Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, since we know the stock top speed for this bike (varies upon weight but typically between 75-90mph). Who here has added a full exhaust, reset the ECU to take advantage of it, K&N filter / airbox mods and has upped the gearing a tooth on the front sprocket? If so, I'd be curious to know if anyone is paralleling the stock Ninja 250.

I heard this bike really benefits from full exhaust set up, as it sheds 10+lb's of weight and does away with the very restrictive setup, in combination with the better breathing...it also apparently increases the overhead at redline, which theoretically, should mean speed gains. In addition, I have noticed that there is a power commander available, which should smooth out the power and maybe enhance response, or you could just remap the ECU. I would be curious to know what different combinations everyone is running and what they're getting on the track (or highway).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi there, I get mine to 155kph with no problems I am 5'8 and 60kg
and my bike is 100% standard (for the moment) remember that a stock Ninja only goes 160 no more it is only fast after you start adding some mods to it and due to its simplicity a few mods makes it hella faster (New Carbs/CDI/Exhaust) you get over 190, where as the CBR250 is FI so its alot more complicated to play around with.

Exhaust Mods don't help alot with top speed when they say 10-15%increase it doesn't mean the bike from 155 will go 178 it increases the acceleration by that much and the top speed will go to 160+ I think acceleration is everything specially in Bali roads and on the roads the CBR leaves the Ninja behind.

My first mod will of course be the exhaust then I will wait for a proper aftermarket ECU to come out, I can't do too much mods as I want to use the bike for daily commuting but still want to leave those ninjas in the dust:cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there, I get mine to 155kph with no problems I am 5'8 and 60kg
and my bike is 100% standard (for the moment) remember that a stock Ninja only goes 160 no more it is only fast after you start adding some mods to it and due to its simplicity a few mods makes it hella faster (New Carbs/CDI/Exhaust) you get over 190, where as the CBR250 is FI so its alot more complicated to play around with.

Exhaust Mods don't help alot with top speed when they say 10-15%increase it doesn't mean the bike from 155 will go 178 it increases the acceleration by that much and the top speed will go to 160+ I think acceleration is everything specially in Bali roads and on the roads the CBR leaves the Ninja behind.

My first mod will of course be the exhaust then I will wait for a proper aftermarket ECU to come out, I can't do too much mods as I want to use the bike for daily commuting but still want to leave those ninjas in the dust:cool:
A fair point, I'm not expecting miracles by strapping on exhaust, I just know that in the case of the Ninja, you throw on a full exhaust (or even just a slip on), throw in some stage 2 jets, K&N air filter or remove airbox in favor of a POD filter, and you have afforded yourself a substantial amount of bottom, mid, and overhead RPM's, that will utilize higher gearing, for more top speed, and lower RPM's at highway speeds. I was just wondering if the CBR's behaved this way as well. I'm looking to picked one of these up in the next month. The thing is, I want to be able to have a good local commuter but something I can take across the Great Plains and still be able to overtake traffic at around 75-80mph. In the Midwest and Great Plains, if you are on the interstate and doing under 75-80, people are going to be flying past you, heck people commonly are doing 90.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Lucky of you that you get nice long high ways where you get to use the top speed:( here where I am its almost pointless because highways are not even 1km long then boom another red light and the traffic! :mad:

Heres something to look at tho

I don't know if the money is an issue and if the price difference is there same there but here:

CBR250r 2011 - $4,666
Kawasaki Ninja 250r 2011 - $6000 (Std) SE is $6,300

Almost $1,300 of diference, and i already calculated if I spend that much on mods I can beat the standard Ninja with no problems :D

For long runs also CBR has the advantage I know that Ninja is notoriously infamous for overheating:eek: I took my friends one out for spin 30mins into it the bike over heated and slowed down... I might have played the revs abit to high:eek: but the cbr hasn't given me this problem yet.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Not 2

Judging from this thread - http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-performance/1309-race-winner.html - and the comments from HoPMix in post #61, removing the intake snorkel (or airbox lid, not sure) is worth 2 HP.

That's a huge gain for a simple mod.

Anyone else tried it ?
There is some mistake there. I run with the air box lid removed. I didn't do any timed runs to compare but of course there is no way to gain 2hp just from doing that. The racer that posted here gained not quite 3hp from a full exhaust, fuel controller, and a vel stack. Changing to a slip on and opening the air box should give a 1.5hp bump at 8,700 rpm but now the bike is very loud for early morning commuting.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Riding position

The thing is, I want to be able to have a good local commuter but something I can take across the Great Plains and still be able to overtake traffic at around 75-80mph. In the Midwest and Great Plains, if you are on the interstate and doing under 75-80, people are going to be flying past you, heck people commonly are doing 90.
The main thing that effects top speed and highway roll on passing is riding position. If you sit upright and are riding into a headwind, you will find the situation that others have reported on saying that the CBR250R will gradually slow back down to 75mph after shifting into 6th. If you lay on the tank the bike is a dart through the wind. Roll on in 6th from 65-85mph is no problem although fuel economy drops quite a bit at 80mph vs 65. At 80mph you may get 65mpg US which is still better than my Ninja on it's best day at 65. Put a pipe and jets in a Ninja and you will be lucky to get 40mpg.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The main thing that effects top speed and highway roll on passing is riding position. If you sit upright and are riding into a headwind, you will find the situation that others have reported on saying that the CBR250R will gradually slow back down to 75mph after shifting into 6th. If you lay on the tank the bike is a dart through the wind. Roll on in 6th from 65-85mph is no problem although fuel economy drops quite a bit at 80mph vs 65. At 80mph you may get 65mpg US which is still better than my Ninja on it's best day at 65. Put a pipe and jets in a Ninja and you will be lucky to get 40mpg.
Correct. To pass lay on tank. ex250 or cbr250. Top speed superman the legs straight out the back :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts