Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used Yoshi muffler bracket from a member here (Thanks, Jim!)
While installing it was no problem, I stripped a hex bolt trying to remove the passenger peg bracket on the opposite side of the bike, even after initially dousing it with PB Blaster. I've tried drilling it out to no avail and I can't get a Dremel cutting wheel under it since the bolt is recessed in the bracket, or behind it without possibly damaging the frame.
I'm pretty much resigned to picking up an extractor kit today to finally get it out of there.
Is this bolt be so difficult to remove because of galvanic corrosion between the bolt and the aluminum bracket?
Should I be applying anti-seize compound on these bolts as a matter of course?
With my CBR turning 10 next year I'm wondering if I'm going to see this problem becoming more common.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Another method would be to drill the head off, starting with a smaller bit and slowing increasing until you are just over the diameter of the threads. Once the bracket can be removed you could slot the screw, grab it with a ViseGrips, or heat the area. It's surprising how much some direct heat will loosen a really tight bolt.

I would use something on the threads. Even medium thread-locker would help to prevent corrosion, but on those bolts Anti Seize should be fine as well..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes, no bolt should ever go on dry. Should have either anti-seize or locking-compound. Especially if it's dissimilar metals. Problem is getting PB-blaster into threads, which are hidden far away. Is back side of bolt accessible? Spray PB-blaster on back side of bolt.

Why can't you drill it? Is your drill-bit sharp? Use cobalt bits, they can be re-sharpened. Extractors are dangerous because they can break off inside your bolt, leaving you worse off.

1. always use internal hex sockets. NEVER use little L-shaped keys, they will strip bolts much easier than sockets+ratchet wrench!!!

2. try pounding in torx bit that's slightly larger than hex hole. Torx is tapered, so it gets larger and grips tighter as you pound it in. Then use ratchet to undo.

3. get sharp cobalt drill-bit set, use lots of cutting-oil. Go slowly and drill 1/8" hole about 1/8" into stripped bolt hole. Then go with next size up bit. Then next size up. When you get hole as large as bolt-shank (8mm), head of bolt will break off and you can remove bracket. Soak little stub that's left with PB-blaster and let sit overnight. Grab with ViseGrip pliers and remove.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great suggestions. Thanks.
I may try drilling it out again once I get a new set of bits. My old cheap ones are obviously not up to the task.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts