Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. I live in Tampa, FL, I want the black ABS CBR250R, and I have called this dealership by Orlando, FL, that seems pretty good because they don't charge dealer fees, freight, and setup. They also have the ABS model for $4,297.00. The problem is I have to wait for that one to come in stock. I have also made the loan application and I am in their system, but they won't pre-approve me simply because the bike is not there yet. They also said that they will give me a call when the bike arrives and there supposedly is a waiting list for it because they say "it's a hot" bike. I asked the lady who I talked to and she said she can't identify my position on the waiting list because they "will simply figure out" who is the more interested or more commited on actually getting the bike when it arrives. She said once the bike/bikes get in their dealership, whoever they call and shows commitment have to make a $250.00 deposit and there is also no guarantee that the bike will cost that $4,297.00 that they have advertised, but will not exceed that MSRP of $4,500.00.

So my question is... is it worth calling them to see if I could make my deposit in advance (I didn't ask her this/and she never mentioned it), that way I will have a guaranteed sale in advance? My co-worker also told me that if I do this, then it's guaranteed that they will sell me the bike for the MSRP price. I'm also willing to pay for the MSRP price knowing that they don't charge anything other than tags and a total of 7% in total Florida taxes (6% state & 1% county), so I'm not sure if if it's even worth it that I try to bargain that $200.00 difference.

Please advice. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Blah, blah, blah...... I want this, I want that, because I want to look cool and safe. Arrrgh, just dreaming the fantasy.

Get real.

If you have the cash, buy the bike you can afford (even if it is second hand) and ride it.

If not, start saving a few pennies.

All the vehicles I have owned were second hand, and paid for in full, in cash. None cost more than $US1,000. Properly maintained, they have served me well. My current ride is a 14 year old ex-rental, which I picked up for $US500, 8 years ago. It has now done over 190,000 km. It has drum brakes front and rear, which are just fine.

I came back.... perhaps I should have stayed away.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I guess it's up to me to serve as a bad example :D

If it were me (I'm an impulsive s.o.b.) and assuming that these bikes are in demand and supplies are short, I would probably put the money down if it were something that I was truly biting at the bit to obtain.

I paid MSRP on mine plus the ridiculous extra fees here in Nor Cal.
Yes, I could have waited. Yes, I could have found a better deal.
No, I couldn't handle the situation of being without a bike anymore. I went almost two years without a bike and was starting to lose my sanity.
Cost be damned, I got the first 250 I could find and never looked back. The joy I get from it is priceless.

I've never had a lot of money (main reason for the 250) but I know there are many, many, many things worth more than money. The zen of riding is one of them.

·
Registered
999 Posts
All the vehicles I have owned were second hand, and paid for in full, in cash.
I think i must be your polar opposite :D
All my bikes have been brand spanking new and financed.
All my cars have been used up second/third/fourth hand rust buckets but my bikes have been new.

It a hang up of mine. I can't own another man's bike. I'm just weird like that :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Michael, I am actually very realistic, and I fully understand your point - I do prefer to buy a used motorcycle, and I'm getting a motorcycle to save money through mpg savings and insurance. I also have a house that I'm paying by myself and I barely have enough money for anything else, that's why I'm financing this motorcycle. I was getting tempted of buying this $1,500.00 used 2006 Honda Rebel with only 9,000 miles on it and I thought it was a pretty good deal if the bike had no issues. The problem with the bike, though, is that it doesn't have ABS, and if you check the title of my thread, it's very specific that I'm looking for a bike with ABS. ABS is the feature that I want the most in this motorcycle (even though what I got from my research suggests this is a near perfect motorcycle for beginners), and it is the feature that gets me stuck into the waiting list; how many other motorcycles do you know that has ABS at a $4.5k MSRP?

And continuing with the concept of being realistic, I actually would be more than happy to get a freeway-minimum 150cc motorcycle or scooter. The savings from a lower insurance and higher mpg would be astronomical if I can get a ride like that... but still, the problem lies in the fact that there is no ABS in that set; not even the the $4.5k MSRP Honda SH150i.

So there you go. This will be my first motorcycle and it is going to be a road-rash-free, somewhat, CBR250R with ABS! This is, after all, the CBR250R forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Metalstorm, I'm afraid that I will actually go that route. The $200 difference will be offset by the $100+ a month I'll be saving in insurance and gas by storing my car and getting that CBR(minus all the initial expenses for getting a motorcycle, i.e. gear and early maintenance).

·
Registered
999 Posts
I went from spending about $40 a week on gas to about $8 a week since I got this bike. Your right about the offset. After my gas savings, my bike payment averages out to about $-13 a month :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
It sounds to me like they're trying to goad you into an impulse buy. Yes, the CBR250 sells well, but it's hardly impossible to get. If you _really_ want this bike, this is what you do.

1. Find all the Honda Powersports dealerships in your area. The website says there are a bunch in and around Tampa. Visit all of them that are within an hour's drive. In person. Talk to them, tell them what you're looking for, ask tons of questions. If anyone's a jerk to you, walk out and don't go back.

2. Go to your local credit union and get pre-approved on a vehicle loan. Dealership financing is nearly always a ripoff, but feel free ask them if they can do better.

3. If any dealerships that you like have the bike, then great. Give them the (fair) amount you want to pay out the door and tell them that the check is waiting at the bank. Don't pay more than MSRP out the door. That includes taxes, title, and all fees. (Excepting maybe delivery because that does cost them something.) Many people here have come well under MSRP out the door, but it varies by location.

4. If none of them have the bike, go to the dealership you like the most and wait. If they want you to make a deposit, that's fine, but insist that they guarantee yours will be in on the next shipment and settle on a price right then and there. Get it in writing, too. A deposit says, "I'm committed to buying this bike from you." You're entitled to some commitment from them as well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Be ready to wait a long time... When I got mine, they told me they were not getting more until feb. In lakeland, the first place I went did not have ABS, but they had a few non ABS... a week later they had none and have not had any more any other time I went in there. I got a call back from Honda of Winter Have saying they had a black ABS, which I was looking for, in and available after somebody who was waiting turned it down in order to wait for the red one. They knocked off some of the dealer fees and such for me. You also have to account for sales tax though. I think mine was 5500 out the door. I knew what I wanted and knew it was in high demand, so I paid what I felt comfortable paying.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
and I'm getting a motorcycle to save money through mpg savings and insurance.
If you are a commuter and want to save money on gas, there is no other bike in the US that can do what the CBR250R can do. I average 87 mpgUS at 67 mph in the summer. My Ninja gets 66mpg. Check out fuelly. The rebel has a too leaned back, parachute position to ride well at highway speed.
Honda US financing is the best. No money down, tax, tags, helmet, and accessories all rolled into the loan at 1.9% for 3 years. Ride it all away free for 45 days until the first bill comes. My insurance is $250/ year for full coverage. If you don't get much rain, you will never miss ABS and Non ABS bikes are much easier to get right now but rumor has it that eventually Honda will phase out the Non ABS version. I ride in really bad weather so I should have held out for ABS but I might still be waiting. If you really want the bike don't wait. Get pre approved and find a Powerhouse dealer because they get first dibs on any hot selling bike. Let them hold your deposit and don't balk at paying sticker so you will be at the front of the line. If you had cash, you could easily find a Non ABS used for $3200 but at 1.9% and still cheap insurance, financing a new CBR250R is not a big loss if you plan to keep it. Who knows what inflation will do to the money you are paying them back with in three years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, eil.

Yes, I've already visited two dealerships, and they're both rip-offs. I went into the first one because I was getting my car's oil changed by my regular service center, and this was only at a walking distance. I walked in there and one guy thought I was gullible because I was getting a starter 250, so he tried to talk me out of getting an ABS model and wanted me to get their non-ABS bike they had in stock instead. The other one looked like it was a flea market, and nobody greeted me the whole time I was there, so I got out of that place in less than 10 mins.

This dealership I'm trying to get this bike, though, seems like it has a very good business model. And they also seem like they have the biggest inventory around where I live. But, really, thank you for that advice about not going over the MSRP in including everything such as title and taxes, because I was willing to add the taxes on the MSRP and whatever other fees they might charge me aside from not having freight, setup, and dealer fees.

I'm also pre-approved by my credit union for $5,000.00 with a 6% rate, so I won't have any problem rejecting theirs if they can't get me a great rate.

By the way, are you talking about delivery to their dealership(most likely) or delivery to my house, knowing that I'm new? If they could actually deliver it to my house, as long it's not too much, I would be more than happy to have it done like that because I really could use more practice, instead of practicing at the mild traffic neighborhood behind the dealership when I get it in the morning and hoping for the best driving it 70 miles back to home in the afternoon - I've only touched a clutch in my whole life at my MSF class!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi, Spiked1, the dealership I was talking about is the Winter Haven one! And, grrrr, I guess I would have to add the taxes on top of the MSRP? :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, sendler. Yes, I'll be mainly commuting with it. Sunshine, rain, groceries, you name it, I'll do it with the CBR. My car is going to be placed into storage in my garage. My work commute is only 11 miles one way and at between 40 and 45 mph speed limit so the bike is really the most reasonable. And I want a bike that I could at least use at the interstate, occasionally, because I'm sure I'm going to be riding like crazy once I get rolling with it since I won't be worrying much about gas.

I actually want a PCX or SH150i, but the PCX has the interstate limitation, and the SH150i costs as much as the CBR250R's MSRP and it has no ABS, so the ABS CBR is really the supreme choice.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Hi, sendler. Yes, I'll be mainly commuting with it. Sunshine, rain, groceries, you name it, I'll do it with the CBR. My car is going to be placed into storage in my garage. My work commute is only 11 miles one way and at between 40 and 45 mph speed limit so the bike is really the most reasonable. And I want a bike that I could at least use at the interstate, occasionally, because I'm sure I'm going to be riding like crazy once I get rolling with it since I won't be worrying much about gas.

I actually want a PCX or SH150i, but the PCX has the interstate limitation, and the SH150i costs as much as the CBR250R's MSRP and it has no ABS, so the ABS CBR is really the supreme choice.
Both of the scooters will top out at 66 mph right? So would be a hazard on the highway. A CBR125R would beat the 250's already amazing mileage by another 15% at 45 mph, close to the PCX, and can still top out at 75mph due to much better aerodynamics than the scooter but they aren't sold in the US. The CBR250R is a great all around bike for solo riding. You won't regret getting one. Jump in line. The ABS bikes are rare and in demand. I hope you can get one without paying the $300 extra prep fee that is common for these bikes in all but the most depressed states. Even still, it is worth it if you will really ride a lot. I get pizzas, everything with my bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Both of the scooters will top out at 66 mph right? So would be a hazard on the highway. A CBR125R would beat the 250's already amazing mileage by another 15% at 45 mph, close to the PCX, and can still top out at 75mph due to much better aerodynamics than the scooter but they aren't sold in the US. The CBR250R is a great all around bike for solo riding. You won't regret getting one. Jump in line. The ABS bikes are rare and in demand. I hope you can get one without paying the $300 extra prep fee that is common for these bikes in all but the most depressed states. Even still, it is worth it if you will really ride a lot. I get pizzas, everything with my bike.
The PCX is a 125 and that 66 mph cap is about right with that one. Honda had it also rated at 110 mpg on their website, and fuelly has it at a around 95 mpg average. I live in FL, and that means it's almost flat everywhere, so 60 something mph cap is acceptable to, I guess everywhere, except the interstate. The SH150i is interstate legal and I think caps at over 70 mph, so I guess I can brave it out on that one in there, but it costs just as much as the CBR's MSRP. Both doesn't have ABS either, so CBR is really the only option. And I really want ABS also because FL does rain a good amount of time.

Thanks for hoping for me also, sendler. I already know they don't charge for those, so what I'm doing right now is just trying to squeak in as much savings as I could.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
$200 is nothing, I see ppl here want to spend 5 times that on shitty shiny stuff that on crap that makes no diff to performance ans just adds weight.

But ...yes wait for ABS, nobody is complaining about the abs model braking performance.

Finance for a motorcycle? (especially a cheap Thai commuter bike) thats like getting finance for a hoe lol.

It is a disposable item and may be gone tomorrow.. just a mangled mess of alloy and plastic... but you still have that monthly payment to make regardless.

And yeah black ones are way cooler.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If it was the WH one, then they do have dealer fees. They might have been running a dealer special though where they knock them off to clear out inventory. If you are going to have to wait, I would just wait for the 2012 model. it seems likely that you would be waiting just as long. That dealership delivered to my house at no charge though, and were very helpful with finding an MSF course. I felt comfortable walking out the door when I left there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Trikoy I say go for it man, and don't worry about having it delivered to your house for a fee. If it is what you want put your money down and secure your place in line with the next shipment to your dealer. This was my first year riding and I was nervous as hell bringing it home from the dealer but was glad I did. No better way to learn than throw you into the fray of heavy traffic.

Try and get yourself a deal, I got the first one available in my area so I got nailed with all the fees etc from my dealer. I didn't care because the bike was cheap in comparison to what I was looking at before. I had my first baby on the way so limited my money for new toys. I have really enjoyed it so no regrets going for something smaller. :cool:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts