Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a thing as an aftermarket slipper clutch for the CBR250R?

It would be cool for racing this summer. Just askin' ..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slipper clutch is of interest to those who are racing the bike... like me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would just about get a whole new bike just for racing if I was gonna do a slip clutch. And it's not too hard to shift rather quickly on the 250r as it is. How would it do in consecutive downshifts? Especially with the possibility of rpm jumps locking something up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slipper clutches are designed to prevent something from locking up. That's the whole point of using them

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
Thanks for the link! I knew how they worked from an intuitive point of view but it is nice to get some practical knowledge. They would shine in a racing application, especially in the rain but would be nice on a street bike. Along the same lines as ABS where an experienced rider would rarely have to use it but would awesome if you needed it.

Reactions: NotPedrosa

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you go for track runs, slipper clutch is the best way but for daily commuter no need or better stay with your stock kit.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I have done some brutal downshifts & mistakes on track and had the tacho WELL above the 10,800 revlimiter going too hot into corners and never did the rear lock up,

I just don't think the cbr needs a slipper.

Reactions: Giko

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
But what if you put the CFR450 engine in it?!?! :p

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
It makes a sort of dull wailing noise above 12,000 and feels flat as the engine tries to retard things.
then as it drops to 10,800 it does the revlimiter stutter.

Its a Honda, you cant break it :D

Reactions: DickyDck

·
Registered
65 Posts
It makes a sort of dull wailing noise above 12,000 and feels flat as the engine tries to retard things.
then as it drops to 10,800 it does the revlimiter stutter.

Its a Honda, you cant break it :D
Reminds me of the one time I misshifted my integra on the freeway...9k screams on those B18 engines...hahaha

Good info on the slipper clutch...I'm definitely interested. I've gotten the rear end loose downshifting a little too late at the track. Gotta get the forks rebuilt first tho, bottoming those suckers out is not fun.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I know old post, but I am going to do an engine upgrade on my 250, going with a big bore kit to make it 305cc. Yes I know all the drama and BS I will here about buying a bigger faster bike. I ALREADY OWN A 1000cc so no need to chirp in about that. Its my bike my money ill spend and do what I want with it. Back to the slipper clutch I think it would be a nice addition to the 250. Hence the reason I am purchasing 1. You opinion my opinion. Lets keep in mind MY BIKE not yours <3

Reactions: DickyDck

·
Registered
235 Posts
Has anyone installed the Takegawa slipper clutch on a CBR250R? The instructions are in Japanese - anyone know where to find English instructions? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Has anyone installed the Takegawa slipper clutch on a CBR250R? The instructions are in Japanese - anyone know where to find English instructions? Thanks in advance for any help.
Good to know, I'm picking up 2 kits tomorrow from a local shop. I just recently bought another 2012 CBR250r for dirt cheap and got a great deal on 2 Takegawa kits this guy had sitting around forever. So the instructions are in japanese only???? any pictures at least?

·
Registered
85 Posts
It seems like it is supposed to be pretty straight forward according to the takegawa main site...

????????????????????/???? ????????????

"Because of the bolt-on design, it can be made into a slipper clutch simply by exchanging with a normal clutch.
Friction disc, plate, spring used normal"

of course this is just me google translating it all, I'm chinese not japanese :p , but it seems as long as you put the friction and the steels in the way you normally would, the basket should only go on one way and the pressure plate should only go on one way. then again when we take it apart it could be a total cluster fark!

Reactions: dilop

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good to know, I'm picking up 2 kits tomorrow from a local shop. I just recently bought another 2012 CBR250r for dirt cheap and got a great deal on 2 Takegawa kits this guy had sitting around forever. So the instructions are in japanese only???? any pictures at least?
Please keep us updated and add pics if possible:nerd:

·
Registered
235 Posts

I installed the Takegawa slipper using the Japanese instructions. They have good pictures, so I'm pretty sure I got it right. However, first time using it at the track, the slipper stuck open and fried my clutch plates. After about a lap and a half, my tack spun up to redline while my bike was slowing down. Same as happens when the clutch plates are blown on a normal clutch. Just continuous sliding of the plates. I could run the bike at very low torque/RPMs, but if I tried at all to accelerate, I spun to redline with no power.

So I took the slipper clutch out, threw it away, bought new plates and went back to the stock clutch.

My experience with Takegawa products so far is that they all fail catastrophically. If you decide to install them, I hope you have better luck than I did.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts