Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I talked to my shop guy who is at the store that sold me my CBR250RA.
He had just completed the first maintenance on the bike after 1000 km.
At first he didn't even want to check the valve clearance but I insisted that it was in the manual and so he says he did.
He said that everything was within spec and that if he would've had to shim them, it would have been a 5 hour charge since they would have to remove the cam head.
I then told him that everywhere I read said that this bike did not need this because according to Honda you don't need to remove the cam head to shim the valves. But he insisted it was in the service manual that it is a ''shim under bucket'' system and they would've had to remove the cam.

Now I am not a mechanic, this is my first bike and I really can't figure out most of what all this means. But I usually end up trusting the mechanic from the shop that sells all these bikes.
I also like reading a lot about my bike on this forum and others and I know a lot of you guys have expertise on the subject and lots of motorcycling experience.
So is this tech just telling me whatever he wants me to believe ? Or is he right and the service manual is actually telling him the right method ?
He also told me he put in an after market oil filter made by the same company that supplies yamaha and honda filters (Hiflo) but that this one is $6 instead of $27 since he orders them independantly and not through Honda. But that it is basically the same filter.
I would like to know if I really would have to pay them for 5 hours of work if they actually needed to shim the valves. If only I could take a look at the service manual...
Also whenever I tell these guys that I've read differently on internet forums, I pretty much get scoffed at.
Good times.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies.
This shop is Winnipeg Sport & Leisure. They deal Yamahas and Hondas but their big money maker is selling boats.
Everytime I call it's like I'm bothering them too, they seem to be sooo busy all the time in the service department.
Anyways, when it comes to warranty , I have all the work listed on my receipt which clearly indicates that they checked the valve clearance.
I might try going to Steinbach at Bill's for the next maintenance at least.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts