Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a topic on here before with a generic chart of when you should be shifting. I'm still breaking in my engine, can anymore recommend good shift points?

I've just been going by feel/sound, here's what I've been doing
1st to 2nd: 8-10 mph
2nd to 3rd: 15-17 mph
3rd to 4th: 22-24 mph
4th to 5th: 27-30 mph
5th to 6th: 35-37 mph

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Ignore the speedo.. look at that big dial front & centre... keep it round the middle for the first couple hundred miles.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Ignore the speedo.. look at that big dial front & centre... keep it round the middle for the first couple hundred miles.
I agree. The speedo isn't what you want to be looking at for shift points.

Get accustomed to the sound and feel of your shift points. You'll get to know by feel where the engine's RPMs are.

Don't be afraid to spin it more as you get more miles on it, but always make sure you are up to operating temp before giving it any amount of revs.

Break-in doesn't take very long, and you won't kill it by spinning it up. I personally always like a good amount of varying loads when breaking in, but that's debateable...

Ever see them run a brand new engine on the dyno at the factory? They don't baby it.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
I agree. The speedo isn't what you want to be looking at for shift points.

Get accustomed to the sound and feel of your shift points. You'll get to know by feel where the engine's RPMs are.

Don't be afraid to spin it more as you get more miles on it, but always make sure you are up to operating temp before giving it any amount of revs.

Break-in doesn't take very long, and you won't kill it by spinning it up. I personally always like a good amount of varying loads when breaking in, but that's debateable...

Ever see them run a brand new engine on the dyno at the factory? They don't baby it.

this will work :cool: foget the SPEEDO :p LOOK AT THE TACT if yo must see #'s :rolleyes:

·
Registered
311 Posts
What is your goal ??
Best fuel economy, then shift at 5,000 RPM
Quickest acceleration, then shift at 8,500 RPM
Whatever your goal, strive to be smooth with your inputs.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I saw a topic on here before with a generic chart of when you should be shifting. I'm still breaking in my engine, can anymore recommend good shift points?

I've just been going by feel/sound, here's what I've been doing
1st to 2nd: 8-10 mph
2nd to 3rd: 15-17 mph
3rd to 4th: 22-24 mph
4th to 5th: 27-30 mph
5th to 6th: 35-37 mph

Are you going to be watching your speedometer as you accelerate? I didn't think so. Shift when the RPMs reach your shift target, based on feel. The target changes from a low RPM for normal driving to a high RPM target near redline for maximum acceleration.

·
Registered
221 Posts
When I purchased the bike, the dealer told me he had a trip to the factory in asia, he said at the end of the production line, some bloke hops on the bike and redlines it for 30 seconds.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What is your goal ??
Best fuel economy, then shift at 5,000 RPM
Quickest acceleration, then shift at 8,500 RPM
Whatever your goal, strive to be smooth with your inputs.
I know the answer to this which is no but I just want more information. So basically you don't have to follow the manual's recommended shifting points???

I would imagine that if I shift at 8,500 RPM from 1st to 2nd then I would be going past the speed of 12mph which is the manual's recommended shift point.

Since mile 2 I have been following the manual's recommended shift points/speeds. Sometimes I look down but most of the time NOW I just go by the engine sound. I have gotten used to what the sound sounds like at that speed 12 mph for example.

The reason why I am writing this is because I am almost done with the run in process (75 mi to go) and I want to make sure I hit all RPMS up to 9k RPM. Planning on getting an oil change after too.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Im going to open her up to 9k RPMs each gear (11.5 I can't even phatom, yet lol) after I get out of work (probably have about 30 minutes of daylight which is a good thing) and for the last 75 miles of the run in. :D

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
RPMs really aren't that critical for break-in. Supplying enough load (chamber pressure) is more important to seat the rings.

Go ahead and spin it up, but there's no reason to go to 11,500 - power tapers-off after 8500.

Jay

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wow

Go by the RPMs.

Shift at about 11.5k.

It's fun.

HOLY SMOKES!! Its dark out now, just got back. I never felt more scared yet thrilled at the same time. WOW, Thank you. I know its only a 250, but this bike is really FAAAAST and this fastness maybe enough to last me for awhile lol. If this bike goes this fast imagine me on a 600cc, no thank you lol.

So I I know I took her up to 7k-9k RPM every shift starting from first. I probably avg 8.5k RPM every upshift. All I got to say is WOW. I don't think I even got past 4th gear due to limitation of area. I maybe got to fifth but honestly I lost count. I was just playing it by ear and the limitation of area I had. I know I reached 55mph when I slightly glanced at the OD but that was probably one time, most of time I was looking at the road, Ill tell you that.

All I know is that I shifted at what I heard could be the peak of the engine sound for that particular gear and I downshifted at what I heard is the lowest engine sound for that particular gear. That got to the point where I thought I was in 3rd gear to down shift to 2nd when I was already in 2nd and downshifted to 1st which is a big NO NO. I started getting the hang of that aspect but still I got alot to learn. Because of that I even started try to Blip the throttle at some down shifts but I don't think I needed to because I did rely on Engine Braking to hear the lowest sound of the engine before downshifting a gear.

Am I making sense? (my writing is not the greatest)

Honestly, I was too scared too look at the MPH I just aggressively opened the throttle up and went by ear, eyes in front at the road and slightly glancing at the RPM tach just to verify. I was using my ears the most though when shifting. When I did look at the Tach I know I hit anywhere from 7.5 - 9k a shift.

Wow what fun. ONce I got home I took a shot of this rum.

All this time I was using the manual's recommended speed. Though do I know why they have it because the manual's recommend speed is really useful in city driving where there is alot of stops.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
That a boy.

After taking it easy at the start of a ride, do a 4th gear roll-on... into forth, pull back, and don't shift up until you hit 11.5k.

Same with fifth, and by the time you shift to 6th your heart will be pumping and you'll have a smile that connects at the back of your head.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
That a boy.

After taking it easy at the start of a ride, do a 4th gear roll-on... into forth, pull back, and don't shift up until you hit 11.5k.

Same with fifth, and by the time you shift to 6th your heart will be pumping and you'll have a smile that connects at the back of your head.
And what exactly is so special about shifting at 11.5?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
'I'm sorry officer I didnt see him, I was watching my shift points.'

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Unless there is a corner.. one thing the cbr will never do is make your heart pump.. my granmas gopher mobility scooter is faster.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts