Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had. A thread two days ago, bike was stalling.

Asked for a fix, quoted $900 for service tyres and whatever was the issue. told them if it's not going to be alright then we can look at the tyres and service don't just go ahead and do all of them so I'm spending all this cash on a write off.

Turns out dude I live with was frustrated they took 5 weeks or so in total so he went in and told them to hurry up so they smashed out all three without me knowing. They put a rush on it or whatever

Got the bike back today, costed $1180.

Taking it home it stalled about 7 times.
Took it back around the mechanic said yeah let it warm up and get some fuel in it....

Reeved it a fair bit still has two bars of fuel.

I'm doing about 50km, second or third gear, pull the clutch in say at the traffic lights.
Bike will cut out. They did 'as much as we could without replacing parts'

I never asked them not to replace parts

It's a lot easier to start up again and it is better but I'm scared of getting into an accident because it's so frequent.

They told me to look at the wreckers to get a new throttle body and they have no idea on what the issue is

Ideas?

I'm down 1180 without working transport what should I be doing? I just got a job and I need transport but I'm a bit screwed now I don't want to be out on the highway stressing about the engine. Someone will clean me up if it doesn't start again

·
Registered
74 Posts
Do you have legal recourse? It’s obviously not repaired. Is stalling part of work order?

With EFI systems, stalling is typically caused by erroneous sensor signals that tells ECU about environmental conditions of engine:
  • air temp
  • coolant temp
  • throttle position
  • manifold pressure
  • crankshaft speed
  • crankshaft position
One of most common issue that throws off sensors is vacuum leaks. Anywhere rubber boots and hoses on intake fastened by clamps can have leak when hastily assembled. Official service manual has tests for all of these and adjustment procedures for ones that can be adjusted like TPS. It’s not difficult to do, I suggest you get manual and go through test and adjustment procedures.

it’s hard lesson many riders go through. Dealers and shops are scum and they typically have less knowledge and skill than you! Meatheat school dropouts who can’t even add 2+2. That’s why many, many riders do their own work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not 100% sure but I was explicit when I dropped it off 'Don't do the service or tyres unless you can fix the stalling'

They said yeah we can do that.

Recorded the convo we had this afternoon, I might be able to upload it.. he basically said he has no idea. I asked about vacuum leaks and they said they check them all

When they rang for the quote they said it seems to be X problem it's going to cost $300 then we will do the tyres and service.
During that call I said yeah the bike is probably a write off but just see if you can get it working as normal.

I just started it up in the drive way, it died three times in a row.
Starting to think they didn't even test ride it to be honest, but I will contact consumer affairs which is the legal recourse for Aus
Flipping hell though, 10 days in the shop plus three weeks wait, bugger all communication.

I think I do have a case to regain the cost of the tyres and service, because I said not to.

The other half of the cost I don't think I can claim because I asked them to have a look.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Should I sell it or scrap the bike?

I JUST got a job that's 25 mins away I need some transport and it's not helping I'm $1200 down if I wanted another bike or car for work...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm going to assume that you're the op, but using a different user name now.

It has to be something simple. I can't remember if the cbr uses an idle air control valve or if the idle speed is controlled by adjustment of the throttle plate, but I'd be looking at that to start with. When it does idle, what rpm does the engine run at?

They are a pretty simple and very reliable bike, but if you're not mechanically minded or haven't got any reliable place you can take it to apart from where you've already taken it, there's not a lot we can do to help you out...

Where are you located in aus, someone may be able to suggest another plate you can take it.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
You absolutely need to find a new shop to work on your cycle.

Best is to watch the Service Writer make notes on the work order if you have specific issues and restrictions like you did. That way it's in writing.

What did they do exactly? They sound incompetent.

Don't junk it. Most likely it's not anything major. If you find a competent shop they should be able to get it working properly.

Some things you could do would be to completely drain the gas tank and refill with fresh gas and a strong fuel system cleaner. Check the condition of the air filter. Replace the spark plug. Then see how it runs. Could be something simple like old/bad gas or a partially plugged injector.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bods -
When I start it up the idle sits on 2,000 RPM
after about three seconds it goes down to 1800 RPM
couple seconds 1500 RPM
Eventually to the point the bike stalls

I'm in Adelaide, I have one friend from before fuel injector's and electronics who's great with bikes but he's never worked on anything like a modern bike.

He thinks I should look at the cam chain adjustor when I told him it stalls at lights

I'm reading online and this issue sounded similar and they suggested the fuel pump?

JKV -
The work order
1 hour Diagnose engine cutting out
3 hours remove throttle body, clean throttle body, fuel injector, flow & test injector, inspect surrounding parts, refit all parts.

Notes- Bike needs further investigating @ may need parts replaced to stop erratic idle.
(In person the real note was we have no idea go get a bike from the wreckers and let's throw some random parts at it)

·
Registered
74 Posts
CBR600F4 is cabureted, nothing close to CBR250R’s EFI. Problem in that case is dirty carbs that needs thorough cleaning with ultrasonic soak and micro soda-blasting.

It most likely is something very simple that’s wrong. A tiny adjustment here and there (TPS, idle-speed screw, etc). Or some hose not plugged in properly. Competent shop can find and fix in no time at all (1-2 hrs max). You can use this as evidence to file complaint about 1st shop.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
If it is a CBR250R, then I would guess it is the fuel pump. Either the tank has debris in it and the filter/screen is restricted, or the pump quit. Based on more than a few threads recently, it does seem that the pumps do fail.

It also seems that buying just any aftermarket pump is not a good idea, as some do not provide adequate fuel pressure.

Search threads with info on fuel pumps for more answers. There is one with a recommendation for a higher quality pump that the owner purchased after having problems with another brand of aftermarket pump. Also check the cost of a pump from Honda. The difference may not be that much.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Also measure power going to pump continuously. Dropouts in power could point to fuel-pump relay.

Inspect fuel-filter.

Try banging tank near bottom with fist.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A dragging clutch will stall the bike in the way you describe. Quick thing to check is the clutch adjustment. If you flick it into neutral rather than hold the clutch in does it still stall? If it doesn't stall in neutral then look up in the hand book how to adjust the clutch. Is the bike hard to start ... because fuel, spark etc problems would be there too.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Asked for a fix, quoted $900 for service tyres and whatever was the issue. told them if it's not going to be alright then we can look at the tyres and service don't just go ahead and do all of them so I'm spending all this cash on a write off.

Turns out dude I live with was frustrated they took 5 weeks or so in total so he went in and told them to hurry up so they smashed out all three without me knowing. They put a rush on it or whatever

Took it back around the mechanic said yeah let it warm up and get some fuel in it....

I'm doing about 50km, second or third gear, pull the clutch in say at the traffic lights.

It's a lot easier to start up again and it is better but I'm scared of getting into an accident because it's so frequent.

They told me to look at the wreckers to get a new throttle body and they have no idea on what the issue is

Ideas?

I'm down 1180 without working transport what should I be doing? I just got a job and I need transport but I'm a bit screwed now I don't want to be out on the highway stressing about the engine. Someone will clean me up if it doesn't start again
[

Ideas?

Check and spray all contacts with wd40 or wurth contact spray
Check the rubber boots on the spark plugs cap and replace if spoilt

1 - 15 of 15 Posts