Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use this stuff? If so, results? Pro's and Con's?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Anyone use this stuff? If so, results? Pro's and Con's?
Those kinds of things almost never work. What were you hoping to gain anyways???

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well from researching on the net... ethanol is obviously bad for ANY motor. It attracts water, turns to tarnish/sludge, kills fuel economy, ect ect. This stuff came highly recommended by a friend. I looked around on on the net and it seems to get very high ratings. I will agree with you... there are a lot of stupid products out there like octane boosters and other BS that claim to improve fuel economy, protect your motor, and other BS. 99% of it is all just marketed to idiots that hear buzz words and think just cause a package has a common word its good... (ie. if i made a candy bar called Chocolate HD... it would sell cause it has the buzz word HD in it". This stuff is supposed to just keep your motor from being harmed by the problems associated with ethanol enriched gas.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Its good for the boat, ppl who use dodgy cheap ethanol, and for storage.

But unecessary if you just run quality 95 or 98 premium.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But unecessary if you just run quality 95 or 98 premium.
Well here in the states they put Ethanol in every grade now... at least around western NY... It's BS:mad:... like were communist now or something:rolleyes:

·
Registered
706 Posts
A LOT of that stuff is false. Ethanol is actually a cleaner burning fuel. The myths about it tarnishing things comes from older cars with old rubber fuel lines that would brake down from the ethanol. More so due to age then the fuel or the rubber though.

In a modern vehicle (98+) this is no longer a problem and the 10% ethanol will in no way harm the engine and will run cleaner. The only thing is that you "might" need 3% more fuel per mile then before. This really wouldn't be that noticeable though.

Ethanol has 35% or so less energy per gallon so when it's mixed 10% with with gas it's so diluted it will have nearly no effect. I've run my car on 3 gallons of E85 (85% ethanol) and 12 gallons of 10% ethanol gas with no ill effects and even when data logging it my long term and short term fuel trims were only effected by about 2% compared to the normal 93 octane fuel trims. I even checked my air fuel ratio's and it was running Stoich.

So my hands on experience says it's just a myth brought to you buy the people that sell these additives.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yeah, read the fuel requirements in the owners manual. they love ethanol.

I have a tank of old gas in my klr, and I have to dispose of it. This honda parts guy told me to put this stuff in and drive it off. the starbrite site says the same thing, so when I get the carb and chain and sprockets back on I am going to try it. Treat the tank for 5 gal, and top it off. right now it is 1/2 to 2/3 full, I like an experiment. I will let you know, but dont hold your breath.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All good input! I think I'm going to have to field test it with a tank of regular and then a tank of startron treated. I will start with 0-60. Then 1/4 mile. full tank to empty for MPG. and finally up hill accel tests.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, read the fuel requirements in the owners manual. they love ethanol.
Sorry to break your marbles but it says nothing like that at all.... and i quote" page 13. Do not use fuels containing a high concentration of alcohol." also looked on page 28 titled "refueling" and their is no mention the the bike running better or preferring ethanol. As a matter of fact page 108 says this word for word "The following fuel blends are EPA-approved and can be used in your motorcycle: Ethanol (ethyl alcohol) 10% by volume max"... which is followed by a notice stating "Improper use of oxygenated fuels can damage metal, rubber, and plastic parts of your fuel system". If the stuff is so safe and good why bring all these specifics to light.
The thing that intrigues me about this StarTron is that it's based on the same principles of of human biology of the liver. The liver uses enzymes to break down alcohol into harmless other chemical compounds to prevent it from ruining your body. Same in the bike... in theory it's enzymes break down the E-10 into harmless sub compounds of less volatile acetete (still an alcohol but not one associated with gas problems).

·
Registered
354 Posts
oops, I was being a little sarcastic about the post above mine. Honda limits at 10%, but I have heard of higher amounts being used in some states, which is where the startron will be handy even with fresh gas.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oops, I was being a little sarcastic about the post above mine. Honda limits at 10%, but I have heard of higher amounts being used in some states, which is where the startron will be handy even with fresh gas.
Yup. Here in NY they are actually thinking of raising it above 10%:rolleyes:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Sorry to break your marbles but it says nothing like that at all.... and i quote" page 13. Do not use fuels containing a high concentration of alcohol." also looked on page 28 titled "refueling" and their is no mention the the bike running better or preferring ethanol. As a matter of fact page 108 says this word for word "The following fuel blends are EPA-approved and can be used in your motorcycle: Ethanol (ethyl alcohol) 10% by volume max"... which is followed by a notice stating "Improper use of oxygenated fuels can damage metal, rubber, and plastic parts of your fuel system". If the stuff is so safe and good why bring all these specifics to light.
The thing that intrigues me about this StarTron is that it's based on the same principles of of human biology of the liver. The liver uses enzymes to break down alcohol into harmless other chemical compounds to prevent it from ruining your body. Same in the bike... in theory it's enzymes break down the E-10 into harmless sub compounds of less volatile acetete (still an alcohol but not one associated with gas problems).
Oxygenated fuel is like PC16 race fuel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well here in the states they put Ethanol in every grade now... at least around western NY... It's BS:mad:... like were communist now or something:rolleyes:
i had to read that twice... and realize that your super premium unleaded has lower octane than our lower end fuel. thats incredible

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i had to read that twice... and realize that your super premium unleaded has lower octane than our lower end fuel. thats incredible
Not really. Our fuel is based on PON (pump octane number) and yours is RON (Research Octane Test). American gas always seems not as good as RON when in fact it is the same (and has better quality control).

RON 90 = 87 PON
RON 98 = 97 PON
And so forth.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Different unit of measure

1 - 16 of 16 Posts