Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4000K miles on the bike so far and zero problems.

No oil leaks. No coolant leaks. No oil burning. I haven't had to add any oil or coolant at all.
Bike starts up every time & runs like a champ. Never stalls. No electrical glitches (my personal favorite) or meltdowns.

There's been absolutely nothing to bitch about. It's frustrating. I'm the kind of guy that needs something to bitch about and this bike won't play ball.
When I bought this bike I said "I'll ride it till it grenades". Now I'm realizing that it may take my whole lifetime to reach that point. Maybe longer :confused:

Wait a second... Now that I think of it, when the bike is running it sounds like it's only running on one cylinder.
I might have to mention that to the mechanic - but only when I can get his response/reaction on video :)

This is not to slight anyone who is having problems but to let possible new buyers doing research (and I'm seeing more & more of them every week) know that just like with any other brand/model there are some problem bikes but most are absolutely superb.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Love your work Metalstorm!

If anyone wants a laugh click my profile and see my very first post introducing to the forum '(G'Day from WA)'

EDIT~ *WARNING- DRY AUSSIE S.O.H. in my OP!

I wrote it after reading on here the cbr was the worst bike in world and prior to ownership, It was made in jest as I was going to buy one anyway knowing that 99.9% or the 'Problems ands issues' could be sorted by common sense and reading the owners manual.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love your work Metalstorm!

If anyone wants a laugh click my profile and see my very first post introducing to the forum '(G'Day from WA)'

EDIT~ *WARNING- DRY AUSSIE S.O.H. in my OP!

I wrote it after reading on here the cbr was the worst bike in world and prior to ownership, It was made in jest as I was going to buy one anyway knowing that 99.9% or the 'Problems ands issues' could be sorted by common sense and reading the owners manual.
That is CLASSIC! :D I'm still chuckling from it.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Just wait till I eventually get blacklisted and come back as a newbie.
Then the fun will start :D

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'll double your statement Metalstorm :)
Over 8,000 miles clocked and zero issues.
Just wide toothy grins :D and unbelievably low gas bills :cool:

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
'G'day from WA.
Had a read around and about to buy one of these cheap Thai made commuters for putting around on :) had a sit on it at the LBS and very impressed for what it is.

BUT.....

It sounds like it does not come with an owners manual from what I have read here so far...

-Why is it not a 4 cylinder?
-Why does it sound like single?
-Why doesnt the Tacho go up to 18,000 rpm?
-How fast does it go... I'd like to at least 280kph?
-Is there a bodykit like an 1148SP available?
-Can I buy stuff on the internet?
-Does Bling go faster?
-Can I make it sound like an '08 Speed Triple?
-Will Holden V8 GTS headers fit?
-Will it be faster than my old 955i Daytona?
-Can I fit the powerbands from my RZ500?
-Will it use less fuel than my 1980 CB125n?
-Is there a program where I can hack Hondas fuel injection from my laptop?
-Can I run it on dirty old fuel?
-What is an air filter?
-Can I lower it, fit neons, a subwoofer and a cannon?
-Will the chain rust iff I dont lube it?
-Whats it like off road?
-Will ABS kill me?
-Will I kill ABS?
-Do I have to run it in or valve bounce it straight out of the showroom?
-What are valves?
-If it vibrates will the piston fall out?
-Will my girlfriend like the vibrations?
-Can I ride it all day or will it get so hot it overheats?
-If it blows up will my balls be safe?
-Can I fill it up quickly on pitstops?
-Can I fit the centrestand from a Goldwing?
-Can I take off in 5th gear?
-Can I go straight from 5th to neutral?
-Does it come in automatic?
-Whats it like for stoppies?
-Should I learn how to do wheelies before trying one?
-Do I have to learn to ride a motorcycle?
-My friend says a Ninja 250 is the fastest bike anyone can buy but he cant ride for $hit... should I buy that, a Fatboy, or a Beemer?
'

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
How many times have you went to buy something online only to read the reviews that were nothing but bad experiences and complaints and be scared away....thats because its human nature to expend energy to write to complain about something but its not worth while to say no trouble (im guilty too)....alot of us come on here to bitch...if a thousand people buy a product it will get 40 bad reviews because the other 960 people wont write they didnt have any but that 40 sure will.....this bike is the same..i have had a few small glitches..nothing major...i would buy this bike again in a heartbeat

·
Registered
879 Posts
I now have 2,600 miles on my bike and havent had any problems either. I did have the engine ratte but after installing the yosh slip I hardly hear it anymore

·
Registered
210 Posts
4000K miles on the bike so far and zero problems.

No oil leaks. No coolant leaks. No oil burning. I haven't had to add any oil or coolant at all.
Bike starts up every time & runs like a champ. Never stalls. No electrical glitches (my personal favorite) or meltdowns.

There's been absolutely nothing to bitch about. It's frustrating. I'm the kind of guy that needs something to bitch about and this bike won't play ball.
When I bought this bike I said "I'll ride it till it grenades". Now I'm realizing that it may take my whole lifetime to reach that point. Maybe longer :confused:

Wait a second... Now that I think of it, when the bike is running it sounds like it's only running on one cylinder.
I might have to mention that to the mechanic - but only when I can get his response/reaction on video :)

This is not to slight anyone who is having problems but to let possible new buyers doing research (and I'm seeing more & more of them every week) know that just like with any other brand/model there are some problem bikes but most are absolutely superb.

Me too. This is my 4th Honda bike, never a problem. Do the scheduled maintenance and they'll last forever. Or until you upgrade :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Only problem i got with my bike is, that there is ice on the roads & i cant ride it. Never had any issues when buying new, only used.

·
Registered
306 Posts
How many times have you went to buy something online only to read the reviews that were nothing but bad experiences and complaints and be scared away....thats because its human nature to expend energy to write to complain about something but its not worth while to say no trouble (im guilty too)....alot of us come on here to bitch...if a thousand people buy a product it will get 40 bad reviews because the other 960 people wont write they didnt have any but that 40 sure will.....this bike is the same..i have had a few small glitches..nothing major...i would buy this bike again in a heartbeat
Nice to have a thread like this to break that mold. No probs with mine either. Unless you count useless dealer not checking the valves on the first service.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I checked my chain today for like the thousandth time since I bought the bike and the darn thing is still in spec. Other than oil changes I haven't had to turn a wrench on this bike which is total B.S.

I need a different bike. Something that will keep me up all night searching for solutions.
My Sportster taught me how to be a mechanic. My Buell taught me how to be an electrician.

All the CBR250R is teaching me is how to be a better rider. I don't need this kind of utter lack of grief. I need drama. This stupid "Too Pity" (thanks Aufitt:)) is completely void of drama and until I replace it I fear my tools will just sit in their drawers rusting away.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I checked my chain today for like the thousandth time since I bought the bike and the darn thing is still in spec. Other than oil changes I haven't had to turn a wrench on this bike which is total B.S.

I need a different bike. Something that will keep me up all night searching for solutions.
My Sportster taught me how to be a mechanic. My Buell taught me how to be an electrician.

All the CBR250R is teaching me is how to be a better rider. I don't need this kind of utter lack of grief. I need drama. This stupid "Too Pity" (thanks Aufitt:)) is completely void of drama and until I replace it I fear my tools will just sit in their drawers rusting away.
Funny you mention chains, have had many discussions re chains on here trying to tell ppl 'loose is good' (but they dont believe me)
Just measured mine - 40mm slack at the middle of the swingarm.
It just touches ther chain slider when lifted up- perfect.

35mm as it left the shop brand new 5300km ago,
at least 20 km of that has been squiding on the back wheel, and as any of you know it takes a fair amount of gusto to put it up in 1st gear let alone 2nd which the latest trick :D

-Never been adjusted
-never been 'cleaned' (whatever that is)
-Just Motul factory chainlube (the horrible white stuff)

The more you adjust a chain- the more you have to adjust it.
Some ppl find this out too late and then its stuffed by going to the minimum 25mm and it stretches beyond repair.

That needs changing in the manual.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Standard chains, used in days of yore, needed frequent lubrication and (I gather) benefitted from the odd clean. All mine ever got was a bit of whatever oil was handy when it looked dry. Chainsaw chain bar oil was nice and sticky, so stayed on for a while. When aerosol lube came out it was a great.

They also needed fairly frequent adjustment because the pins in the links wear (the chain doesn't actually stretch, though we often say it does). On a bike fitted with a standard chain there is quite a long adjustment space available.

On a standard chain lube doesn't stay put for long. Also, picking up dirt it became a bit like grinding paste. Both those factors contribute to the wear. On my CB350s I used to get about 15,000 miles out of a chain. On the CB250RS it was a bit less, I figured because the power delivery was less smooth on the single.

With less power and less weight, rear tyres lasted longer on the 250.

O-ring chains are a real boon. They are reckoned to last at least 3 times as long, with less maintenance required. The lube is sealed in around the pins, so there is not much wear. A little spray lube when it looks dry keeps things sweet where the rollers meet the sprockets, so ensuring a good life span from the sprockets.

Motorcycles fitted with O-ring chains have only a small adjustment available. They should be pretty much set and forget. Once you start having to adjust the chain frequently, the chain has reached the end of its useful life. It is time to replace the chain and sprockets, as a set.

For sure, having the chain a little loose is better than too tight. If it is too tight it will put extra pressure on that lube, the pins and everything, which will result in accelerated wear.

·
Registered
41 Posts
having just bought the bike this is great stuff to hear. much less depressing then reading the engine rattle BS. A friend is getting the Ninja 250 so I need all the ammo I can get to argue my case for the CBR.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts