Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking into buying a new helmet and i have come to picking between the gt air or the rf1200 by shoei. just hoping to get some input on which one is better for the 250r, for noise, air flow, ect.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
The gt air reportedly is quieter than the rf1200. The consumer will also get an internal sunscreen. Of course this costs more but, as you're looking at an expensive helmet line the few xtra $$ may not be an issue. Needless to say, make sure the fit is proper. I own a Shoei rf1100, the precursor to the 1200, and love it. I don't find it too noisy but admit I wld like a quieter ride. I solve this issue with listening to my Bluetooth tunes :) Another issue with the Shoei rf line is visor fog which is a common complaint. This is also solved with a pin-lock

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The gt air reportedly is quieter than the rf1200. The consumer will also get an internal sunscreen. Of course this costs more but, as you're looking at an expensive helmet line the few xtra $$ may not be an issue. Needless to say, make sure the fit is proper. I own a Shoei rf1100, the precursor to the 1200, and love it. I don't find it too noisy but admit I wld like a quieter ride. I solve this issue with listening to my Bluetooth tunes :) Another issue with the Shoei rf line is visor fog which is a common complaint. This is also solved with a pin-lock
Ive been saving for quite sometime fora good helmet so a few extra $$ isnt going to bother me if i get what i want. ive tried then both on. they both feel good to me in med size. I have cycle gears sedici strada? helmet right now. It is more noisy then i like. even with my sena on i can still hear quite a bit unless i turn it up to mid-high range of volume. As far as the rf1200 i planned on getting a pin lock when i bought the helmet as i want a tinted visor.

Another question though. When i was at the store one of employees said that shoei doesnt have tinted visors for the gt air? Something about shoei didnt want to have a tinted visor and a drop down used at the same time. Is that true that you cant get a tinted visor for the gt air?

·
Super Moderator
6,913 Posts
Even with the very best helmets there will be wind noise at higher speeds... the only solution is to use ear plugs. I've found the silicone type to work the best at blocking wind noise.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even with the very best helmets there will be wind noise at higher speeds... the only solution is to use ear plugs. I've found the silicone type to work the best at blocking wind noise.
Looks like im going to have to look into those too lol. I do mostly city driving right now, how much noise do the earplugs block out? Are there different ratings to them?

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Thanks for the concern Schroeder:) In my ripe "middle age" years I'm hearing great. I love listening to music when I ride. Although the volume is not turned high. I should try ear plugs WITH the tunes....perhaps???

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
At inner city riding you probably won't need any but once you hit something like 50+ mph the noise inside the helmet can become so loud that ones hearing will take damage over time. There are differently rated plugs but for the CBR pretty much all will get it done (we can't go that fast on them). I bought some cheap silicone ones from a pharmacy (I guess they are usually used to block the sounds of a heavily snorring spouse :grin2:) but they get the job done nicely.

@l_t_r
I'm 34 and my hearing is already reduced by roughly 30% (have only been at discotheques for 4 times in my life and never listened to loud music). That's why I'm so concerned to protect that bit of hearing I still have (always funny when talking to someone on TeamSpeak...the things I think to understand....and then they said something completely differently...).
There are some plugs that have headphones integrated into them. Those should work.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
OP.....my rf1100 didn't come with a tinted visor. My bf's Shoei didn't come with one either. Some brands do provide a clear and a tinted visor with a helmet purchase. The gt air has a drop down tinted visor. I have seen tinted visors for Shoei's for sale from TheVisorShop.com. It's a UK company. Try googling ;)

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I'm teasing you Schroeder;). You are very correct with hearing loss over time. I need to make it my custom to pop in earplugs for highway travel. What's funny is, I wear them to sleep at night as I'm a light sleeper and hear EVERYTHING. Even when I'm on call

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Schroeder-thanks for the advice ill check out some silicon ones around town. maybe stop by cyclegear or something and pick some up

L_T_R-thanks for the site. ill check them out and maybe itll help make my decision on a helmet

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
BTW I would recommend a helmet with an integrated sun visor. When I read the stories of having to swap the whole visor out at night I cringe. One flip of a finger and my sun visor is up or down, just as I need it.

·
Super Moderator
6,913 Posts
Schroeder-thanks for the advice ill check out some silicon ones around town. maybe stop by cyclegear or something and pick some up

L_T_R-thanks for the site. ill check them out and maybe itll help make my decision on a helmet
Not sure if Cycle Gear sells silicone ear plugs or not... I know Walmart does in their sporting goods dept., also you can likely find them at gun shops.

BTW I would recommend a helmet with an integrated sun visor. When I read the stories of having to swap the whole visor out at night I cringe. One flip of a finger and my sun visor is up or down, just as I need it.
I've got the Shoei Qwest, which is very easy to change out the shield on. I don't ride at night, but if I did it wouldn't be an issue to carry the clear shield in my tail bag and change out the tinted one when the sun goes down.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ill have to stop by wal mart and my local gun shops first as they are closer then my closest cycle gear.

Also im stupid and ride with a tinted visor at night. Im not super worried about changing it out at night. As i do most city riding and not any country rural area riding the having lots of street lights help me see.
I suppose having a not very dark tinted visor helps too

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have had my GT Air for approx one year. IMHO it's a great helmet based on build quality, weight/balance, airflow and sound insulation. All that, AND a built in sunscreen!
Expensive, but worth it.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I've got the Shoei Qwest, which is very easy to change out the shield on. I don't ride at night, but if I did it wouldn't be an issue to carry the clear shield in my tail bag and change out the tinted one when the sun goes down.
I don't know, I'm very light sensitive (hell, there isn't much I'm not sensitive to:|) and whenever the light level changes I have to adjust my visor. When I'm riding through our countryside I frequently go through areas with dark thick forests (sun screen up) which then lead to open fields again (sun screen down) and back into forests (sun screen up) and so on. I probably adjust my visor ten + times during a 2 hour ride. Wouldn't want to have to swap it every time.:frown2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts