for me. I'll keep them and hope it all works out.

·
Registered
237 Posts
FWIW - My clearance measuring from back of bike is 1 mm at top and 0.7 mm at bottom Clarence.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts