Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Smooth clutch-less up shifting - Is it possible?

I already perfected my shifting up and down with just a little bit of clutching, and its smooth and quick.

Recently i start to practice clutchless upshifting it on my way to work. It's really hard to do this on 1->2 because i often end up on neutral. 2->3 is not smooth at all, i feel that bike kind of "jumps", 3->4 is smoother and further upshifts are better and smoother.
Also I figured that best results are achieved at RPM 6-7K. If my RPMs are higher - shifting is not smooth.

Here is a question - I am doing it wrong, with not enough experience, and it can be made perfect and smooth?

Clutchless upshifting done usual way: preload shifter, then blip throttle a little.

·
Registered
323 Posts
"Blip" means give it gas with a quick snap of the throttle.
That is opposite to what is required to upshift.
You need to momentarily close the throttle to upshift with no clutch.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Blip" means give it gas with a quick snap of the throttle.
That is opposite to what is required to upshift.
You need to momentarily close the throttle to upshift with no clutch.
Sorry, used wrong word. Of course I meant "momentarily close". Actually i do not close it, but just roll off a little.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Then it is just practise.
It is more difficult to get it smooth in the lower gears, and rough on everything when not smooth. There is not much point to it unless you are racing. Maybe practise going up to 5th, 6th.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I don't know why, but I had a go at changing gear without using the clutch years ago. Maybe just to see if it can be done, but I didn't bother perfecting the technique. On the odd occasion over the years I have ridden a bike without using the clutch for several days until I can get to a shop, when the clutch cable or clutch lever has been broken.

It's not difficult to do, but (unless you have to) what's the point?

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's not difficult to do, but (unless you have to) what's the point?
You are correct.
It saves a few milliseconds, but unless you are on a racetrack trying to get to the first corner before a competitor, there is no point.
And as I said above, done wrong it is hard on the drive components.

·
Registered
269 Posts
i probably do 50/50 with or without the clutch. the higher your rpms the smoother you will be, make sure to get right back on the gas so the bike doesn't lurch too much. i don't usually do 1-2 to avoid missing the shift by accident. i downshift without too sometimes, mostly out of laziness hehe

·
Registered
72 Posts
Clutchless is easier to get right when you trying to accelerate/decelerate hard. If you're just putting up to speed it's more of a PITA.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm with Michael and r100. Doable with practice but unless you're in a race situation or just practicing so as to tune up your skills, why bother.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I do it into 5th and 6th and never on uphills, and only above 8,000 rpm... but I dont recommend it unless you are very clean and precise... and not while cornering.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As other people have said there's really no point in not using the clutch. Not using the clutch puts a lot of stress on the bike. Clutch plates are a lot cheaper then a new gear box.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I do it through 2-6 every time I'm on my bikes! Not only does if save time and your hand doesn't get tired, it's also fun. It's not stressfull on the tranny at all unless your Doug it wrong. If it did break I wouldn't care anyways since the bike is under warranty. Up hill, down hill, through turns, cutting lanes, all day!

·
Registered
323 Posts
My shifts are buttery smooth now. The movement with the right hand is very subtle and almost imperceptible, just a flick forward and back maybe a millimeter and works best while accelerating which is why people generally use it in the first place. On this bike the ratio between first and second is so great that I use the clutch because I just haven't figured out how to do it smoothly and not accidentally put it into neutral sometimes.

My process:
1. Engine screaming near redline

2. Gently pressure the gear lever until slack is removed and add a little extra pressure.

3. Flick the throttle forward and back, definitely not enough to make the front end dive.

4. Not really a step, the transmission shifts into gear buttery smooth on its own during the flick.

5. Giant smile because it felt so good.:D

·
Registered
323 Posts
My shifts are buttery smooth now. The movement with the right hand is very subtle and almost imperceptible, just a flick forward and back maybe a millimeter and works best while accelerating which is why people generally use it in the first place. On this bike the ratio between first and second is so great that I use the clutch because I just haven't figured out how to do it smoothly and not accidentally put it into neutral sometimes.

My process:
2. Gently pressure the gear lever until slack is removed and add a little extra pressure.
3. Flick the throttle forward and back, definitely not enough to make the front end dive.
4. Not really a step, the transmission shifts into gear buttery smooth on its own during the flick.
You got it dude. Rossi is in trouble now.;)

·
Registered
193 Posts

My process:

Yup. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts