Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odometer just ticked past 300 mi this morning and I'm loving my CBR250R. One of the things that's bothering me though isn't with the bike per se (though the svelte nature of the 250 contributes to the problem) but with not being able to trigger stoplights. On several occasions I've been stranded at stoplights until a car comes up behind me and triggers the light. I've tried rocking the bike back and forth and bouncing a bit but so far it hasn't seemed to help much. Anyone else having such problems or have any ideas?

·
745 Posts
This can be a problem with most motorcycles (and it's a constant issue when i'm on my bicycle). In NC, they just passed a law making it legal to run the light if you've been there more than three minutes.

As you approach a light, look for narrow (~3/8" ) cuts in the pavement filled with sealer. If they put in ribbon sensors, you'll see lines with diagonal cuts on the corners. Stop directly over one of the lines if possible. Of course, it may be a different type of sensor, or paved over. In that case, remember that the longer you wait for it to change, the more credible your choice to run it is. I have been known to turn right on red (legal in NC) then U-turn or otherwise work myself into the direction I want.

Remember that two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights DO make a left.

Luke

·
Registered
193 Posts
According to Minnesota Statute 169.06 Subd. 9. Affirmative defense relating to unchanging traffic-control signal. (a) A person operating a bicycle or motorcycle who violates subdivision 4 by entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light has an affirmative defense to that charge if the person establishes all of the following conditions:
(1) the bicycle or motorcycle has been brought to a complete stop;
(2) the traffic-control signal continues to show a red light for an unreasonable time;
(3) the traffic-control signal is apparently malfunctioning or, if programmed or engineered to change to a green light only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle, the signal has apparently failed to detect the arrival of the bicycle or motorcycle; and
(4) no motor vehicle or person is approaching on the street or highway to be crossed or entered or is so far away from the intersection that it does not constitute an immediate hazard.
(b) The affirmative defense in this subdivision applies only to a violation for entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light and does not provide a defense to any other civil or criminal action.

In other words, the light becomes a sign as long as you can get across safely.

What state are you in danh489? Maybe you can do this too.

·
745 Posts
now Madd.. .why you wanna be so mean? We all know that as long as you've been riding you'd be a grease spot if you followed your own advice...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Here in Tn we have the motorcycle red light law as well...only after coming to a complete stop with no other traffic and waiting for reasonable amount of time for the light to change and if it is clear and safe to do so..you may run the red light on your motorcycle.

But they also added an amendment to that...claiming you thought it was a light that wouldnt trigger by the precense of your motorcycle is not a defense to a citation in court...so basically any jerk LEO with an attitude can still ticket you for it and simply say they didnt feel you waited long enough before running it or that you ran a TIMED red light. (still illegal to do)

·
Registered
928 Posts
now Madd.. .why you wanna be so mean? We all know that as long as you've been riding you'd be a grease spot if you followed your own advice...
The only thing that stops me is those darn red light cameras.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Couldn't you have your pistol-packin' chimp take those out for you? :eek: :D

Luke - At least m-t is OUR grease spot. :p ;) :D

At least my chimp doesnt wear a yellow helmet. Wouldnt want to look like Curious Georges man in the hat!
But the monkey has been known to put a couple rounds threw some signs.

·
Registered
681 Posts
You guys give madd a break... how do you not love a chimp with a gun?

·
Registered
64 Posts
If it's a light you frequent often, try calling the county (parish if you live in Louisiana). Here in Georgia, all the lights are "supposed" to trigger for motorcycles. Let them know it's not working and they might be able to do something about it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
At least my chimp doesnt wear a yellow helmet. Wouldnt want to look like Curious Georges man in the hat!
But the monkey has been known to put a couple rounds threw some signs.
Good one M-T! :cool:

I may look like The Man in the Yellow Hat, but I'm fine with that as long as the cagers see me. :)

I think I'd like hanging out with the monkey. What kind of pistol packin' primate is he? Glock, Sig, H&K, Colt, S&W?
He sounds like a high caliber chimp. I'm guessing .45? :D

·
Registered
928 Posts
Good one M-T! :cool:

I may look like The Man in the Yellow Hat, but I'm fine with that as long as the cagers see me. :)

I think I'd like hanging out with the monkey. What kind of pistol packin' primate is he? Glock, Sig, H&K, Colt, S&W?
He sounds like a high caliber chimp. I'm guessing .45? :D

Glock model 23 .40 cal. he likes the .45 but prefers the higher capacity and higher speed of the .40. He hides a NAA mini mag in his banana!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if this was a problem for anyone else, and it appears so. Has any tried sticking a nice strong magnet to the bottom of their bike? The sensors work via sensing changes in the surrounding magnetic field. A nice strong magnet, such as a neodymium magnet should work. Has anyone tried this?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts