Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
As always, another great blog post Ibex. I was just looking at joining the AMA. Either that or adding motorcycle coverage to my AAA membership. Most people don't realize regular AAA does not include coverage for motorcycles.

Again, thanks for the post. I've picked up several tips from you pal.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Check out the blog for my sport touring set up.
Thanks for the description and review of your gear Ibex! I am always on the hunt to add, remove, and refine my touring setup. Your description has given me some new ideas to work with! :)

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Wow!. I admire your ability to balance all that gear. Pics are spectacular. Do you ride with others or primarily by yourself? Cudos for the mileage. I won't ride with anything other than my Icon backpack/tank bag. I make my husband the sherpa lol.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow!. I admire your ability to balance all that gear. Pics are spectacular. Do you ride with others or primarily by yourself? Cudos for the mileage. I won't ride with anything other than my Icon backpack/tank bag. I make my husband the sherpa lol.
Thanks. These days I ride by myself haven't looked/found anyone to ride with yet. I started with a lot of stuff on my bike but I want to keep it simple so I scaled down. I found that my Jacket is heavy enough that putting on a backpack wears me out faster. But I'm still tinkering with my set up.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
The longest ride I went on by myself was to Jasper Alberta last summer through the mountains. Lots of nice twisties and for the most part weather was perfect for riding, not too hot. I really enjoyed the other riders commradarie, always ready to chat and share their ride stories. Mornings were cold though, frosty, so I was glad I brought heated gear. Unfortunately I didn't have heated gloves so my hands were like frozen claws. Afternoons warmed up beautifully so I shed some layers and packed them back in my backpack/tank bag.

I rode this adventure on my CBF1000.

I would like to find a smaller bag though because my current one is too large and I agree with you that strapping it to my back weighs heavy after a while. Also bulky and I feel too restricted. I prefer to feel loose when I ride. When I put it on the tank it was like a pillow or a deployed airbag.

How many miles have you logged on your 250 so far?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Kay, let me go through my touring gear.

Jackets: either a Scorpion Commander if it's going to be cool, or a Tourmaster Intake (mesh). I bring the rain liners with me and are used in the mornings/evenings. Never for rain.

If it's gong to be cold, I have a heated Jacket Liner with full heated sleeves and collar. It's luscious. More important, it packs quite small and allows me to ditch bringing a sweater/hoodie which is more space savings

Pants: Teiz non mesh or Tourmaster Air Caliber (mesh). Once again, ditch the quilted liners and bring the inner rain liner for extra warmth.

If I'm not sure what to wear, the Tourmaster gear gets the nod because it'll handle temps from freezing to 100F. But it's getting worn out.

Boots: Sidi Strada Rain boots. Comfy, warm, light, look good. No alternative. But they do get VERY warm in high temps.

Gloves: Held Airs or Held Sprints. Both are supremely comfy and provide good protection. Just wish the Airs had a wrist strap to keep them on in a crash. I don't bring rain gloves because such a beast does not exist. The closest I've found are 2 finger goretex glove covers from Aerostitch. Any glove with a waterproof inner liner is *IMPOSSIBLE* to put on after you've removed them from wet hands.

Helmet: Bell RS1. I've never found a helmet that fit me this well. Wish it had a flip down visor like my HJC, but I sure don't miss the racket from the HJC.

Rest of the stuff. 2 Piece rainsuit, Slime pump, tire strings and tools, duct tape, LONG zip ties, small can of plexus and clean microfiber towel. Spare shield, clear.

Tank bag. 12v Power inverter, LED flashlight, roll of TP in a baggie. Sunscreen, lip balm, spare keys, water, granola, maps, fuses, camera.

Clothing depends on the length of the trip. Usually a pair of convertable pants or jeans, long sleeve T, short sleeve T, polo shirt, extra socks and underwear. Then I have a bag full of toiletries, medicines. Another bag holds all my cables and spare batteries.

Want to make a kabillion dollars? Come up with a solution for this, shoes. They must pack small, look good and be inexpensive. Sandles can be packed small but you can't always wear them. Running shoes take a CRAP LOAD of space.

As always I carry extra ROKStraps (do NOT use bungie chords, more eyes have been lost, gear lost, guys have gone down because they can and do fail/break) and a heavy duty cargo net.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Any glove with a waterproof inner liner is *IMPOSSIBLE* to put on after you've removed them from wet hands.

As always I carry extra ROKStraps (do NOT use bungie chords, more eyes have been lost, gear lost, guys have gone down because they can and do fail/break) and a heavy duty cargo net.
I agree, the inner liner of the gloves feels like crazy glue if the hands are wet, I found out the hard way.

I'm gonna look into these ROKStraps, I agree bungees are not confidence builders, I'm usually concern these things might snap or something, although I have not had any problems so far. I can't wait until I find a set of hardcases to bolt on the 250 to replace the soft bags, tie down with straps, etc.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm gonna look into these ROKStraps, I agree bungees are not confidence builders, I'm usually concern these things might snap or something, although I have not had any problems so far.
I personally know one guy who lost an eye when a bungie let go while snugging down his gear. I know another guy who went down because the bungie he used to secure his jacket on the back seat let go letting the tire get sucked into the back wheel.

Repeat after me, Bungie's are EVIL.

Ever notice how many bungies you see laying on the highway?

ROKStraps are adjustable, fasten securely, won't mark up the finish on your bike are relatively cheap and are just a WAY better solution.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Reward claim

Want to make a kabillion dollars? Come up with a solution for this, shoes. They must pack small, look good and be inexpensive. Sandles can be packed small but you can't always wear them. Running shoes take a CRAP LOAD of space.
Overshoes. They generally pack to sandal size. Neos will keep your regular shoes (preferably regular boots with some ankle protection) waterproof for at least 2 years.

Let me know when you gather the kabillion :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I can't tell how you've attached your cargo net in your pictures. Where do you recommend attaching them? I'm looking to carry a medium sized backpack or shoulder bag on the rear seat using a cargo net.

My current setup doesn't feel secure enough. Right now I have two hooks connecting to each other under the seat. The other two dig into corners on the front of the rear set. It's this attachment that worries be a bit but I haven't found anything better. Any ideas?

·
Registered
220 Posts
The rear seat attaches anteriorly into two metal loops. These can be used to hold a hook on each side. Once the seat is pushed into position, those hooks are going nowhere. I prefer to strap the bungies THROUGH the bag handle for better stability, and then loop them under the seat. The rear grab rails will ensure they do not move side to side. This is the setup I use routinely when carrying a backpack (it helps if you load the backpack in a manner that ensures that heavy items are at the bottom). The bungies stay strapped to the bike at all times, useful for securing any stuff. When there is no stuff to carry, they hook around the grabrails and are secured to the pillion footpegs.

You'll notice the tankbag is also secured by bungies (to the frame in front, and to the underside of the front seat on the rear).

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hook the net onto the saddbags straps/hooks. It worked well last time, but I only used it once. On my latest set up I only use the saddle bags and try to carry as little as possible. As someone else mentioned ealier I'd look into buying some rok straps, they seemed to be safer than bungee cords.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I see you have a one piece arrowstich? What size and how do you like it? Also how tall are you, and do you find that the bottom of the legs rise up when you're in position on the CBR? Also did you consider the two piece?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts