Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I dropped my CBR250 :'( 90% of the fall was taken on the left handlebar. No scratches on the fairing/motor and it fell on the left side. There were a couple of scratches on the shifter bar but I didn't think much of it.

Now when I ride and I'm in 4th/5th/6th gear, if I try to downshift (not enginer break. Im talking going from like 6th to say....2nd) it gets stuck. Usually I would have been able to hold in the clutch, and downshift all the way to first. But now it gets stuck on random gears.

When the shifter gets stuck at the bottom, I have to kick it back up (like upshifting) and then back down again sometimes for it to even downshift.

What could it be?

·
Super Moderator
6,931 Posts
Sounds like the linkage rod could be bent... if thats not the case, and everything looks straight, I'd take apart the shift lever from the pivot shaft, clean it and lube with a little waterproof grease or some anti seize compound (my preference). This is something that should be done periodically anyway to insure smooth shifting... IMO, it's a service item that Honda overlooked in putting together the Maintenance Schedule.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mine does it also. I have to let the clutch out a little untill it grabs gear, then I can resume downshifting.

I'm gonna try what mike said and re-lube it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I'm not the only one. It is just frustrating sometimes. Its brand new though with only 1800 miles. Would it really need to be lubed that often in order to remove this problem?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was reading a thread about a different motorcycle having the same problem and it talked about something called a "Shift Return Spring" being possibly damaged. Do we have that?

·
Super Moderator
6,931 Posts
I was reading a thread about a different motorcycle having the same problem and it talked about something called a "Shift Return Spring" being possibly damaged. Do we have that?
There is a return spring located on the opposite end of the Gearshift Spindle, inside the right crankcase cover... the whole service procedure is covered the Service Manual in section 10, pages 18 to 21.

·
Super Moderator
6,931 Posts
... Its brand new though with only 1800 miles. Would it really need to be lubed that often in order to remove this problem?
I don't necessarily think that the shift lever pivot has to be re-greased all that often. I serviced mine when it was new (the factory didn't have much grease on the pivot shaft, it was mostly dry) at 600 miles, and then again at 4500 miles when I did the second oil & filter change. I think that doing it at the same time as your oil changes is probably sufficient in terms of frequency... maybe more often for a bike that is ridden a lot in wet conditions. Plus it's a quick job, 5 minutes at the most.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the shifting gets a lot smoother on this bike as you get more miles on it, and the internal transmission parts have worn in together. I think it's a popular misconception is that a bike is "broken in" at 600 miles... I've got 8500 miles on mine now, of which the last 6000 miles or so it seems to have all the parts finally "meshed" and working well together as a complete unit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Isn't Mr Spam's situation just the normal 'must actuate clutch between each gear' problem that is caused by normal m.c. transmission design and not by mechanical failure?

·
Super Moderator
6,931 Posts
Isn't Mr Spam's situation just the normal 'must actuate clutch between each gear' problem that is caused by normal m.c. transmission design and not by mechanical failure?
Yeah, it seems like he has two separate issues going on... besides the shift lever sticking and not returning to its normal position, it sounds like he is also trying to downshift through all the gears all at once instead of re-engaging the clutch after each downshift.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, it seems like he has two separate issues going on... besides the shift lever sticking and not returning to its normal position, it sounds like he is also trying to downshift through all the gears all at once instead of re-engaging the clutch after each downshift.
I've been able to do it before though. Like If i'm cruising in 5th and am about to come to a red light I just pull the clutch and coast to a stop while I downshift to 1st with the clutch still pulled. But now I can't. Was that a bad thing to do then?

·
Super Moderator
6,931 Posts
I've been able to do it before though. Like If i'm cruising in 5th and am about to come to a red light I just pull the clutch and coast to a stop while I downshift to 1st with the clutch still pulled. But now I can't. Was that a bad thing to do then?
In my opinion, it's not a good thing to do for several reasons. We could probably debate whether or not it's harmful to the transmission (I don't think it's doing any good for the transmission), but from a safe riding practices standpoint it's a very bad idea. When you are slowing down as you approach that red light, you want to be in the correct gear at any given point in relation to your road speed. If you are just coasting along with the clutch pulled in, you have in effect given up an important part of maintaining control of the motorcycle... being able to apply power to the rear tire if the situation calls for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just bought a 2012 with 1800km on it and although I haven't ridden it much I noticed this same problem. I am a new rider so I didn't know if this was normal or not so I got my bf to ride it and he said that the gears are abnormally "sticky" when downshifting. He suggested that I get another oil change but maybe I should just grease the lever pivot like you guys are suggesting. I also dropped the bike my first day out in my parking lot so I will also have to check to make sure I didn't bend the lever or anything. Actually, I will have to ask him to do these things for me cause I really have no idea how to do any of this myself! But thanks for the post, I am having this exact same issue and I found this very helpful!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bent Shifter?

I'm having some shifting issues. Had lots of trouble getting into first and neutral. Having now read a few posts, I have an idea of what to do (i.e. double clutch, rocking etc...). I got my bike yesterday and it only has 1,600 km (1,000 miles) on it and I'm a newbie, taking up riding at 46. It is in great condition and doesn't appear to have ever been dropped, based on no scratches or other marks on fairings, exhaust, mirrors etc....

Now I'm wondering whether the shifter is bent. I don't know anyone with a CBR250R to compare to. To me the shifter doesn't look right. I would have thought angles would all be 90 degrees to each other. Can you guys/girls have a look at pictures below and let me know what you think?

Thanks and Happy New Year,
Darren...........

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Looks bent to me.

As far as downshifting (mentioned in the original post), I would recommend dropping 1 gear at a time instead of multiple gears before letting the clutch out.

That way your gear/rpms are closer matched to your speed. If you drop multiple gears you run the risk of locking the wheel or experiencing excessive engine braking when you let the clutch out. By dropping one gear at a time, and keeping your gear/rpm/speed closely matched, you are in a much better position to accelerate if the need arises. Less strain on the drivetrain as well.

EDIT: As noted below, you can straighten it. Take it off first though, or you could put too much stress on the shaft. It's a stamped steel piece, not a cast aluminum like some, so it will bend back without cracking or snapping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cheers. Will have to see about getting it straightened out. Also saw note about releasing clutch for each gear change in another post as well. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,033 Posts
A small bend is much harder to recognise than a big bend in the shifter.

:D

If you disassemble it and put the shift lever in a vise, you should be able to straighten it. The problem with street bikes is that they make those parts from harder material so it isn't as easy to straighten out as the pot metal shift levers on enduros.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
sequential downshifting using clutch each gear
thus also the fundament skill of engine braking
is the only way to start learning riding skills..

clutch in coasting from speed to a stop
is not learning motorcycle riding control
its more like riding a heavy pushbike..

if in any doubt about this, learn the basic skill
first, practice gear changing [thus engine braking]
then it will become obvious what to do..

[this has been well covered on this forum
use the search box above]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts