Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if many others have done it, but here in sunny 'rip you off for everything' Queensland, the cost of registering even a small bike is over the top....but one can save about $200 per year on compulsory 3rd party insurance by formally having the bike certified as a single seater. Had mine done today.
Removed both pillion pegs, seat meant to be removed or defoamed (getting pack on it so guy accepted that), a certification plate rivetted on (placed underneath spare seat storage area, so nice and hidden) and visit to local Transport branch and all done.

I have an old XT500 thumper that I occasionally exercise my right knee on!.. did the same for that too a few years ago....for the same reason..saving $$$$

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Great trick.. I might check my states laws on this.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I wish you guys would not post that, California DMV might pick up on it.
We have a permanent trailer license plate that lasts 7 years. Permanent is printed right on the plate. Montana is stupid, their bike reg is one time , permanent, for life. All that money lost. And MT costs less than Calif. with better roads, freeze and all.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Great post Stumps, going to check this in Sydney for sure. Be a great excuse to get the Tyga Performance single seater kit and keep the missus of the back.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Great post Stumps, going to check this in Sydney for sure. Be a great excuse to get the Tyga Performance single seater kit and keep the missus of the back.

you sure can. My mate just did it on his street tripple 1050

·
Registered
282 Posts
Cheers Macca.
Can I cancel green slip mid-year and get a new one, probably easier to wait for next year.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers Macca.
Can I cancel green slip mid-year and get a new one, probably easier to wait for next year.
Killstrelok, For QLD, once Transport Dept reclassified it as single seat insurance category, contacted the insurance co. for a differential refund.
Up here, it's about $200 per year extra for a 2 seater bike (#$%^ stinks!)...so should get back about $150 pro rata. Inspection and certification cost me $100. So a net saving of $50 for this year, then the big saving every year after. I guess if you are going to keep it, it pays off bigtime. And maybe a winner for resale too? if not..easy to convert back to a 2 seater.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks stumps, very helpful info mate.
Macca what hoops did your mate have to jump thu to get the job done?
I'll start with the RTA and go from there.

·
Registered
319 Posts
i think it was with the greenslip provider. But yeh ask the rta.

I got a year rego with my bike, Im not going to bother changing it

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Bloody hell. Nanny States!

Here in Thailand the registration is about $30 and it lasts forever, the dealership does it for you. Officially I think you're supposed to ride in and show them you both exist every 5 years but no ever does.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Bloody hell. Nanny States!

Here in Thailand the registration is about $30 and it lasts forever, the dealership does it for you. Officially I think you're supposed to ride in and show them you both exist every 5 years but no ever does.
Redline we're not talking about rego, this is compulsory 3rd party insurance. Which means if some dickhead runs into me and breaks my leg, his insurance pays. Not nanny state imo, just good common sense.
It is to expensive but the principle is sound.
Who pays if someone injures you on the road?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Hurt yaself in Asia ya screwed.. get on the next plane home out of there.
So many horror stories.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
For 20yrs I always wondered what our compulsory 3rd party injury insurance was about.. till some prick did a hit & run on me and I was off work for a few yrs all busted up/
Lost my uninsured bike and they never found the culprit... but all medical bills paid.. and a fat payout 5 yrs later for time off work.

Since then Ive never ever considered being a passenger in any unlicenced vehicle/ driver.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Redline we're not talking about rego, this is compulsory 3rd party insurance. Which means if some dickhead runs into me and breaks my leg, his insurance pays. Not nanny state imo, just good common sense.
It is to expensive but the principle is sound.
Ah sorry, this is insurance, not registration.

Here in Thailand it's compulsory and 600thb a year, about $20, 3rd party. Full 1st class insurance for the CBR250R that covers everything - theft, bike, hospital, you, no matter what happens or who causes what, is 6,000thb, or about $200.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
The insurance company.

Hurt yaself in Asia ya screwed..
I have to believe you've never lived here? :D

but still a most desirable place to be on the planet! Just ask the 200000 lining up to settle here each year...they know the word! :D
Agree, I was based in Sydney for 3 1/2 years and think it's a great country in almost every respect. Beautiful, great people, great food, climate etc etc. And great for those into bikes. :)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
This is personal injury insurance.. a compulsory part of annual vehicle registration and nothing to do with your property (vehicle) or the other persons.
About $250 for a bike and $450 for a large car per annum.

In the UK I believe they take it another step further and 3rd party motor vehicle insurance is compulsory as well, they pay heaps as a young driver/rider just to be on the road... one day that will happen here (and should IMO)

·
Registered
282 Posts
$200 a year for full insurance, thats a bargain. Due to my limited riding experience they wanted to charge me $1200 for comprehensive insurance, thieves!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In the UK I believe they take it another step further and 3rd party motor vehicle insurance is compulsory as well, they pay heaps as a young driver/rider just to be on the road... one day that will happen here (and should IMO)
Agree AuFitt..the sooner the better!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts