Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Folks, I found out that if you do not know how to check the Stator and Rectifier, you can take them out and have it check for $5 each in at a motorcycle junkyard. My nearest dealer does not want to do it unless they charged for a minimum of 1 hour.

Another thing that I found out is that it is a lot cheaper to get the Rectifier online - $50 vs $ 200 from dealer!!! I got it in 2 days after I ordered the part. I bought the Stator from the dealer before I ordered the Rectifier online for $ 150..:-(

Anyways, I have decided to change them both by myself today. I did them plus oil/filter change and chain adjustment in 4 hours. Oh, the time did not include taking out the Stator.

As you all know, the Stator is on the Clutch side of the motorcycle. You will also need to replace the gasket. I removed 6-7 bolts to remove the housing. There are 3 electrical connections that need to be removed. 1 is the ground pin, which I just pulled it out. The other 2 connections are underneath the gas tank. I opened up the side panels and disconnect them.

You will need to be careful when you put back the Stator. It should fit nicely back to its original position. When you put the housing back, you need to make sure that the Rod at the top goes all the way into the hole of the engine. As for the gasket, I put 2 screws at the top and bottom of the gasket/housing so as they can be aligned properly and slowly moving them towards the motorcycle as they will snap/pull towards the engine. I am told by the dealer that I do not need to add any oil in the Stator housing but need to top off the motor oil 'tank'.

Well, I just went ahead to change the motor oil and top it off. I changed the oil filter too.

The removal of the Rectifier is a lot easier. It is located on the same side of the Stator and is directly above it, and near the end of the gas tank and the front seat. There are 2 screws and an electrical connector to be removed. It is pretty straight forward.

After the replacement of the Stator, Rectifier, oil/filter change and tightening of the chain, I started the engine and measured the voltage of the battery. It is at 14.22V and I think it is good.

I hope the above explanation is helpful. If it is not clear, please let me know.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I think he means clutch lever-side of the bike.

Not sure about paying a junkyard dude $5 to check my stator or rectifier, or if I'd trust his result.....they're both really easy to test with a multimeter anyways.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts