Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to augment the otherwise incredibly comprehensive tool kit supplied in the US.

[turn sarcasm off]

In addition to the usual suspects, I want to add a shock spanner for adjusting the pre-load. Can anybody recommend a particular wrench that will do the job - as proven by personal use - and provides enough leverage and sufficient clearance to use without excessive risk of damage to my fingers? Bonus points if it will fit under the seat.

Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
221 Posts
I want to augment the otherwise incredibly comprehensive tool kit supplied in the US.

[turn sarcasm off]

In addition the usual suspects, I want to add a shock spanner for adjusting the pre-load. Can anybody recommend a particular wrench that will do the job - as proven by personal use - and provides enough leverage and sufficient clearance to use without excessive risk of damage to my fingers? Bonus points if it will fit easily under the seat.

Thanks.

Mark
I would suggest spending more money and getting a good one, but if all else fails, you can buy the one that is supplied by Honda for the UK version of this bike. Its part # 89202-KY1-700. Gurenteed to work and fit under the seat, not guaranteed for quality or ease of use.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I assumed the OEM spanner was probably "low bidder" quality, and I expect it to be tough to actually use. I'd prefer a tool which will result in less frustration, assuming one is available that won't break the bank - or require a large bag to carry.

I would suggest spending more money and getting a good one, but if all else fails, you can buy the one that is supplied by Honda for the UK version of this bike. Its part # 89202-KY1-700. Gurenteed to work and fit under the seat, not guaranteed for quality or ease of use.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
So you want to carry a great heavy C wrench that will be used once in its life?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Preload adjuster is 'ride height adjuster' ...nothing more.. set sag to your weight and forget it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
That only works if your riding conditions never change. Straight open highway, tight twisties or a track day are not the same. Also, from time to time I ride two up. If your the only one who rides on it on the same roads everyday, then your good to go.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Preload adjuster is 'ride height adjuster' ...nothing more.. set sag to your weight and forget it.
riding height ?..i assume your talking about how much the back end gives when you ride over a bump or pothole..it's preset at 2 out of 5 from the factory...i set mine to 3 cuz im over 200lbs...an hour later I put back on 2 because 3 felt too hard

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So you want to carry a great heavy C wrench that will be used once in its life?
No. I don't want to carry a great heavy C wrench that will be used once in its life. That's the point of the post.

I want to carry a compact, lightweight spanner that offers enough length for decent leverage and a good angle for access to the monoshock, and that reduces the risk of damage to my knuckles.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You're right...as long as the load isn't subject to change. What if I add a passenger (even for a relatively short jaunt)? What if I load the bike with camping gear and supplies for a weekend (or a week)?

When I carry a passenger on my BV250, I adjust the pre-load as a matter of course, and reset it when I'm back to solo riding. The Piaggio has the advantage of dual rear shocks, so access for pre-load adjustment is easy. The CBR...not so much.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sky is right. The CBR is a pain to adjust. Worst of any bike I've ever been on. We use spanners at our machine shop. We get lots of "cheap" spanners with some of the equipment we use. Plenty of extras in my tool box. Grabed one and tossed it under the seat. Other than this, I am very happy with the bike. I have a 70 mile commute to work. Gas savings pays for the bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts