Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my valve inspection last, and no surprise my exhaust valves are still tight. They measured at .009, and the intakes at .008. So, I call dealer today to order new shims. The parts guy has the nerve to be judgemental of me stating "What are you doing the valves for, isn't it a new bike. You you have that serviced here." Um, no. I stated again the parts that I needed and left it at that. I don't need anyone telling me what I can and can't do on MY bike. I'm perfectly able to do a simple valve job, but I guess you need to be certified by HONDA to learn how to properly calculate clearances. Geez. I'm going to have a word with the owner next time I go in there.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The parts guy? Sounds like he would benefit from some basic Customer Service training. Seems like he has forgotten the old adage "The customer is always right."

Either you learn how to do the valves on your bike or the service guy will learn how to do them on your bike. It's a new experience for everyone. :)

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
close enough

Did my valve inspection last, and no surprise my exhaust valves are still tight. They measured at .009, and the intakes at .008.
My intake valve clearance were dead on at .006 inches and my exhausts were close to correct at .010 and .009. Spec is .011 inches so I decided to leave them as is for a few more thousand miles

·
Registered
681 Posts
Is the warranty still good if you do your own service on the valves?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shims

Sendler, how many miles on your bike. Your exhaust at .010 is within spec, but the .009 is tight. Only risk is tuliping the valves if we continue to run them too tight.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Rossman are you sure about this?
Buy shims or other spare parts has nothing to do with the way you disassemble the engine and change them, nor how you touch the cables and add/remove devices.
At least here in Italy: you only have warranty if you don't let anyone unauthorised touch the bike.
Keeping the receipt is just good to remind how much this is costing to you, here.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts

Sendler, how many miles on your bike. Your exhaust at .010 is within spec, but the .009 is tight. Only risk is tuliping the valves if we continue to run them too tight.
I had 900 on it when I checked it. 2000 on it now. I won't bother changing the shims for .002. What are the increments of adjustment that are available for the shims?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Had my 1st service done last week , dropped it off thurs at 10am..picked it up 10am the next day..$270 They said the valves were within spec...The service at 4000 miles i can do myself..so I dont have to take it back till 8000 miles...heck, at $70 an hour dealer rates even an oil change is $70-$110 ...its a rip off

1 - 11 of 11 Posts