Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else seem to have the issue where there is a strong smell of gas while at stopped (with engine running)? My dealer confirmed that there's no gas leak but there are paint residue around the gas tank spout. They think it's a possible gas tank cap issue. :confused:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm only on my second tank of fuel, but I've not experienced this.

When I refilled the first time, I wondered about expansion because it was a very hot day, so I was a little concerned about filling it so high that it would vent gas.

In the end, I only squeezed in 2.4 gallons (but that took the gas to the point where it was just beginning to come over the top of the round plate in the filler. When I started the bike, the top segment of the "gauge" wasn't lit, so I apparently had room to go.

Anybody have any advice as to where to safely consider the tank "full" while filling up?

·
Registered
14 Posts
SkySensor - As I remember from the manual, the plate in the tank is top for filling.
But, I usually fill a little over as I usually fill up before a ride instead of after a ride.
Also, the gas sensor should just be used for reference, as my tank almost never says full, and always has 1.2 gallons in the tank when the first bar is flashing.

·
Registered
999 Posts
You might want to have the dealer check the tanks pressure release valve (assuming it has one which it should).

Does this only happen after the bike's been ridden for a while? I'm thinking maybe the release valve is stuck and as the gas inside the tank expands, it has no where to escape.

That or you're overfilling your tank thus reducing the empty volume needed to compensate for gas expansion.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I just had another thought.
Do these bikes have a charcoal canister?
I don't have mine yet so I can't check it out but,... if it does and if the canister is plugged up (can be caused by over filling the gas tank) or if the line to the canister is plugged or kinked you will get a very strong smell of gas.

On edit: I don't have to check mine. I'm in CA, it has to have a canister by law. I heard this is a world bike meaning they're all built the same for all markets so I might be safe in assuming your bike has a charcoal canister. That would be the very first thing that I would check.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts