Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious, is there a typical "deposit" one puts down on a new bike?

I ask because I called a local PowerSports dealer to ask when they were getting the new CBR. He said mid-may and a deposit on one was $100.

I then called a Honda dealer, non-PowerSports (and my understanding is that PowerSports get the new CBRs first), and he said he would be getting them at the end of April, but a deposit was $500.

So, I was amped that it would be sooner for the arrival of the bike, but then I had the thought . . . , was end of April just BS and he was trying to "lock" me in so he could then tell me he wasn't getting them for another month?

·
Registered
111 Posts
i was told 500 and its at a honda powersports dealer. the 500 doesnt have to be used for payment (in the event you do no money down you will get the 500 back upon purchase)

you can still cancel though if you want, when i went in the lady before me was cancelling hers, which is the only way i was able to secure one :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
i would say 100-500 for a deposit at a dealer anything more is just pointless.

We've been hearing dates like May3rd for delivery for the bikes, as for a final date still unknown.

·
Registered
879 Posts
No Deposit needed, Just told them i wanted the first one that came in and they said it was mine. Been doing bussiness with my dealer for years and there really good to me.

·
281 Posts
They told me $500 & I asked if $250 was ok since I had just bought a $250 helmut & he said OK.
Well this whole deposit thing is simply a negotiation which hopefully guarantees you a numerical place in line for a product in short supply. So Kutter is a good example of that negotiation. In my case, I offered $200 U.S. for a deposit and the sales guy said OK....so then the only other thing to negotiate is to make sure they are willing to return your deposit should you change your mind for any reason....but I think $500 is unreasonable.....I guess $200 seemed reasonable to me and evidently my dealer thought so also...........

·
Registered
272 Posts
I highly doubt with the demand on this bike any dealer would hold your down payment, at least after they come in. They may have already spent your down payment and it would be difficult to return it prior to having product to sell.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I highly doubt with the demand on this bike any dealer would hold your down payment, at least after they come in. They may have already spent your down payment and it would be difficult to return it prior to having product to sell.
Agreed! It's also just bad business to keep a deposit in general, Especially on a fast moving product. If they aren't about to lose money, you shouldn't have to lose yours. Only time I see a deposit non refundable is if you're ordering something special like a rare part, or something is being shipped and the dealer is incurring costs, like a vehicle in your colour because you're picky =P

edit: in regards to the OP, I put down 300!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think $500 is standard. First place i went asked me for $500 deposit & refundable. Second place i called said $100 deposit was okay until i showed up they tried to ask for $1000. I'm like WTH! They obviously didn't have one person offering a deposit. I told them the other place took $500.. they were like oh.. okay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts