Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I concluded today that I am personally just not comfortable on my bike w/o being able to flat foot it. I know that it's all psychological but the fact that my drive way is sloped and I have to back down it, I just want my feet flat. Balance thing. I decided to go with Soupy's Performance. Kroozetune is waaaaay too expensive and you still have to cut and weld your stand. I saw that a few others on here had a good experience with it. Plus, the fact that I can adjust it easily is a plus. If I ever did get ballsy enough for the suspension limitations to matter to me. Here goes another couple hundred. :(

Soupys CBR250R Adjustable Lowering Link Kickstand Side Stand DISCOUNT Kit 11 12 | eBay

Reactions: olhogrider

·
Registered
57 Posts
Are you going to be doing the install yourself? If you do, get some pix up. Or maybe a little tutorial :) After my exhaust, I am thinking about the same kit.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm still on the fence myself -- I can't firmly put both balls of my feet down, so I ordered a pair of Daytona MStar boots that should in here in a week. The boots give you about 3/4 inch due to the design on the sole/insole. If those don't work then I'll probably be looking at a lowering kit (and yes, I hate my 28-29 inch inseam).

If you do lower it, be sure to also adjust the front so you keep everything in alignment.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Does anyone have this installed yet? If so does it effect the handling slighty or drastically?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My friend is doing it for me. He's going to lower the front as well when he adjusts the forks. If you don't it will completely screw up the geometry of the bike. I may be a noob but I'm also an engineering major. Lol. What I like about the kit is the fact that you can adjust it easily. Without having to take anything off. So typical riding I can have my feet flat, if I ever get brave enough to ride some twisties then I can put it back to stock height. But that is doubtful. I had to buy the adjustable stand bc I don't want to cut and weld the stock one. I might sell it one day. Or I might just want it back to stock if I get comfortable. Waiting on sliders, windshield, fender eliminator, and other gear to arrive. Plan to do all the mods the second week in May since I'll be between semesters. Gonna prob be frustrated but it'll be worth it. Will post pics when done. Bank account hates me right now. Gonna have to save up for my exhaust over the summer.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone have this installed yet? If so does it effect the handling slighty or drastically?
Search the forum. Rodney and Orangepeel (couple) had a thread about installing. Hopefully they are still active on here. Everyone has told me lowering any bike will make it ride like sh*t but it also depends on what kind of riding you do. I don't really see it affecting me too much. I'm 5'4'' so I've gotta do what I gotta do. But I also don't need it drastically lowered. Thank goodness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
dont

Just an fyi. A girl on vfrdiscussion had one of those links on her bike VFR. The link broke n she crashed but was ok. Look at the size n compare it to stock. Im selling my vfr cos i cant flat foot the thing. Search thru the vfr forum.

U can but new springs to lower a bike or shave the seat. I do the seat first.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I refuse to shave the seat on a brand new bike. I've read all the reviews. Everyone says Soupys is solid. Did she contact them after it broke? Maybe a defective link? Glad she is ok. And thanks for the heads up but I already ordered it and need it lowered. Guess I'll just have to take my chances. I haven't seen another case where their link broke. Was hers the horseshoe design as well? And did she have it done by a tech?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
In the last month I have lowered 5 customer bikes that were oddly enough all R6's for the reason that they were to short. I think it changes handling drastically but they didn't seem to notice. But they also arent aggressive riders either. You can lower the front too by moving the tubes up but 3-5 mm also changes the rake angle and effects handling too. 3-5 mm doesnt seem like much but it really is

·
Registered
52 Posts
Do you mean putting your feet flat at a stop? If so for what purpose? If your toes touch you're fine. If you want one foot flat put the right foot on the peg and you're fine.

If you're going down the hill backwards just use your brake and keep your toes near the ground(but not too far back of course) You'll have less lean angle and adverse handling from lowering it. Perhaps if you can get over it you can revert back to stock.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's bc I'm inexperienced and nervous. Like I said, mainly psychological. I "feel" safer being able to flat foot it. And it's easier for me to maneuver with both feet flat. I'm really not worried able the handling. I won't know the difference.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
^

Height?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Jkincaid, do what you need to do to feel comfortable on your bike. The handling in aggressive riding doesn't mean squat if you're too nervous to DO any aggressive riding, and you won't build confidence until you're comfortable. Lower it... Get experience and confidence.. Put it back to stock... Hit the Dragon...
Ride safe...

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm in a similar situation, though I didn't have the money for lowering. I can flat foot one foot or tippy toe (just) both feet. This was disconcerting at first, but now I've done over 1,000km and it just feels normal. As has been said, do what you need to feel safe and comfortable. When you're learning, you need all the confidence you can get. You won't be pushing hard enough to notice any real difference in handling anyway. When you do build up some confidence, just try putting it back to standard. You'll most likely find it won't bother you in the least - after the first time anyway :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks yall. I've gotta so much sh*t from ppl on other forums about how it's a "terrible" idea and how I will hate how it handles etc, and that it's "stupid" to lower. To each their own is what I say. Plus, nothing is permanent. It's not like it's their bike. It's MINE. lol.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I posted this a while back: http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-appearance-modifications/3346-how-lower-your-bike-%24120.html I lowered the bike, front and back, for the wife. I did do a little bit of cutting and welding, though.

Edit: I rode it around some after I lowered it, and I can't say it makes a big enough difference to worry about for a beginner. I did, however, manage to catch my big foot between the peg and the ground on a pretty extreme slow speed turn. Don't ask me how I managed that..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Am thinking of getting the soupys lowering kit and it says can be lowered up to 4" all of which I will need as I am only 4'11" and want to get as close to flat foot as possible as I am a new rider. Was wonder if anyone has gone that drastic (the whole 4") on their cbr250. Please any advice as I am about to purchase.

·
Registered
179 Posts
What great idea! My daughter is a stubby 5'2" and is on tiptoes. The Soupy looks solid. I just ordered it with expedited shipping. I'll post pix and report on how it works when it comes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts