Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be purchasing a CBR250R in about 2 months for my wife I may also get one for me. What is the speed range for each gear? I'm just wandering. Im mostly intrested in what the top speed is in each gear. Also is it true that 6th is a true overdrive?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
It's in the owners manual which is crammed underneath my passenger seat.

Not sure what you mean as a true overdrive but I am usually in sixth by 55mph. I down shift from 6th by 50ish if slowing down.

No where near the Suzi shift range so don't even try it LOL

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Not sure completely since I've never taken specific note of it, but 2nd seems to go to about 35-40, and 3rd about 60. That's all I've noted specifically.
^ Idk what bike you are riding but you should check one more time. If you are riding this bike in 3rd gear all the way to 60, you are doing some serious damage.

·
Registered
619 Posts
1st goes to about 24 mph, more if you go toward the rev limiter. 60 in 3rd, it doesn't hurt it if you take it to the limiter.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
^ are we bringing it to the redline in 3rd? I think I shift way before 60.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Physics Question

(modified quote)
If you look at the graph attached to this post... (see below) ...you will see the true ( rather than indicated ) speed in each gear. It is not difficult to reach 10,000 in the lower gears but top gear will only pull to around peak power, which is 8,500 r.p.m.

I have the same issue. I can't get past peak power by accelerating in top gear alone. some people are claiming speeds well into the 90's. Would someone with knowledge of the subject care to clarify?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Can't say I necessarily have more knowledge, but just because you're past peak doesn't mean the engine suddenly stops making power, it just makes less power.

This is why, even though we "peak out" around 8500, some of us are able to get that up into the 9000's and even tickling 10,000. It will keep pulling, it just doesn't pull as hard.

Change the gearing, and all that changes, though. If you go too high, you'll not have enough torque to pull faster or your 1st gear will be too high to be efficient. Go too low and you'll end up with more amazing acceleration, but you will lose top speed.

IMHO, the gearing combo that comes from the factory is nearly spot on for general use. Some like sendler really want a change there because their motives and methods are a little different.

Sorry if I misunderstood the question.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts