Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A thread on this forum was posted on our quarter litre bike. Quite imformative over-all. I do however have a mild disagreement with a statement made regarding our bike....(in which a good portion of us love).

The writer commented that the cbr250r is not a sportbike!! Now, agreeably we know our single cylinder, 249cc in no way compares to a 600 or a litre super sport. That said let me pose this question....

How many of us feel, think, or refer to our cbr250r as a sport bike?? And if not, what would/should it be called????:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
How about`
'Attractive economical well designed & equipped affordable budget Thai made commuter with suprisingly sporty handling only let down by terrible front suspension rebound dampening'

Too long a description?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I guess it depends on how a sports bike is defined. Is it labeled a sportsbike because if its style/design, or is it a sports bike because of its performance? Typically - people characterize a bike based on its design. The CBR250R "looks" like a sportsbike - so that is what it is called. There are some high performing standard style bikes available that could easily be called a sportbike base on their level of performance alone - yet they are still referred to as a UJM or a standard bike because of their style.

Mike

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Ugly Davidson call theirs a sportster so the lines are pretty blurred.

But Supersport & superbikes are true sportsbikes.

Our lil tiddler is just sporty.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
haha sportstourer is stretching is a bit by 1000cc or more.

·
Registered
254 Posts
A thread on this forum was posted on our quarter litre bike. Quite imformative over-all. I do however have a mild disagreement with a statement made regarding our bike....(in which a good portion of us love).

The writer commented that the cbr250r is not a sportbike!! Now, agreeably we know our single cylinder, 249cc in no way compares to a 600 or a litre super sport. That said let me pose this question....

How many of us feel, think, or refer to our cbr250r as a sport bike?? And if not, what would/should it be called????:confused::confused::confused:
taking the msf course i can tell you that ridding a suzuki gz250, a honda rebel and a yamaha something this cbr250r is sport. I like it and is enough for me. Maybe an exhaust and that is it:)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would say it's a small sport bike. I would say bikes in the 600cc range could be super sport bikes, and 1000cc range I would call super bikes. These are very broad categories and I'm sure there are exceptions.

just my $.02

·
Registered
152 Posts
As long as they didn't call it a 'beginner bike' (or did they?). :eek:

Is the Ninja 250 a sport bike? How about the 650r? The latter has more CCs than the ZX-6R, which is unquestionably a 'sport' bike, but a more upright seating position, so what qualifies/disqualifies?

Honda categorizes it as 'sport', so I'll accept that.:)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Engine size does not determine whether it is a sport bike or not.
This is an 80 cc GP race bike -

and this was my (1989) 125 cc GP race bike -

·
Registered
706 Posts
How about`
'Attractive economical well designed & equipped affordable budget Thai made commuter with suprisingly sporty handling only let down by terrible front suspension rebound dampening'

Too long a description?
Maybe, but it's so completely accurate lol.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Enjoying the responses so far. I also agree that the 250 wld fall in the sport bike category. Perhaps due to the looks. I owned a cbf 1000 and categorized it as a sport tourer due to the sporty look and the more upright position, along with the comfort of a touring bike. I also agree with the Ninja reference. How wld one caregorize that? Up to this point in my riding history I have heard the Ninja 250 repeatedly referred to as a sport bike. That said, the cbr 250 has in many situations/track days out- performed the Ninja quarter litre. Also, The Lucky Owl has shown that the amazing 250 is more than a commuter. Our bike has unlimted potential is seems. So...let's continue this discussion;)

I absolutely LOVE MY SPORT BIKE!!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
CBR250r for me, is about learning how to ride/work on a sports bike. But when specifically asked what type of bike the CBR is I reply "entry level sports bike", and frankly at stock even that's a stretch. With a few mods here and there it's starting to feel more like it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You should define "Sport" before. Consider Athletics.
Life it is not a drag race, 100m sprint, sky downhill.

There are people that think the best performance possible in life is winning the Marathon.
On a Cbr250 you probably could.

As I wrote in an other thread:
I would have probably fallen on the ground about five times without these "spongy" brakes.
Seems they are panicproof :O

I really enjoy riding it, I live life at my pace: no other bike could have been more "right" for me!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts