Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I installed the Takegawa slipper using the Japanese instructions. They have good pictures, so I'm pretty sure I got it right. However, first time using it at the track, the slipper stuck open and fried my clutch plates. After about a lap and a half, my tack spun up to redline while my bike was slowing down. Same as happens when the clutch plates are blown on a normal clutch. Just continuous sliding of the plates. I could run the bike at very low torque/RPMs, but if I tried at all to accelerate, I spun to redline with no power.

So I took the slipper clutch out, threw it away, bought new plates and went back to the stock clutch.

My experience with Takegawa products so far is that they all fail catastrophically. If you decide to install them, I hope you have better luck than I did.
Seems you are the only one around that has used them, so I will have to hope you maybe got a defective unit? I'll find out in about a week!!! Takegawa appear to be the only company that makes it so very few options around.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So if I order a manual now, it'll come in a lot later than I need it considering I have the cover on my motor taken apart already! Anyone happen to have the torque specs for the spring bolts and the basket nut?

·
Registered
85 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
next question, CRF250L and CBR250R have same interchangeable clutch parts correct? if from the same year?

·
Registered
85 Posts
OK! Slipper clutch in with new clutch kit... and after a very easy and leisurely break in I left it in the garage and will do some hard downshifts tomorrow. So far I've full throttled it a few times to make sure I didn't get the same "stuck" situation that was reported earlier, and there was no slippage at all. Someone asked for pictures and I apologize I totally forgot, but I have another to put in so I'll take snaps of that. Crossing fingers and hoping the downshifts feel better.

Reactions: dilop

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good to know, I'm picking up 2 kits tomorrow from a local shop. I just recently bought another 2012 CBR250r for dirt cheap and got a great deal on 2 Takegawa kits this guy had sitting around forever. So the instructions are in japanese only???? any pictures at least?

I installed the Takegawa slipper using the Japanese instructions. They have good pictures, so I'm pretty sure I got it right. However, first time using it at the track, the slipper stuck open and fried my clutch plates. After about a lap and a half, my tack spun up to redline while my bike was slowing down. Same as happens when the clutch plates are blown on a normal clutch. Just continuous sliding of the plates. I could run the bike at very low torque/RPMs, but if I tried at all to accelerate, I spun to redline with no power.

So I took the slipper clutch out, threw it away, bought new plates and went back to the stock clutch.

My experience with Takegawa products so far is that they all fail catastrophically. If you decide to install them, I hope you have better luck than I did.

Just out of curiosity, when you installed it did it immediately start screwing up after one and a half laps, or did you do some testing with it and it seemed OK and you figured it was safe to take on the track?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I did a little testing on the back roads around my house, but there's no way to replicate the track. It was fine during testing. It only started sticking "open" after a few laps of hard downshifts. I hope your experience is better!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts