Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Short tour, toolkit musts?

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  arn 
#1 ·
About to take my CBR250R on it's first longish, inter island, 3 day tour. Anyone who has done this have any advice on what tools other than the standard pliers/adjustable wrench (also bringing a multi tool thingey), screw driver set would be good to have for this particular bike?

#3 · (Edited)
As above, but make sure you have a 5mm as well as a 4.5mm allen key (the mirrors are mounted with the smaller allen keys, which is not part of the toolkit for Indian bikes, at least), and they have a habit of working loose sometimes.
If you plan to do bigger distances, 20/24 spanners would be useful (rear axle).

#4 ·
Thanks. As this bike is new to all of us I especially appreciate input from those who have done tours on it and discovered 'special needs'.

I got my bike off a guy who had only had it for two months, he sold it on because his business went belly up. I didn't get a tool kit, and I think he might have modified a couple of small things.

#6 · (Edited)
wow...premier costs just as much as my liability with comprehensive/uninsured motorist insurance for a full year does..for another hundred I could upgrade to full coverage with roadside assistance......I'll pass, but i guess if money wasn't an issue for me it would be worth it for the peace of mind if nothing else. :)

#9 ·
Thanks all for the tips. As is I am on day three of my trip, am staying over with friends for a day and half of "no-biking" but will be heading home in two days. So far (touch wood) I haven't needed to pull the kit out but am going to look into a couple of additional things taht you guys mentoned for my kit when i get home. I actually don't have any pressurized cans with me as it gets really hot here in Java (a bar of chocolate in my panniers was literally liquid!!!). Need to source some non-pressurized chain lube (lubricated it before leaving, but loads of rain, dust etc in the last 500 km)

#11 ·
Pressurized cans are not available everywhere.

I prefer to use a battery powered pump. Beware of cheap pumps, with dodgy castings, though - they have a habit of breaking in a manner such that repairs are impossible when you need them most. I'm using the "slime" pump at present, seems to be fairly decent for the price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.