Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a lot of the reason I got this bike along with many others is for the gas mileage and to be a commuter.

Well when I ride to work in the morning its at 3:30am with no other drivers on the road hardly. So wen I stop at a stop light usually I am the only one.

The light never changes! I sit there for maybe 5 min plus waiting for a car to come and weigh enough or be visible enough to trigger the red lights green.

All of these stop lights are sensor triggered at night so I know its not a timer.

Any suggestions??? Lol thank you in advance.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Find another route lol. I had the same problem and had to find another way.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
In Illinois, they allow motorcyclists to proceed as if the red light was a stop sign if the light doesn't change after a "reasonable" time so check your local laws. If it's just one or two lights and if you pass them every morning, you can try contacting the appropriate municipality and ask them to adjust the sensor, although they'd have to make them pretty sensitive for our little CBRs to trigger them.

Reactions: efoo and Swiftnezz

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Oh, and if it's there, you can always hop off the bike and run over and push the crosswalk button. LOL

·
Registered
628 Posts
You could always bust a right, a quick u, and another right hah

·
Registered
534 Posts
I come to a stop, sit for a bit and triple check traffic (it's midnight when I'm coming home from work) and then just go.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Oh, and if it's there, you can always hop off the bike and run over and push the crosswalk button. LOL
Hah! I just had a visual of me doing that and tripping over the curb.

Reactions: Hornet

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Hell...at 3am..you could even ride up on the sidewalk and press the button whild still on the bike. Hmmm...i guess that's just as illegal as it might be to run the light in the first place, though. nevermind.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Some areas have special sensors for bicyclists that extend slightly into the crosswalk so pull a bit forward and see if it changes.

I just go for it when it doesn't look like the sensors are working but to each his own. The most proactive approach would be to contact your city hall and advise them of the cruddy sensors.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Nothing but red light cameras here but all of the stop lights trigger normally. Some are weight sensors and others are metal sensors. Being that nothing is metal on our bikes, you may run into some issues there.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Wow. I NEVER even considered this problem. I guess I will also be looking this up for my city etc. Does this happen to all motorcycles? Or is it b/c ours is so light?

·
Registered
350 Posts
+1 for popping a right, and pulling the nearest U-turn... do it all the time... unfortunately...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Wow. I NEVER even considered this problem. I guess I will also be looking this up for my city etc. Does this happen to all motorcycles? Or is it b/c ours is so light?
Most areas have sensors designed to be triggered by about 850+lbs

·
Registered
154 Posts
Apparently there exist sensors you can buy and stick on your bike that make the lights sense it as a car. I dont know much else about them, but I had the same problem with one light and I just changed the angle I approach it to the outside of the lane and it seems to be working.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Our state has the one cycle of light law. If it doesnt change , next light cycle you can proceed with caution. If a car behind me, I pull up far enough for the car behind me to trigger a light if it wont change.

·
Registered
52 Posts
There's a highway exit near me that I always use and thankfully there are usually cars there. It only has the sensor in the left of the two lanes and a bike will NOT trigger it. Feels kinda silly after a while, but been saved by cars thus far.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
red light changers for motorcycles are nothing more than neodymium magnets for more than $20...but so are hard drive magnets but for alot cheaper...i ordered 2 neodymium hard drive magnets off ebay for $5 shipping included..put small screws n nuts to hold the 2 together back to back..stuck it under my bike...most problem lights change for me now...if possible try to stop over the top of a part of the line in the road where they buried the sensor in the pavement to increase ur chance of triggering it,,also dont put the magnet on the exhaust or right next to it...heat kills a magnetic field

·
Registered
221 Posts
Roll back and forth again. should work

1 - 20 of 64 Posts