Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, with the weather cooling off, I haven't had the opportunity to finish my cowl painting project, and after going with a friend to pick up a XR50 for his daughter, I got to thinking about dirt bikes.

I contacted another friend of mine that had a '99 Yamaha TTR225 collecting dust, and asked if he had sold it yet. He told me to come get it out of his garage, that the space was worth more to him than the bike was.

Well, for the cost of fuel and a little time, I'm the proud new owner of a severely neglected trail bike.

Both wheels are bent, most of the plastics are broken, and the wiring is a mess, but the price was right.

It's been a few years since I've ridden this thing, and it needed some work then. I got the brakes working and adjusted the chain last time I saw it, and I think that's the last maintenance that it has seen.

·
Super Moderator
2,027 Posts
That bike and the XT225 are classics.

Since I sold my truck, I prefer the street legal versions.

·
Super Moderator
6,925 Posts
... Both wheels are bent, most of the plastics are broken, and the wiring is a mess, but the price was right...
Are the wheel rims actually damaged, or do they just need to be trued?

A replacement seat cover should be pretty inexpensive, maybe about $30. You might also be able to find some reasonably priced replacement plastics as well. I'd imagine that a new wiring harness from Yamaha for a bike like that wouldn't be terribly expensive either.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are the wheel rims actually damaged, or do they just need to be trued?

A replacement seat cover should be pretty inexpensive, maybe about $30. You might also be able to find some reasonably priced replacement plastics as well. I'd imagine that a new wiring harness from Yamaha for a bike like that wouldn't be terribly expensive either.
Both. The wheels have multiple "flat spots" at the lip, and the run-out is pretty excessive. They are also very, very rusted and pitted. The front hub is is good shape, and the rear is usable. I'm still weighing my options on good used wheels, or replacement hoops.

I suggested a $35 Moose racing seat cover when I saw the roll of blue duct tape come out. The motion didn't carry.

It doesn't look like any of the regular manufacturers (Acerbis, Maier, UFO) have plastics available, and for the most part they're not to terribly expensive from Yamaha.

The harness is out of production, but the one that I have is repairable, but the battery cables are another story...

All in all, this thing is a basket case, but it's solid. Mostly, it's going to need 17 years of maintenance and repair. The carb has a hole worn in the diaphragm cover, the chain slider is missing off the swing arm, and a dozen other little things.

It won't get fixed over night, but it will keep me occupied until it warms up again.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a quick pic of the progress so far.

Rims and spokes replaced, new chain, sprockets, handlebars and grips, forks rebuilt, seat recovered, decals removed from tank, valves set, carb rebuilt, and lots and lots of gunk removed.

Reactions: don'tpanic

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, it's used, but it has new packing and stickers. I may have polished it a little too.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I'm working on getting some graphics made, and am still fighting with the carb, but it's nearly done.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Graphics are on!

Reactions: Keith
1 - 11 of 11 Posts