Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

New to the forum, I also put this thread in the "performance" area but think it belongs here.... Hope I can get some feedback! :)

I come in search of some guidance from you experienced cibby 250ers...

I have to preface my question with a quick "story". My road to the 'sport' of riding a motorcycle has been one rocky road and now I am at a crossroads.

You see, a year ago I decided I needed something dramatically fuel efficient, affordable and reliable to commute to work since I drove a minimum of 52 miles to work everyday and was putting huge burden on my little ol' 04 focus and wallet (gas). So I decided to buy a scooter since I was actually afraid of speed and dying on two wheels. You know that those who haven't ridden think of bikes as a death sentence (and by those I mean most moms).

So I went ahead and bought a 150cc vespa which was fun but I soon found myself literally outgrowing it FAST and taking way too long to get to work since I couldn't ride freeways, and unfortunately it had mechanical issues too so I rode it 2 weeks and it went back to the dealer and since they had to ship parts from Italy (or at least that's what they said) they took forever and I just got tired after 2 weeks cuz mind you I paid CASH for it...

One thing led to another and after almost 30 days in the shop under warranty covered issues I went in mad and furious demanding my money back under a lemon like law scenario. it was a huge hassle but I ended up having to take a deal (bureaucratic crap) and getting some money back and a '04 buell blast. the upgrade from the 150cc to 500cc was wonderful and I knew a lot about blasts and was fortunate enough to get one of those that were a hit rather than a miss.

My problem now is that a year later with a blast and its reputation and 10k miles on the clock I feel it may end up starting to have issues and also value wise I feel like every mile and day that goes buy it is worth less and less. So I've decided to trade it in but again I am restricted to a budget of around 4-5k (including the trade in of the blast) and researching the CBR 250R sounds like the dream bike except for one little concern. (and this is where you can help)

I remember how dreadful it was riding the vespa on a little highway with a speed limit of 55 because if there was even a hint of wind that thing would struggle like no other and barely hit 50, so naturally cars would go around me and look at me like saying "get of the road fool!" I actually did once exit the highway cuz it just couldn't keep up. likewise if the wind was pushing, it would actually hit it's top marked speed of 60mph...

So I guess the question is, will I have those same issues on the CBR, given that my commute now requires freeway speeds of generally 65 but sometimes a bit more, and also I live in good ol' Utah where 30mph winds are a normal occurring thing.

I feel like I am in a position to finally get the right bike, and I LOVE everything about the CBR250R. EVERYTHING, but the speed factor.

So, can anyone help? Any experiences? Advise? Or even other 5k$ larger displacement alternatives? Thanks a ton!

PS: I'm 28yo 5' 9'' 175lbs. Male

·
1,305 Posts
hey DR.
i ride the Los Angeles freeway traffic everyday, come wind rain or shine.

i'm 5'8 170.

i have no issues with keeping up with traffic, the bike will hold 70mph without issue.
doesn't get affected by wind anymore or less then any other bike

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a 2011 CBR250R/A that was just delivered 3/16. Yesterday I rode home in wind gusts of 30mph. It was a bit unnerving to get pushed around, but at no point did the bike not have enough HP. I'm a VERY new rider (MSF license class completed 3/11). So, a big part of this is undoubtedly my lack of experience.

Regardless, I'm a mom and a rider--and love my CBR! The fuel efficiency combined with nimble handling, power and design simply cannot be matched. Good luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm on the heavy side, 220 lbs and the CBR250R has no problem keeping speeds of 70+ for me and it still has plenty more. Riding in crosswinds can be challenging even with bigger bikes. You just have to let the bike work itself through the crosswinds and not try to fight it. The more you fight the handlebars, the worse it will be.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Sounds to me that the CBR is exactly what you are looking for..a fuel efficient, afforable, fun to ride commuter..65-70 mpg, and as the other folks have said before me, it can handle freeway speeds just fine..my advice? go to a dealer, sit on one, proceed home on your new cee bee 250..its a great bike!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts