Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was going to purchase a LeoVince slip-on but ended up having to spend that money on an unexpected bill :(
So my only option for now is to try to modify the stock pipe, I just want a little more exhaust sound from the bike I don't like not being able to hear myself let alone another car hear me when I'm riding especially on the highway. Soo after work tonight I will be heading over to my buddys, he has everything we will need in order to do a legitimate mod to the pipe, I plan on cutting it open on the side and pulling out the cat and re-working whatever is in there that makes it so muffled.
I plan on taking pics of the process and maybe a video afterwards if it sounds decent. I'm pretty sure there is another thread on this topic but I couldn't find the answer to my question.

What will happen performance wise if I remove the catlytic converter and what not?

·
Registered
356 Posts
ive heard people say that removing the airbox cover will give the stock exhaust a little more grunt... i have the leo vince slip on and i like it way more than stock, but bills are bills :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes bills are indeed bills.. If only I wasn't a broke college guy I could get a nice fancy slip-on like everyone else :(

·
Registered
501 Posts
You may not have to cut open to remove the cat. converter. You can see it from the pipe side of the exhaust. Read somewere if you remove it, it will make it louder , but dont remember the thread.

·
Registered
540 Posts
You may not have to cut open to remove the cat. converter. You can see it from the pipe side of the exhaust. Read somewere if you remove it, it will make it louder , but dont remember the thread.
This is a recipe for an instant failure at the next safety/emissions inspection, if his state has them. If the EPA catches you, it's a very hefty fine.

·
Registered
501 Posts
This is a recipe for an instant failure at the next safety/emissions inspection, if his state has them. If the EPA catches you, it's a very hefty fine.
Yes check with your state before removing cat., Idaho doesnt have emissions tests

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yes check with your state before removing cat., Idaho doesnt have emissions tests
It's still illegal federally, but admittedly you're much less likely to get caught. I haven't ever seen any roving gangs of EPA enforcement inspectors... but who knows what the future holds. It's an election year after all. ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, we didn't have to remove the cat, what we did was cut around the outer baffle and pulled the pipe out of the muffle at the end and left the cat, it is freaking LOUD now, I don't know what to think of it yet since I only got to ride it home in the rain. But I popped a wheelie leaving a stop light and that's something I've never done before so I think its getting more power now. I will try to make a video, I think for the most part its okay for now. I want to try to find a way to sexy up the hole at the end of the pipe tho. He used one of those electric-arc weld cutters and it made a perfect circular cut around the outside.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol i know it probably has nothing to do with the exhaust I just thought it was kinda a coincidence. I think my finger slipper to be honest but still pretty cool I wasn't even trying and surprised my friend lol. I'll try to post a vid tomorrow to show what it sounds like, even though I know exhaust videos don't really justify the real life sound.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Modifying the stock pipe =

Still heavy
Still no clearance
Still ugly.

But sounds horrible and goes slower.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Goes slower now? Jacking around with that thing isn't going to make the bike appreciably slower or faster. The "best" mufflers out there aren't increasing the power from this bike much more than 1hp.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well I agree with that entirely. I'd pay for a muffler that sounds exactly the same, hell it could weigh the same, as long as it doesn't look so god awful. I'm the last one that cares about how my bike looks for the most part. Don't care about chicken strips. I've never washed it. All my mean (sniffle) friends make fun of my huge tank bag. They make fun of the high-vis sticker on the back of my helmet. They are making fun of the idea of bar-end mirrors.

Yet even I, who gives less than a **** about how I look on the thing, cannot stand that god awful ugly muffler. *shakes fist at Honda*.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Modifying the stock pipe =

Still heavy
Still no clearance
Still ugly.

But sounds horrible and goes slower.
Half the aftermarket slip-ons are just a hollow can with packing in it. Don't see how thats much different than what I did, honestly the thing sounds mean now, like I said its just a temporary mod until I have enough money to throw on a name brand slip on. Not everyone has $350 dollars just laying around for one, and as far as I'm concerned the stock sounds way too much like a scooter and now I am actually heard and it sounds badass, no loss of power or performance. I've gotten as many opinions from all my friends and even other riders just seeing what they think and they say hell yeah leave it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts