Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should Spark plug torque be Honda's recommended 16Nm or NGK's recommended torque?
My best guess is I assume Honda's because they know best what material the cylinder is made out of?

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
744 Posts
Should Spark plug torque be Honda's recommended 16Nm or NGK's recommended torque?
You are right regarding a different NGK's recommendation
BUT Stick to Honda's recommendation (16Nm)!
(I personally do not have a torque wrench tool)
Rectangle Water Slope Font Line
Font Rectangle Parallel Slope Document

My best guess is I assume Honda's because they know best what material the cylinder is made out of?
YES
And speaking of tightening torque, it is permissible to whine again about the difficult accessibility of the plug in CBR, as in the video of this nice mechanic did:

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I'm not a fan of torquing plugs.

"Snug" is what I always do, but finger-tight plus 1/8 to 1/4 turn is another way.

A new plug will tighten differently than a used plug because you are crushing the metal gasket when installing a new plug. That's why finger-tight plus some amount of rotation is a better idea.

Check to see if there is a recommendation on the NGK site for that, but I believe it's 1/8 to 1/4 turn additional.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah thats what I thought and what I ended up doing, was just curious what would be best.
I'm also a bit worried I mightve overtightened or undertightened it though that might be my OCD speaking. I snugged it after finger tight but not sure if it was exactly 1/16th* turn on account of Honda deciding to put the spark plug in a freakin meteor crater.

I was iffy about it, and perphaps this deserves its own thread, because I heard a noise coming from the engine yesterday, kinda sounded like a very slight engine knock however it only lasted about 5 or 10 seconds. I assume it wouldnt be spark plug overheating related knocking due to bad install because then I assume it shouldve persisted and worsened with time as the spark plug maintained or got even hotter.
My theory for this is perphaps small bits of dust and fibers fell into the cylinder? Idk, maybe I will need to give it a proper ride to really have an idea of the extent of the situation.

*As for the tightening NGK emailed me that for 1/4 turn spark plugs the reinstall turn should be a 1/16th turn.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
Like jkv357, I am not a fan of torquing spark plugs. The potential for expensive damage from over-tightening is too great and I don't think it's necessary to use a torque wrench on plugs. Or many other things for that matter. I've been working on my cars and bikes for over 50 years and have never owned or used a torque wrench until recently and that's only because I was replacing the exhaust manifold on my car. Some things do need to be torqued, but this over-reliance on torque wrenches for just about everything is not a good trend, IMO. The best mechanics I know develop and trust their "feel" first and only use a torque wrench when it's strictly called for.
Now you kids get off my lawn! :LOL:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah same, ive never used a torque wrench however as a newbie in the world of DIY id feel better torquing at least things related to the engine, brakes, axles, that sortoff thing.
I do get that, overtorque and undertorque both worry me, however because the SP is in a well, and I used an adjustable wrench on a tubular 16mm to tighten its hard to be too confident on the snugness of the plug. Especially because i dont have experience :p
And thank you for the input <3

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
It's a good idea to torque critical fasteners, but we have heard on many instances where small Honda bolts will snap before reaching the specified torque.

My son was changing sprockets on his R6 one day when I wasn't home, and called asked what I thought about torquing to the recommended spec of 70 ft/lbs. I said "too much".

He went with it anyway and stripped 3 or 4 before stopping.

I asked him why he didn't stop after 1...

·
Registered
96 Posts
You are right regarding a different NGK's recommendation
BUT Stick to Honda's recommendation (16Nm)!
(I personally do not have a torque wrench tool)
View attachment 45351 View attachment 45352

YES
And speaking of tightening torque, it is permissible to whine again about the difficult accessibility of the plug in CBR, as in the video of this nice mechanic did:
Simply needed to say thank you I just changed the flash fittings and your recordings were useful, particularly the stay patient part. Have an good day

1 - 8 of 8 Posts