Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After riding about 20 miles to get to in n out by my friends house, I did my usual and got off the bike after I did everything to make sure it wont fall and locked the front wheel. The bike fell on it ride side right after I got off it. I could swear it was standing and was ok. I did have issues with the kick stand and always made sure to check.

The damage is in 4 places. The mirror has some a scrape from caving in, took 5-10 percent of the fall, still good. The handle bar end is a bit scraped took about 30 percent of the fall and still good. Exhaust has a long scrape but no dents or any other damage maybe 50 percent, still good. My concern is allignment of the front since the wheel in straight position put my handle bar about 3-6 degrees towards my inner left. Bike drove fine on the fway but did not risk it and took the streets and does not handle any way different then before the fall

My hard question now is, can this be adjusted? The bike was locked when it fall, anyone know if is much damage?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine was knocked over one night and I faced the same concern. Luckily, I had a cover on mine and there weren't any scratches other than the right handlebar weight and a dimple on the muffler heat shield. I ordered new bar weights and new shield so cosmetic damage was fixed.

As far as alignment, my handlebars were off slightly just like yours. I turned the bars firmly to the right stop a few times and while sitting on the bike, grabbed the front brake and compressed the forks several times. This centered the handlebars and I didn't notice any ill-affects with handling, other than it seems ultra-sensitive at slow speeds. I'm still gonna have everything thoroughly checked when I take it in for first service.

Keep in mind that you will probably scrutinize every little thing that seems out of the ordinary--things that may have been present before but just didn't notice till now because you're paying closer attention. Just have it checked so that you have some peace of mind.

·
Registered
386 Posts
After riding about 20 miles to get to in n out by my friends house, I did my usual and got off the bike after I did everything to make sure it wont fall and locked the front wheel.
What exactly did you do to make sure it wouldn't drop? I assume by "locked the front wheel" you mean locking the steering, or were you putting a U-lock or disc lock on the wheel?

The bike fell on it ride side right after I got off it. I could swear it was standing and was ok. I did have issues with the kick stand and always made sure to check.
Did you park on level ground or were you on an incline? The bike doesn't lean enough while on the side stand in my opinion and it tends to feel unstable while parked when compared to other bikes.

My concern is allignment of the front since the wheel in straight position put my handle bar about 3-6 degrees towards my inner left.
Not following the inner left thing. Based on the drop you described there should be no damage to the forks so I assume the right handlebar got shifted a little. Easy fix, it should be a matter of loosening a bolt or 2 to adjust it.

It sucks that you dropped your bike!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think the super powers of Aufitt or Michael are needed here

·
Registered
385 Posts
My driveway is sloped and uneven and in places the asphalt is a bit soft. I nearly dropped my bike once; SO nice to have a bike that's EASY to catch. A lot of people own bikes that they can't pick up even if they're on level ground.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Aufitt, agreed. Most owners have enough sense not to try that at home.

Normally I would figure it to fall to the left. Was the kickstand fully down?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What exactly did you do to make sure it wouldn't drop? I assume by "locked the front wheel" you mean locking the steering, or were you putting a U-lock or disc lock on the wheel?

I made sure the kick stand is straight, since at times it goes about 90 degrees and wont go further out unless I lean the bike to the right on the side that is fallen.

Did you park on level ground or were you on an incline? The bike doesn't lean enough while on the side stand in my opinion and it tends to feel unstable while parked when compared to other bikes.

I was on a level ground, but forward incline, rather a bit forward maybe 3 degrees. And yes, the bike does seem unstable while parked.

Not following the inner left thing. Based on the drop you described there should be no damage to the forks so I assume the right handlebar got shifted a little. Easy fix, it should be a matter of loosening a bolt or 2 to adjust it.

The handle bars are turned to the left while the wheel tracks straight.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine was knocked over one night and I faced the same concern. Luckily, I had a cover on mine and there weren't any scratches other than the right handlebar weight and a dimple on the muffler heat shield. I ordered new bar weights and new shield so cosmetic damage was fixed.

As far as alignment, my handlebars were off slightly just like yours. I turned the bars firmly to the right stop a few times and while sitting on the bike, grabbed the front brake and compressed the forks several times. This centered the handlebars and I didn't notice any ill-affects with handling, other than it seems ultra-sensitive at slow speeds. I'm still gonna have everything thoroughly checked when I take it in for first service.

Keep in mind that you will probably scrutinize every little thing that seems out of the ordinary--things that may have been present before but just didn't notice till now because you're paying closer attention. Just have it checked so that you have some peace of mind.
I will take it in today or Saturday. It got cold in Cali lately and I can not ride much since I do not want to get sick

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I was on a level ground, but forward incline, rather a bit forward maybe 3 degrees. And yes, the bike does seem unstable while parked.
Well it rolled (or was bumped) forward and over the centre of gravity onto the RHS.

Park facing uphill, in gear, ground sloping to the port side and rear backed into the kerb.

Often the forks will twist in the triple clamps in falls, best get your bike mechanic to check it out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts