Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CBR250 brain trust: Just wondering if any one rents a storage unit to stow their bikes when done riding. The apartment complex I'm in does not have garages like my last one. There is a storage facility about 1 mile from my place and it would be 60/mo for a 5x10 locker. Other option is obviously storing it outside with a lock and cover. Picking up my new tri-color in the next week!:D I want to keep the bike safe and protected from thieves, idiots, and the elements so I am leaning toward getting a storage unit. Thanks :cool:

·
Registered
385 Posts
$720 a year to store a cheap bike is steep. 1 mile away isn't all that convenient. I'd only do it if I had other stuff that needed storing there but 5 x 10 won't accomodate much. I've seen people with ground floor apartments cover a patch of rug and wheel the bike inside. Can make a nice touch in the living room. May have to re-do the rest of the accutrements to match the style.

·
745 Posts
If you store it outside, get a good lock - but also get theft insurance, because a determined thief can eventually get though any lock. Lock it to something - I've seen video of two-three guys just grabbing a bike and going with it.

Multiple locks might be good - The longer it takes to steal it, the more likely the thief will look for easier pickings.

It's a gut call - how many breakins / thefts at your complex last year? How pi**ed off are you going to be if somebody jacks your bike? Are you willing to confront someone trying to steal it?

Last but not least, do you share your apartment? If so, the storage unit would give you room to store gear, tools, and stuff like chain lube, oil, and, say, the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue.

Personally, I hate a thief - and I'd be inclined toward inflicting serious bodily injury should I catch one. For me, then, the storage unit would be a better choice. Weigh the advantages and the disadvantages, guess at the potential for problems in your specific situation, then make a decision. Important: Once you make that decision, don't look back, and if the decision is to rent, there is no point in revisiting the logic until the contract (1 year?) is almost up. It's a waste of time.

Congrats on the Tri-color (or tri-colour, in deference to our British/Aussie friends). Hope you love it!

Luke

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Personally, I hate a thief - and I'd be inclined toward inflicting serious bodily injury should I catch one. For me, then, the storage unit would be a better choice.
Luke
Or...you could store it on the street and, if necessary get the storage locker to stash the body of the would-be thief. That way you only have to pay for the locker if you actually need it. ;)

·
1,305 Posts
what sort of car port do you have?

can you fit the bike in sideways infront of the car?

nothing is quick as secure as a car, a wall and a locked bike.....

well other then a garage too

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
@Pete
I'll be moving soon in August so it's only a few months of rent. Hopefully the next place has on site garages. Going to call the place up and get the deets. I am actually on the ground floor and have the perfect spot for it, i'll have to check the lease too. If it was winter storage I would sneak it in definitely.

@Luke
Yikes yeah I would be epically pissed. There are no solid objects around that I can lock the bike onto so it would be out in the open. I would get a lock anyway for when I go out.

@Top
At this new complex I am without a garage. I did have one at my old place which would have been perfect.

If the price is right I will get the storage unit for piece of mind, other wise I might take on a new roommate in the living room;)

·
Registered
385 Posts
If there's nothing in your new or current lease about parking vehicles in the apartment because they didn't think of it - don't ask.
So far I've seen fish tank and waterbed prohibitions (California - earthquakes) but no motorcycle prohibitions.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Always indoors just my opinion. that way the bike never has to keep having the sun beat down on it or freeze. which isnt good for some of the rubber parts of the bike. I used to keep My honda shadow outside covered, but some rubber bits dry rot. tires started cracking sooner than they should. Wife wouldnt let bring it in the house anymore:(

·
Registered
350 Posts
If I didn't have a garage, There'd be no debate. It's not a GoldWing, and would fit next to any living room TV.
Nothing a cheap carpet runner wouldn't allow for...

·
Registered
148 Posts
I went in on a $60/month garage with two others a few blocks away.

The winter was so warm that the bike was in there for a total of maybe two weeks. But it's nice to be able to keep other stuff in there, and $20 a month is nothing for a city garage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well now I am a little bit concerned. I keep the bike parked outside. I live in a very small Canadian city and there isn't much in the way of crime that I'm aware of. I bought a cover for it, but I live on an upper floor and don't have access to any nearby garages. Will keeping it outside in the summer really cause that much damage to the bike?

I have already talked to a buddy of mine that will let me store it at his place for the winter sicne he has a fairly large garage though....but he lives about an hour away!

·
Registered
501 Posts
If you leave it out in summer, try & keep it out of the sun. If covered make sure you cover will vent the heat out. It usually takes a couple years for the weather to start to degrade hoses and etc. I dont think much of anything is made with real rubber now days. Mostly plastic & different plastics degrad at different rates. Just look how your car different hoses & plastics look after a few years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts