Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopmix's post on "Thinking about jumping ship" (buying a CBR600 cause the CBR250 can't do things that require bookoo power) got me thinking.

My last street bike was an early 90's CBR900RR. That bike was the last of a 15 year string of fast bikes and a Porsche 911 that gave great pleasure playing on the interstates in the northeast US.

One thing that all of those fast bikes and cars could do, that the CBR250 can't even think about, was to "shoot the gap" on freeways.

Moderately light freeway traffic seems to run in groups. Ideal conditions are when traffic is such that groups of cars running about the same speed space themselves a mile or so apart.

When this happens you often have a good view of that whole intervening part of the freeway from the front of one group to the end of the next group.

Shooting the gap is when you work your way through one group, get to the head of it and can enough of the freeway to feel secure that there isn't a highway patrol lurking on the side of that stretch of highway between you and the next group.

That next group then becomes your front man. If they see a cop, they'll react in a way that will tip you off.

So, when you get to the front of a group and assess the gap as "safe", you shoot it whacking the gas till you get up to either the tail end of the next group OR hit a your personal maximum speed.

With the CBR900RR that speed could be 150mph. With today's big bikes I'm sure it could be a lot higher.

What's your read? Evil Reincarnate or Great Fun or In-Between?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I tend to shoot for the middle of the gaps. Theirs no traffic there. If your riding with another bike or car, and you play it right, you can create your own gaps.

It's that standing wave theory.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts