Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Moving the arm on the shift-shaft one spline will move the lever too much.
Not necessarily. I moved mine by 1 slot anti-clockwise. Worked beautifully.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ran into this issue recently and backed the rod out so much that when I tightened it I stripped the last thread. My solution was very easy; I replaced the rod with a longer one. I used one from a Kawasaki Ninja 500r. A side benefit is that there are black versions available which match the ends-points.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Rotating the shift arm by one spline isn't going to adversely affect the geometry, anymore than installing a longer adjustment rod will.

It's really six of one, half dozen of the other... you just spent whatever the price of the Ninja linkage rod is, whereas rotating the shift arm on the shaft costs nothing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
On the other hand, that Ninja rod is just what I am looking for. I wanted to convert my CBR to a GP shift pattern. I need a slightly longer rod to accommodate the change. Do you have the part number for the Ninja rod? Or do you want to sell it now that you know it is unnecessary?

·
Registered
23 Posts
On the other hand, that Ninja rod is just what I am looking for. I wanted to convert my CBR to a GP shift pattern. I need a slightly longer rod to accommodate the change. Do you have the part number for the Ninja rod? Or do you want to sell it now that you know it is unnecessary?
Sorry, not going to be selling mine since I still have no intention of altering the stock linkage position but check out eBay for any rod that is listed for the 87 - 93 EX500 (Gen1) or 94-09 500r (Gen2). They will both be the same I think they are just different colors. The one I am using is from a Gen2 (aka ninja 500r).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I hate to bump an old thread, but there is some good info here that is helping me. My shifter got bent and instead of trying to bend it back I just ordered a new. However the rubber part is seperate from the metal part and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the rubber toe piece over the 'flange' of the part it is suppose to go on. Anyone else have to do this? I thought when I got the old one off there may be some hints - but no dice. I can provide pics if needed

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
638 Posts
Anyone else have to do this?
YES
I got it. Just brute force, a little soap for lubrication and twisting and pushing
YAPP A lot of force!
I used two screwdrivers, and silicone grease, I thought the rubber would tear, but it did not tear, and came out without any damage. And yes, I took it off to bend the handle back. The alignment was successful and everything returned to its place.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts