Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm one of the many noob CBR250R riders that are just now starting out in motorcycling. One of the odd "side effects" of getting into bikes is that I'm now following MotoGP, WorldSBK, and AMA Road Racing series. Never thought that would happen.

I've never really followed any type of racing, and never watched on TV. Guess now that I'm riding a wee bit, I've developed a newfound respect for what those riders and teams go through.

So yeah, its pretty darn thrilling to watch. Unfortunately, TV coverage is pretty sparse for me (in the USA). But at least I can watch most of the AMA superbike and supersport races, Fox Sports 1 has start to show MotoGP races. For WSBK, I cant watch live on my cable service (Comcast), but at least they do get the "on-demand" replays of the races, albeit about 3 weeks after the race occurs.

Anyhoo, I'm still learning the differences on various series, rules, riders, etc. I don't really have any favorites but I cant help but root for the Hayden brothers.

Anybody other noobs out there finding they're becoming motorcycle racing fans?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Yep, count me in! Only 12 months of street riding under my belt so I still have my noob bona fides.

Got an adrenaline rush when I attended the Indy MotoGP this August. I don't subscribe to cable/satellite TV, so this morning I purchased a MotoGP VideoPass so I could watch Silverstone qualifying and races this weekend.

The Lorenzo/Marquez Yamaha/Honda battle on Sunday will be epic!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yep, count me in! Only 12 months of street riding under my belt so I still have my noob bona fides.

Got an adrenaline rush when I attended the Indy MotoGP this August. I don't subscribe to cable/satellite TV, so this morning I purchased a MotoGP VideoPass so I could watch Silverstone qualifying and races this weekend.

The Lorenzo/Marquez Yamaha/Honda battle on Sunday will be epic!
Yes, looking forward to tomorrow's races. Gonna get my coffee and stretch out on the sofa and watch. Hope its not too rainy.

I saw your posts on the Indy races, and I was quite jelly. I might someday go to a race either at Austin or at that new Utah track (Miller I think its called).

Side note - Admin, could you fix my misspelling of "racing" in the thread title? Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you watching live? Moto2 race is at 6:20am EDST here. That would be 4:20am MDT, right?
According to the Comcast scroll schedule for my Fox Sports 1 channel listings, the MotoGP race is at 6:00am MDT and the Moto2 Race is at 10:00am MDT. Their both noted as "live", but I guess they might actually be tape delayed. Either way, I'll watch if I'm home.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Dammit. So I ...um.... slept in, and missed the race on TV. I wont be able to see a replay either. I read that the last couple laps were quite interesting. Congrats JL.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yes, it was an amazing race and the last few laps will be talked about for a while. Too bad you missed it. I had a difficult time not yelling and screaming and waking up the girlfriend in the other room. :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
MC racing on television is fun to watch. But don't try scraping your knee on the mean streets around you.

Your guardian angel usually doesn't clean up the gravel and debris around the next corner. ;)

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Is that for watching via the internet?

I don't "buy" television either.
Yes, you need at least 4Mbps bandwidth down but higher is better of course.

I am very impressed with the sophistication and professionalism of the presentation. Plenty of cameras (trackside, pits, on-board, and airborne), announcers who actually know the sport extremely well, and lots of convenient amenities in the user interface. 720p HD streaming. Compression artifacting during high speed motion of course but that's the digital age we live in. On static shots the PQ is pristine. Audio could be better...monaural digital PCM with no bass doesn't do a lot for sporting ambiance on a surround sound system.

Well worth the cost. I bought the one-month standard pass and it turned out to be about USD $32.00. Should be good for all three events in September.

BTW, the "MultiScreen" pass doesn't mean what it sounds like. It doesn't mean simultaneous streams to multiple devices. It means multi-camera or multi-angle on one screen. So with a PC you could watch 4 or 5 camera feeds om one screen simultaneously (user-selectable which ones you want active).

P.S. Umbrella girls...ahh. :)

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
This form of facing is so addictive not only because we love motos but because chance, rider skill, and human decisions are still such critical components to determination of the outcome. The machines are important of course (as Ducati riders will tell you) but at some level it's more about what's going on with the "jockey" than the "horse."

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Couple of MotoGP VideoPass Screen Shots

The user interface contains bookmarks at important/critical moments in the race, so you can easily review.

I like the way they visually present the starting grid.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am in the same boat, recently started researching motorcycles and will taking my MSF class this week.

I've been looking online for some videos of races and of course I've been DVRing the MotoGP races on Fox Sports1.

Really enjoying the races so far, and learning a lot about the motorcycle world.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts