Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SOUPY'S 2011 HONDA CBR250R ADJUSTABLE LOWERING LINK KIT for the wife's bike. She's 5.1' on a good day, so no choice really. We discussed shaving the seat, custom seat, thick sole boots, but it's just not enough.

I was gonna order an adjustable stand, but couldn't bring myself to spend the $140+ for it. So I'll get a bud/mechanic to cut and weld the original one once we have the height correct.

I'd love to hear from folks who have installed a Soupy's lowering link.

SOUPY'S LOWERING LINK INSTALLATION:

1. Remove front and lower fairings. I'd also recommend removing the muffler for easy access.

2. Remove the stock lowering link by removing two bolts and lifting rear of bike (This is a two person job). One person needs to lift the back of the bike up while someone else wiggles the link bolts out. It's a little tricky.

3. Install the Soupy's lowering link and lower it to the desired height by loosening the nuts. Note that you can reuse the front stock bolt, but have to use the included spacer with it. But you'll need to use the included bolt at the back of the link. Remember to adjust both links exactly the same, that's very important. If lowered a lot I'd recommend setting the pre-load spring to the 4th or 5th position. Once you have the desired height, use Loctite Red (or Permatex Red) and secure all nuts (including bolts nuts). CAUTION: Using Loctite Red (or Permatex Red) is permanent, so be sure about the height before applied.

4. Lower the front to approximately .66 of the back or as desired. In my case since I lowered the back 35mm I lowered the front 23mm. CAUTION: You'll need to secure the forks or they'll ride all the way up into the triple tree causing damage. I rigged up a couple of ratchet tie down straps from the ceiling joist, but could use a triple tree stand. The help of another person comes in hand here as well.

5. Lift bike (stands, jack...), remove and cut kickstand to desired height and weld end on (most auto shops will cut and weld) or purchase an adjustable kickstand.

6. Now comes the fun part, take the bike for a spin to determine if this is satisfactory :) Adjust as needed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a great part. I would also get some clip on handle bars so you can drop the forks through the clamp the same amount.
I was gonna lower the front forks by approximately .66 of the back. So for example, if I lower the back 100mm I would lower the front 66mm. I didn't think I needed anything else to do it. Don't you just have to let the forks ride up so it lower the front as well?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess the stock bars would still tighten down on the raised fork tubes. I was thinking of my Ninja which the bars are solid on the top over the tubes.
So you can't drop your forks with stock setup, bummer. Have a pic? What year is your Ninja?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Do post your experience with the lowering kit, Rodney. This is something I want to do for my wife. She is also about 5'1 and would appreciate lowering it a couple of inches.
I'l either shoot video and/or take lots of pics, or at least I'll try and remember to.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Interested in hearing how it all works out/pics once they are posted. I'm 5'8 (but only a 30 inch inseam), so I wouldn't mind it dropped an inch or so as well.

I'm also wondering how easy of a job this + dropping the forks would be as well, since (if it is) I'd rather not pay the shop to do it. The dealership I bought the bike from also makes their 'own' lowering link, however they want $300 (Canadian) installed, and who knows of the quality as they won't say who makes it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interested in hearing how it all works out/pics once they are posted. I'm 5'8 (but only a 30 inch inseam), so I wouldn't mind it dropped an inch or so as well.

I'm also wondering how easy of a job this + dropping the forks would be as well, since (if it is) I'd rather not pay the shop to do it. The dealership I bought the bike from also makes their 'own' lowering link, however they want $300 (Canadian) installed, and who knows of the quality as they won't say who makes it.
Yea, I called Clarington Honda and they wanted close on $400 to lower it only 1.5", no thanks!

BTW: Nice Avatar, we were at the show as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just lowered the wife's bike, was easier than I thought. A job that really requires an extra set of hands and the wife helped out. I'll post pics later of the link installed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there! I'm the shorty that needed her bike lowered :).

I'm sure Rod will come back in and correct my lack of terminology, but if you wanted to do this yourself it takes a few extra items to safely remove the stock link without having the bike tip over on ya.

We have front and rear tire stands to stabilize the bike up off the ground without the kickstand. All of the work was done inside a garage that has supports up in the ceiling/on the sides. Rod actually rigged up four adjustable tie downs with locking winches on them and attached these, by the hooks, two on the front of the bike, and two in the back to catch the bike from tipping over once the link was removed.

There is no way this can be done by one person. The stock link bolts need to be wriggled out of position once the nuts are loosened, and that meant one person lifting the back tire up and down while the other person shimmies the bolts out. It was quite an eye opener of how the bike is put together for me :).

There were different sized bolts on the bike all over the place, so constant switching out of wrenches and the like. Again, I had to keep one nut on the lowering link stable while Rod loosened the other side. Soupy's instructions were not super detailed. Maybe in the future it would be nice if they supplied some pictures or diagrams, or a video, but I have a sneaking suspicion that maybe this is not supplied because they would prefer you take it to a mechanic.

I was a bit sceptical at first about doing this ourselves, but it actually worked out great :)!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts