Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

So I Bought Myself A New Bike

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  delnorte 
#1 ·
At the beginning of this month I picked up a lightly used Yamaha MT07 (FZ07 to all you Americans) for a good price.

I'd been considering upgrading for a while and the MT seemed to fit the bill. Light weight for it's size, good on fuel and all the magazine reviews raving about it's fun factor. The addition of a rack and screen should make it reasonable for longer trips.

First few rides on the bike and yep, loads of instant overtaking power. Oops I'm doing 90 in a 50 zone.....
But even with a Givi flyscreen fitted the upright riding position means speeds over 70 have me feeling like I'm hanging on in the wind blast. And when riding at sensible speeds you're still left with a heavier bike with heavier controls. The motor might be smoother at low revs due to being a twin but higher gearing still means changing down from top below 40mph.

So after just three weeks of ownership the MT is now sold and the insurance transferred back to my CBR250R. This afternoon I've got a 60 mile ride down to a friend's birthday get-together. I'm quite looking forward to getting back on the CBR for it.

#2 ·
I always thought that naked bikes are uncomfortable because of the wind. I mean who would voluntarily sit in 60+ mph wind? But on a motorcycle that is supposed to be normal... No thanks I need something with some wind protection even at the comparatively low speeds I'm traveling at.

#4 · (Edited)
I always thought that naked bikes are uncomfortable because of the wind. I mean who would voluntarily sit in 60+ mph wind? But on a motorcycle that is supposed to be normal... No thanks I need something with some wind protection even at the comparatively low speeds I'm traveling at.
I've had sport bikes all of my life, so I don't miss the wind protection. My head has always been exposed.

Just did 3 hours straight (both ways) on the Interstate at close to 80 on my naked SV, and wind wasn't a problem.

#3 ·
Alternatively, some of us are as happy as a dog with his head out the truck window, when riding without a windscreen.

I removed the windscreen that came on my CB500X because at all settings it caused buffeting of my helmet at highway speeds. Riding the bike as a naked is fine with me. Touring 400-450 miles per day is not a problem. However, I am an old curmudgeon.

Reactions: delnorte
#5 ·
At the beginning of this month I picked up a lightly used Yamaha MT07 (FZ07 to all you Americans) for a good price.

I'd been considering upgrading for a while and the MT seemed to fit the bill. Light weight for it's size, good on fuel and all the magazine reviews raving about it's fun factor. The addition of a rack and screen should make it reasonable for longer trips.

First few rides on the bike and yep, loads of instant overtaking power. Oops I'm doing 90 in a 50 zone.....
But even with a Givi flyscreen fitted the upright riding position means speeds over 70 have me feeling like I'm hanging on in the wind blast. And when riding at sensible speeds you're still left with a heavier bike with heavier controls. The motor might be smoother at low revs due to being a twin but higher gearing still means changing down from top below 40mph.

So after just three weeks of ownership the MT is now sold and the insurance transferred back to my CBR250R. This afternoon I've got a 60 mile ride down to a friend's birthday get-together. I'm quite looking forward to getting back on the CBR for it.
Interesting.

If I were to replace my '06 SVn right now, I'd most likely go for a FZ-07 (now MT-07 even in the U.S.). It's smaller and lighter than the SV, and I just like it better than the "new" SV.

I was surprised that you didn't like the MT over the CBR, but if you are happy with the lower weight, smaller size, and less power, there's no advantage to the MT.

Good for you for not focusing on "more power" as a requirement. Sounds like the CBR is the right bike for you.

#6 · (Edited)
I think the MT-07 is more upright than the SV, although I haven't ridden a modern SV.

A little more power than the CBR would be nice but I now know that I really don't want the power of a much bigger bike. One disapointment with the MT was that it was no less lumpy below 40mph in top than the CBR. A smaller twin, I'm sure would be better and more like the VTZ250 I used to own which could drop to just 20mph and pull cleanly.
As I've documented elsewhere on this forum the British climate hasn't been kind to my CBR so I will move on to something newer and shinier at some time.

I did demo a Ninja 400, which I quite liked apart from the seat which wasn't at all comfortable for long distance riding.
I'll also be investigating the Yamaha R3 in due course but there's no hurry.

#11 ·
I often think about the Yamaha MT07 for my next bike too, but the CBR600RR keeps calling to me. One reason is that I don't know if I will like not having fairings. The other, is that I love the look of a sportbike.

If I finally see a CBR600RR with ABS locally, I'll finally pull the trigger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.