Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a GoPro over last weekend and a chest mount on Tuesday so I thought I'd try it out on my favorite road. Hope you enjoy!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looks like a real fun road. Wouldn't mind having a crack on it someday

·
Registered
394 Posts
Cool video, that sun is glaring haha.

Awesome that you got a GoPro but I'm not the biggest fan of the chest mount, it really looks like you're holding the handlebars with stiff arms, and of course the fuel tank is killing the scenery :D

Makes me want to post even more videos. Next day that it isn't raining I'll be taking a trip to a little place called the Corkscrew, four tight hairpin corners on a super descent, end of the corners you're about 100m lower than the initial corner. I'll post a video :)

Also! You didn't stop behind the line haha

·
Registered
21 Posts
speaking of corkscrews jubis...

should see if we can get a comparison vid of someone going through the dipper at mt panorama next to someone going through the corkscrew at laguna seca!

anyone got any footage of either atop a cbr?

·
Registered
394 Posts
lol I'm in SA, this is the corkscrew.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Cool. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
455 Posts
why are you shooting in standard def?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
@Jubis I think I'll end up throwing on a helmet mount but... I dont want to mess with my beautiful shoei!! And I know I didnt stop behind the line haha. I completely forgot that stop sign was coming up.

@mdv50524 Its called N San Marcos Rd in Santa Barbara, CA. You should come down and check it out with me!

@TheMente Yeah... when youre living in a house of all guys and your girl is pretty low maintenance (thank god) its hard to find a hairdryer to borrow. Itll happen.

@HopMiX I dont think I am? You can switch the video to 1080p??? :confused:

@Whipsaw I thought M83 would do the trick! Drive had a pretty good soundtrack for... well... driving! :D

·
Registered
501 Posts
Nice vid, music worked with it good. Good prospective from the chest.
i really like those low traffic roads.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I really like the chest view. With helmet cams, the viewer doesn't feel as connect to the ride, but watching those turns felt really interactive. I'm looking into getting a Go Pro soon and I might just get the chest mount, too (I never even heard of it before). I think a higher position will do wonders and maybe try a narrower field of view, just to see the difference.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really like the chest view. With helmet cams, the viewer doesn't feel as connect to the ride, but watching those turns felt really interactive. I'm looking into getting a Go Pro soon and I might just get the chest mount, too (I never even heard of it before). I think a higher position will do wonders and maybe try a narrower field of view, just to see the difference.
That may be what I end up doing! I cant really move it up much more but I'll try. And yeah I was shooting in 960p and that has the widest angle so maybe lowering the angle. Thanks! And GoPros are fun! Edit video, contribute to YouTube instead of trolling it and show off! Nothing better :cool:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Korruptor:
By helmet cam, I'm assuming you're assuming most people fit helmet cams to the top of their helmets, not the chin section :p

In fact, sticking it on the chin section of the helmet gives the closest position to the eyes you can practically get without actually blocking off your own vision whilst riding. Above the eyes you need clearance for the visor, so that pretty much leaves you with the top of the helmet, which I agree, looks a little disjointed - I even made a video comparing these:

As for the viewing angle, it's completely up to you but I prefer the 170 degrees (widest GoPro setting), as again, humans have ridiculous field of view and narrowing that on a camera means you don't see anywhere near the amount you can whilst riding.

The following footage comprises of random snippets of this morning's commute home from work, in the rain (oh joy!). I don't think I pushed the GoPro far enough on the clip, it appears to be looking more downwards than usual. As you can see, I sit there fidgeting with my pants and tach, which a chest mount would not make so obvious, and you can see which way my helmet is facing - of course cameras do not have the ability of a moving lens like we do, this explains why my head check looks strange, the helmet is facing to my right but my eyes are peeled back looking behind my shoulder.

Best bit is that left hand corner at the end, in dry weather I zoom around that one. Before you criticize my lack of head check there, approaching lights were green, by my logic if something was coming across it would either have blaring lights + sirens (police/ambo/fire) or would hit the 4WD that was previously in front of me.

Enjoy:

Final Disclaimer (because I haven't typed enough in this post already):
All of the above is my opinion. As it happens, we all have different opinions, and subsequently the positioning of one's camera for riding footage is completely up to them. I'm not condoning/disapproving of certain video styles, just reflecting on my opinions based on my own experiences. :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pretty sweet rundown of different mounts Jubis! I think I'm gonna ride up the 1 to monterey and back next weekend or over the week. Get my full leathers on tuesday! So maybe I throw on the helmet cam for that! Video will follow :) It seems like it rains a lot where you live Jubis... that doesnt rub you the wrong way or anything? I love SoCal. Never rains :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts