Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which shock absorber should I use for my CBR 250r, if my road condition is too poor ,pls Suggest the best.
And can I use Motul Coolant for my bike?

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
188 Posts
Which shock absorber should I use for my CBR 250r, if my road condition is too poor ,pls Suggest the best.
It's possible, I do not know anyone who did it on CBR250R.

At CBR205R the diameter size of the upper tube, the one caught in the clamps, is: 37 millimeters, and there is the matter of the low height, so you have to raiseup the motorcycle, and you have to ... make adapters for the caliper and the wheel axle ...

What I did see is that you replace the entire STEERING completely, and take a one with larger wheel, maybe 19 ", and take the brake system that comes with the other STEERING (Wheel, etc) .... and that also requires a lot of work on adjusting the "new" sreering axis, etc.

In my opinion if you have an option to replace the all motorcycle it is better.

MOTUL have a coolant designed for motorcycles.
MOTUL MOTOCOOL EXPERT -37°C - Motul
I bought from other firm, coolant for general use in all types of vehicles:
SINTEK, -40° C, EURO G11.
https://www.sintec.pro/produkcija/antifrizy/sintec-antifreeze-euro-g11-40/

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
If possible, use a 10-15 weight oil designed as a fork oil.

The old stand-by is ATF - Automatic Transmission Fluid. Not the best, and a lot of variations, but it will work in a pinch.

Best way to set the fluid level in the forks is measuring from the top of the tube down to the fluid level with the forks compressed and springs out. Easiest way is to find the capacity in the service manual.

Motul coolant should be fine. Completely drain the system and flush it with clean water. Always use distilled, or at least filtered drinking water, when mixing coolant (usually 50/50). Tap water usually contains too many minerals that will eventually solidify and plug-up small passages.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If possible, use a 10-15 weight oil designed as a fork oil.
A nice thought, but it will not work. Honda's default is this 10W Fork Fluid Oil. And if even then lower the viscosity, there is 5W, and even that will not help, it will only spoil the performance even more. Because the linear motion of the original shock absorber is short, and the spring is soft.
mixing coolant (usually 50/50)
Not this time. MUTOL is "Ready To Use coolant (do not dilute)"
Liquid Product Fluid Bottle cap Bottle

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
A nice thought, but it will not work. Honda's default is this 10W Fork Fluid Oil. And if even then lower the viscosity, there is 5W, and even that will not help, it will only spoil the performance even more. Because the linear motion of the original shock absorber is short, and the spring is soft.

Not this time. MUTOL is "Ready To Use coolant (do not dilute)"
View attachment 44879
Why is that? I suggested 10W fork oil.

That's why I included "usually", with "50/50".

These are just general answers to general, and not very detailed, questions.

Your kinda nitpicking...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Read it out:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Your kinda nitpicking...
jkv357 What do you want? The problem of the thread opener is very clear(and not general), it is with road conditions that are not suitable for the CBR250R motorcycle.
And what do you answer to that? That you recommend not making any change and sticking with the same absorber and the same fork oil.
Question reminder:
road condition is too poor
jkv357 Our friend RodgerMillan refers to an information page regarding adjusting the rider's weight, and that too does not solve the problem of a particularly damaged road.

jkv357 The thread opener asks about a Mutol (Mutol is specific not general), and what is your answer? Usually 50/50. And this is not true, so do not write a correction, leave the mistake without reference. What do you want?
Question reminder:
can I use Motul Coolant

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
jkv357 What do you want? The problem of the thread opener is very clear(and not general), it is with road conditions that are not suitable for the CBR250R motorcycle.
And what do you answer to that? That you recommend not making any change and sticking with the same absorber and the same fork oil.
Question reminder:

jkv357 Our friend RodgerMillan refers to an information page regarding adjusting the rider's weight, and that too does not solve the problem of a particularly damaged road.

jkv357 The thread opener asks about a Mutol (Mutol is specific not general), and what is your answer? Usually 50/50. And this is not true, so do not write a correction, leave the mistake without reference. What do you want?
Question reminder:
The question isn't very clear to me.

Read the title of the thread -
Shock absorber oil

The thread then stated -

"Which shock absorber should I use for my CBR 250r..."

So what is he looking for? Oil for his forks ("shock absorber") or a new shock? Do you think I should have suggested an Ohlins rear shock that's fully adjustable? I don't think that's what he wants.

I guess I should have searched for "Motul Motorcycle Coolant" to check if it was a concentrate or premixed.

I admit I should have read the thread closer before replying, but there's really no need to react quite how you have.

·
Registered
188 Posts
...Ohlins rear shock that's fully adjustable...
The score of our CBR250R on roads that are not well paved is a bad score, there is no aftermarket part that fits our CBR that can significantly help deal with bad paved roads. All of the proposed improvements to our model are for well-paved roads. That is why my main suggestion was to consider replacing the motorcycle.
Maybe I'm wrong? All is good.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The score of our CBR250R on roads that are not well paved is a bad score, there is no an aftermarket part that fits our CBR that can significantly help deal with bad paved roads. All of the proposed improvements to our model are for well-paved roads. That is why my main suggestion was to consider replacing the motorcycle.
Maybe I'm wrong? All is good.
I agree. I think that would be the best choice.

Something with long-travel suspension, like a dual sport.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts