Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, fairly new to the forum and have owned a cbr250r for just a few weeks, great bike, my only beef with it is the angle of the clutch pedal is quite high for me.

Can anyone please tell me how to adjust this pedal?

I have tried loosening the hex screw and the other screw which pinches the other bolt but cannot remove the clutch pedal and re-insert at a better angle.

Any help would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Gear shift maintenance & height adjustment.
Remove the gear lever off its mount with a 5mm T handle.
Lube the mount and the pivot hole with antisieze or grease.
Replace it back on and tighten the bolt.

Check the bolt at the shifter arm spline (on the engine) is tight with a 10mm ring spanner,
it will have worked loose from new , I anti seize the thread so it stays tight.

Adjustment-
Get 2 open end 10mm spanners,
loosen both nuts on the shifter rod, one end is a left hand thread so you move them the same way,
wind the rod so the gear lever moves to your desired position (the lower the better)
Tighten both nuts at the same time with both spanners.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Gear shift maintenance & height adjustment.
Remove the gear lever off its mount with a 5mm T handle.
Lube the mount and the pivot hole with antisieze or grease.
Replace it back on and tighten the bolt.

Check the bolt at the shifter arm spline (on the engine) is tight with a 10mm ring spanner,
it will have worked loose from new , I anti seize the thread so it stays tight.

Adjustment-
Get 2 open end 10mm spanners,
loosen both nuts on the shifter rod, one end is a left hand thread so you move them the same way,
wind the rod so the gear lever moves to your desired position (the lower the better)
Tighten both nuts at the same time with both spanners.

I have a question on adjusting the shift lever in this manor. I have always been under the impression that the shift arm and the arm on the shift lever where the control rod connects need to be parallel or you could have problems shifting. Maybe the geometry of the two levers isn't affected enough to cause a problem for a normal type of adjustment but if enough of an adjustment would be made I would think this could cause problems. An extreme example would be if you adjusted the shift lever 90 degrees up, then whether you pulled or pushed on the shift lever it would end up pulling the shift arm and you would only be able to downshift. I know this is an extreme example but i would think that if the two arms are out of alignment with each other it could cause problems.

I'm not saying this isn't the way to adjust the shift lever I'm only asking about this since it goes counter to what I've always been told and I like to know what's right not just what is someones opinion.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I have a question on adjusting the shift lever in this manor. I have always been under the impression that the shift arm and the arm on the shift lever where the control rod connects need to be parallel or you could have problems shifting. Maybe the geometry of the two levers isn't affected enough to cause a problem for a normal type of adjustment but if enough of an adjustment would be made I would think this could cause problems. An extreme example would be if you adjusted the shift lever 90 degrees up, then whether you pulled or pushed on the shift lever it would end up pulling the shift arm and you would only be able to downshift. I know this is an extreme example but i would think that if the two arms are out of alignment with each other it could cause problems.

I'm not saying this isn't the way to adjust the shift lever I'm only asking about this since it goes counter to what I've always been told and I like to know what's right not just what is someones opinion.
^Correct.

So if either of these things happen;
-The arms are out of alignment with eachother (ie working the same arc)
-You run out out of adjustment/or more than about 7mm threads exposed on the rod.

You simply move the arm on the engine one spline to suit.

This pic shows where I experimented and got it spot on after extending the rod 45mm to suit some brackets I made but the same theory applies-

Remember its harder to shift up than down so I like the arm on the engine slightly more anticlockwise and I run the lever lower than most ppl.
I dont use the clutch and its very slick shifting.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
depends on circumstances.. 'having trouble' and 'sometimes'
could be anything.. do you mean it doesnt go easily, when riding,
when stationary, engine off, hot, cold.. does it sometimes go in ok..

it is a new bike and will generally wear in, including gears etc..
if stationary engine off and cold, try lightly tapping, the lever,,
just, tapping it, once or a few times,, that should be enough,
and if theres some misalignment stomping on it wont help..

if stationary engine running, in neutral, clutch in and out a few times
then tap it down into 1st next clutch in.. if in second, try easing, clutch
out slightly, just enough to start engaging a bit then clutch in, tap down..

if running approaching a stop and wanting 1st gear, try continuing sequence
of gears from wherever you start from [5th say] down to 2nd but continue
same sequence while rolling still, into first.. wouldnt hurt to rev throttle
[clutch in] to say, 3krpm then tap down as revs start to drop [ie, quick blip]

if stationary engine off in 1st neutral or 2nd wanting one of these from another
try pushing forward on bars until you feel the drivetrain take up the slack
and stop moving forward, then let it move back just a little bit, tap into gear
[or neutral].. also try the same thing backwards [then forwards a bit]..

anything to do with the clutch always check your oil..
engine oil bathes the clutch so check that first..
obviously,, use at least honda recommended oil
and [despite some contrary opinions] use correct
oil specifically designated for motorcycle engines
which will be part of the specs on the label..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Guys, fairly new to the forum and have owned a cbr250r for just a few weeks, great bike, my only beef with it is the angle of the clutch pedal is quite high for me.

Can anyone please tell me how to adjust this pedal?

I have tried loosening the hex screw and the other screw which pinches the other bolt but cannot remove the clutch pedal and re-insert at a better angle.

Any help would be very appreciated.
I adjusted my shift pedal lever, but now my kickstand is in the way, and it seems like it doesn't want to shift up. What am i doing wrong here?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ooohhhh i see! Previous owner must of bent it some how.. That should be the reason i cannot shift up? Or am i looking at another problem?

Sorry but even an idiot can see that that bike has been down the road on the left hand side. Bent gear change , bent side stand, damaged frame, missing swing arm bolt cover, after-market foot pegs and that just the parts I can see in the photo. You have properly bought yourself a lemon unless it was very cheap, what's the rest of it look like?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry but even an idiot can see that that bike has been down the road on the left hand side. Bent gear change , bent side stand, damaged frame, missing swing arm bolt cover, after-market foot pegs and that just the parts I can see in the photo. You have properly bought yourself a lemon unless it was very cheap, what's the rest of it look like?

I got it for a good price, i don't mind, its just a learner bike for me, will definitely be upgrading onto a bigger bike soon. Actually, I replaced the foot pegs with those aftermarket ones, as a matter of fact the bike looks good. Your right, bike has been down from your point of view.

·
Registered
228 Posts
In that picture you can see where the "old" bent gear lever has scraped the paint of the frame, I would suggest bending the tab on the side stand straight again and all will be well. Does the LH bar end look new, the mirrors original, indicators etc. Might be a insurance repair/recovery.

·
Registered
73 Posts
In that picture you can see where the "old" bent gear lever has scraped the paint of the frame, I would suggest bending the tab on the side stand straight again and all will be well. Does the LH bar end look new, the mirrors original, indicators etc. Might be a insurance repair/recovery.
Yeah i see that. The previous owner had flush mount turn signals, i put the stocks on my self. I just cut off the tab on the kick stand. Mirrors have some scratches. The LH bar is bent just a tad bit. Few MM inward. My local mechanic took a look at it and he pointed that LH BAR out. The title is CLEAN on the pink slip, so if it was an insurance repair it wasn't a total loss (salvage)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts