Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Engine Stalls

I just got my bike back from the dealer after 2 weeks of working with Honda to correct this problem. After numerous engine shut offs I finally took it in. The service man tested it and came back and said, yes, you do have a problem.. no kidding.. I am not an expert rider by any means but I do have over 6,000 miles on various bikes and I know how they should respond. Mine was caused by an overtightened exhaust valve. I was also instructed to let the bike warm up for 5-10 minutes before riding. I think this is excessive for a new bike but I cannot argue with the results. After the adjustment was made and I now let the bike warm up as instructed it runs like a dream.. I do not know if this is the same issue you are having as mine was not a stall but a complete shut off of the fuel. If it sounds anything like that please take it to your dealer to be checked.. nothing more dangerous than having the bike cut out on you in traffic.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just got my bike back from the dealer after 2 weeks of working with Honda to correct this problem. After numerous engine shut offs I finally took it in. The service man tested it and came back and said, yes, you do have a problem.. no kidding.. I am not an expert rider by any means but I do have over 6,000 miles on various bikes and I know how they should respond. Mine was caused by an overtightened exhaust valve. I was also instructed to let the bike warm up for 5-10 minutes before riding. I think this is excessive for a new bike but I cannot argue with the results. After the adjustment was made and I now let the bike warm up as instructed it runs like a dream.. I do not know if this is the same issue you are having as mine was not a stall but a complete shut off of the fuel. If it sounds anything like that please take it to your dealer to be checked.. nothing more dangerous than having the bike cut out on you in traffic.
I find that when I let the bike warm up 3 bars on the dash, I have no problem. But I've seen video reviews praising the fuel injection saying - cold starts in the morning are no problem. Just hit the button and go (somewhere along those lines).

Wouldn't call mine a stall, engine just cuts off, lights and dash remain on. Sorry to be a noob, but what do you mean by "shut off of the fuel"? Just wondering if I might have the same issue as you. Before you took it back to the dealer, did you try warming it up? If so, did you still have engine cutting off?

Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Engine Shut off

When I refer to a stall I am thinking in terms of the engine sputtering and then dying.. This was like I hit the kill switch.. just an instantaneous shut down of the engine. The service rep had it happen between 6th and 5th gears also. I usually found it to happen in the lower gears. No, I did not let it warm up past 5 minutes prior to this happening. I would say about 2-3 minutes. But, I will tell you that I took it out for a very long ride.. approx. 60 miles and it happened 50 miles into the ride.. with a very big truck coming up behind me ! I saw my life flash before my eyes on that one... that's when I called the dealer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Mine was caused by an overtightened exhaust valve.
That might be the key as well. Maybe for me 600 miles service with valve adjustment fixed that.
But strange thing still this stopped happening to me before, as I said after ~200 miles when I adjusted the way I ride the bike to be less time in "clutch fully in" state.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
the curriculum and instructor emphasized that when slowing to a stop (e.g. At a red traffic light), the clutch should be held in, u should be in first gear, then when at complete stop, go to friction point in case you need to move asap if there is danger behind you.
I know what are you talking about, I was at MSF course too. That's for emergency stops, and this is most quick way of doing this: clutch in, apply both brakes and click gear shifter down until its on the first.

But actually these emergency or quick stops rarely happen and under normal conditions I prefer to gradually downshift, ride on each gear when stopping. And have clutch full in only on complete stop when I am on first gear.
This comes with some experience though. Initially its was kind of hard for me to coordinate all these actions together but after some training it works like a charm.
Indeed stopping with clutch fully in is most appropriate way for inexperienced riders or in emergency

·
Registered
3 Posts
Engine shut off

[That might be the key as well. Maybe for me 600 miles service with valve adjustment fixed that.
But strange thing still this stopped happening to me before, as I said after ~200 miles when I adjusted the way I ride the bike to be less time in "clutch fully in" state.]

I spoke with the mechanic to see if I had somehow caused the problem and he assured me it was nothing I did, this one was all Honda. I can only assume my bike was made on a Friday afternoon !.. after a 3 beer lunch.. Hopefully there will be no more issues with it. Incidently, they had to try all the different adjustments in sequence, a-b-c-d.. which is why it took so long. They originally thought the problem was with the idle, but that turned out to not be the case. I was betting on the fuel injection.. again, not the problem. I thought they would just plug it into the computer, like a car, evidently, not. In any event, it is now fixed and I am a happy rider again ! Glad to hear yours is working fine. Safe riding..

·
Registered
95 Posts
This should be "sticky noted" safety issue.... Everyone should see this comment. Admin....?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I guess some of us are lucky

I seem to be one of the lucky ones that hasn't had any issues at all with my bike. My dealer told me to let the bike warm up for 5 min as well, but once again with FI that shouldn't be a problem. I can however discern a different and distinct sound from the engine after about 2-3 min. I usually step out onto my patio, start the bike, then put my helmet and gloves on, and by then the bike usually sounds normal and "warmed" up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I refer to a stall I am thinking in terms of the engine sputtering and then dying.. This was like I hit the kill switch.. just an instantaneous shut down of the engine. The service rep had it happen between 6th and 5th gears also. I usually found it to happen in the lower gears. No, I did not let it warm up past 5 minutes prior to this happening. I would say about 2-3 minutes. But, I will tell you that I took it out for a very long ride.. approx. 60 miles and it happened 50 miles into the ride.. with a very big truck coming up behind me ! I saw my life flash before my eyes on that one... that's when I called the dealer.
Yes, that's EXACTLY what I experienced - not a jittering engine stall, but sudden silence - I'm still rolling smoothly but engine is literally off. Scary experience you had. Good thing nothing bad happened.

But as mentioned, once warmed up and everything, issue magically gone. Sigh...how can this be with a brand new bike from one of the most reputable bike manufacturers?! I'm absolutely scared off my pants as a rider who just started learning...:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having the same issue as well, and its definitely not an issue with the engine being cold.

I was riding for a good 15min and stopped at a stop sign with my clutch held in. I revved the engine a few times and the bike just died on me....

I complained to my dad, who takes it out on rides occasionally, and he said it happened to him as well. So im calling the dealership tomorrow to see whats up..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ive also seen this problem on my bike, im only up to 160ish miles so far and this is my first bike so i was kinda thinking it was just me until i saw this thread.
maybe ill see about taking my bike in to talk to them about it. its happened to me mostly right after a large acceleration. like 4000 up to 8000 rpms and then full clutch.
(usually because traffic in front of me has slowed down)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Having the same issue as well, and its definitely not an issue with the engine being cold.

I was riding for a good 15min and stopped at a stop sign with my clutch held in. I revved the engine a few times and the bike just died on me....

I complained to my dad, who takes it out on rides occasionally, and he said it happened to him as well. So im calling the dealership tomorrow to see whats up..
I am not sure if getting it warmed up via riding it solves it... i think you need to warm it up.. i.e. at least 2-3 bars "before" jumping on... may have to do with the computer setting itself... i ve been warming it up before riding and no more issues.. but then again , what do i know :eek:

·
Registered
47 Posts
And again...

My bike stalled again today as I downshifted at the top of an exit sliproad off the motorway. I'd say it stalled when I was still travelling at about 35 mph probably changing from 4th to 3rd. I'd only done 5 miles from home but at 70 mph so it was plenty hot enough. I've got 1350 miles on the bike. I'm starting to lose faith in the fact that the engine will still be running when I come to pull away everytime I stop. You'd think it was pretty basic stuff for the ecu programmers to get right.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Mine Stalled

Mine stalled today for the first time. Fully warm. Ten minutes into my commute on a cold, 40F morning. 45 mph in 6th no problem. Put the clutch in to drop down two gears as I coasted around the corner. When I went to rev the engine to match revs with the clutch still in the whole time, nothing. Oh well. Keyed the starter and rode on as usual.

·
Registered
116 Posts
This happened to me again the other day and it wasn't nearly as innocent as before.
i was on the highway and had already been riding for about 15 minutes (engine was fully warmed up).
there was some traffic up ahead so i wanted to switch lanes to avoid having to slow down.
i was going about 55mph in 6th gear but i knew i needed some extra torque for the hill ahead so i dropped down the 5th gear while switching lanes, but in between gears my engine died. as i let the clutch back out, unaware of my dead engine, i suddenly did some massive engine breaking that i obviously wasn't expecting and dropped down to about 40mph. i quickly looked in my mirror and noticed a semi truck quickly rushing towards me. i pulled the clutch back in, pushed the starter, rolled the throttle, dropped down to 4th gear, and rocketed myself up to about 70mph just in time.
if this happens to me after getting my 600 mile service in a few weeks i am definitely going to be complaining to Honda about it very heavily. this is a really big safety concern for me and anyone else who is having the issue.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Do not close the throttle between changes.. after a while it becomes 2nd nature to simply match the revs for the next gear.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Do not close the throttle between changes.. after a while it becomes 2nd nature to simply match the revs for the next gear.
i dont close the throttle when upshifting, i barely use the clutch even.
i am not nearly as fluid at downshifting though. im sure with more practice it will get better.

i am confused though, why would the engine die instead of just dropping to idle speed if i pull the clutch in?

actually i think i may be able to answer my own question... when i cut the throttle suddenly after being in the 5000+ rpm range i am cutting the air supply off before the engine can adjust for the smaller amount and so the fuel to air mixture becomes really far off for a rotation or two, and during that time the engine dies.
someone let me know if my theory makes sence. i have just enough knowlege to be horribly wrong.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have had the same issue 5-6 times. my bike has now more than 4000 km. 3 times of those, the engine stopped, when I was climbing just 2or3 minutes after starting the ride, and one time the bike was wet due to rain. I think it might be an issue with the electric power or the stearing of the fuel injection.
Please keep posting news on this issue.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Had a run this morning, bike's got about 60km on the clock and the bike stalled on the following runs: - e-stop at 50kmph with clutch pulled in - downshifting from 70kmph, had time to restart the engine and keep going. Lucky Definitely going to report this to the dealers and Honda.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
i dont close the throttle when upshifting, i barely use the clutch even.
i am not nearly as fluid at downshifting though. im sure with more practice it will get better.

i am confused though, why would the engine die instead of just dropping to idle speed if i pull the clutch in?

Possibly because of your abrupt closing of the throttle, but assisted by the drag of the clutch and transmission.

Blip the throttle on downshifts untill you get the rev matching right for the speed.
After a while this will take one milisecond and become 2nd nature.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts