Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Wow. Thought I was going to die today. Saddens me that this topic happens to be my first post on the forums.

I was just on the highway going maybe 75-80mph in 6th gear. I believe the RPM was 8-8.5k or something like that then it all of a sudden spiked down to 6.5-7k. I try pinning the throttle on, but can't get any more power. My speed drops down to 65mph and I can't go any faster than that. I downshift to 5th gear and try to get more speed. It picks up maybe 2mph and then reverses and continues its decline of mph. Bike starts slowing down to the low 50mphs before I could get to the side of the highway. Without emergency blinkers all I could do was use turn signals and people thought I was cutting them off going really slowly. Full throttle didn't help, in fact probably made it worse. I felt if I tried to add even more gas it would slow the rpms and power even more. There seemed to be a level of throttle I could use to keep the bike moving, but at really slow speeds. I do know I still had power in the lower gears. I was able to cruise home at ~30-40mph with a trailing car with hazard lights on. In neutral I am able to rev past 9k rpm no problem. I have no idea what is going on. Does anyone know what the hell happened? Thanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My bike had the 600mi initial maintenance a little bit earlier. It has 1250mi on it now when it hit these problems today. When I got it back from maintenance the engine was louder than when it was new. Could that have been related? Did the maintenance guys mess something up?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cb1kr,

Thanks for the comment. I just took it out again and I think you might be onto something. If I use the last 10-15% of the throttle in any gear I start losing power and speed. This would explain why 5th and 6th gear have problems because to use those speeds I am almost full throttling?

Could this be something up with the ECM? Would resetting it do anything to help here? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
A bad fuel pump definitely could do it, but the last person that had a similar issue found something under the seat had shifted and blocked the intake snorkel - different bike, but checking for a blocked intake is worth a look.

Jay

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had the same problem on my Vstrom.....it was a partially blocked fuel filter. Fortunately the CBR filter is outside the gas tank and easy to change if that is the problem. The service manual probably gives a volume of fuel the pump should deliver in X number of seconds. Just run the fuel line into a graduated beaker and turn the key on.
It just takes one tank of bad gas to clog a filter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
jkv357 and hondafan,

Thanks for the replies! It was exactly what jkv357 said it might have been! Holy crap. My Honda toolkit with the allen wrench that I had in the backseat slid through the gap between the back and front seats and got sucked into the air intake. I'm guessing when I full throttle it used so much sucking force that it blocked the intake completely. When I wasn't full throttle it just partial blocked the intake.

I took out the kit from the intake and went for a spin. I believe all my power is back! I haven't tried highway speeds yet, but I'm pretty sure all is good. Thanks a lot guys. You guys helped me a whole lot today! Love the people on these forums :D

Lesson learned. Always strap down that toolkit under the band.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You said it revs just fine in neutral but won't in gear? Don't know if it's related b ut I had a problem where mine would run all day in neutral but in gear it would spit and sputter then eventually stall. They replaced the start/kill assembly and the problem went away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
same issue I think...

Hey Guys

This sounds a lot like what happened to me yesterday. Its been playing up since I got it serviced. Twice now my bike has strangled and died only after about 5 minutes on highway speeds in 4/5 gear at 100kmph. The second time, I was able to get to an offramp and after about 30 seconds of going slow and roll-starting my bike started working fine again and was back to normal at 60kph. When it dies it feels like its running out of petrol, the lights don't dim or anything.

I've replaced the fuel pump about two years ago with a generic one, but I would have thought it would last a lot longer than two years.

I pulled off the fairings off my bike (its an 88 cbr250r) and couldn't see anything in the air intake tubing that lead from under my seat but I noticed the top was screwed on tight? Isn't it meant to be loose.

Sorry, I'm a complete noob at most of this, would anyone have a link to a how-to for inspecting your air intake?

·
Registered
331 Posts
A bad fuel pump definitely could do it, but the last person that had a similar issue found something under the seat had shifted and blocked the intake snorkel - different bike, but checking for a blocked intake is worth a look.

Jay
I'll have to remember this for when I go back home. Headed back up to work in prudhoe bay for another two weeks. Tyvm.

Sent from my Milestone X using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same Near Death Experience

My wife was following me on the highway into Boston yesterday, at one point I looked and she was no longer behind me. She on her 2011 CBR250r was trying to maintain 70mph and all of a sudden she lost all power. She did say that at one point the RPM's cranked up to almost 10k RPM's. Once she lost power she could only use her horn not even her directionals. She tried to restart the bike while riding but no luck. I took the bike for a spin and I could start out in 1st then upshift as I gained speed, once I hit about 54mph and 7500rpm's I could not get anymore power. What would happen was once I hit the 7500rpm mark, the bike would maintain speed while the tach needle kept going up, it was almost as if I pulled in the clutch and cranked on the throttle. But if I maintained about 7k rpm I could slowly increase the mph ever so slightly, but there was no getting out of the way in a hurry if I had to. Very recently I had an issue where I put too much oil in the bike, I had to take the gas tank off, take the air box out and clean out all the oil. The filter was saturated and I had to put a new one in. The bike however has been operating normally since then, well until yesterday. What did you find out with yours?

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
It certainly sounds like the clutch is slipping. :(

Reactions: MotoMike

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
My wife was following me on the highway into Boston yesterday, at one point I looked and she was no longer behind me. She on her 2011 CBR250r was trying to maintain 70mph and all of a sudden she lost all power. She did say that at one point the RPM's cranked up to almost 10k RPM's. Once she lost power she could only use her horn not even her directionals. She tried to restart the bike while riding but no luck. I took the bike for a spin and I could start out in 1st then upshift as I gained speed, once I hit about 54mph and 7500rpm's I could not get anymore power. What would happen was once I hit the 7500rpm mark, the bike would maintain speed while the tach needle kept going up, it was almost as if I pulled in the clutch and cranked on the throttle. But if I maintained about 7k rpm I could slowly increase the mph ever so slightly, but there was no getting out of the way in a hurry if I had to. Very recently I had an issue where I put too much oil in the bike, I had to take the gas tank off, take the air box out and clean out all the oil. The filter was saturated and I had to put a new one in. The bike however has been operating normally since then, well until yesterday. What did you find out with yours?
Yup... clutch is slipping. Time to get it to the dealer and have it checked out.

How many miles since the oil overfill?

·
Registered
414 Posts
jkv357 and hondafan,

Thanks for the replies! It was exactly what jkv357 said it might have been! Holy crap. My Honda toolkit with the allen wrench that I had in the backseat slid through the gap between the back and front seats and got sucked into the air intake. I'm guessing when I full throttle it used so much sucking force that it blocked the intake completely. When I wasn't full throttle it just partial blocked the intake.

I took out the kit from the intake and went for a spin. I believe all my power is back! I haven't tried highway speeds yet, but I'm pretty sure all is good. Thanks a lot guys. You guys helped me a whole lot today! Love the people on these forums :D

Lesson learned. Always strap down that toolkit under the band.
Thanks for the update on what you found to be the problem. This, of course, is something totally preventable which Honda should not have allowed to happen...after all, a person could put other things in the (very limited) space beneath the seat-- a T shirt, registration, etc. The owner's manual says nothing about not placing personal belongings in the only stock space we are given on the bike.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Wrong motorcycle in 88 they didn't make this moddel you have a CBR250R-j this is the wrong forum for you. This motorcycle came out in 2010 overseas and 2011 in the USA. It is a single cylinder motorcycle yours has 4. I'm not sure if you looked at all the pics here but none of them look like your motorcycle that should be a clue.
Hey Guys

This sounds a lot like what happened to me yesterday. Its been playing up since I got it serviced. Twice now my bike has strangled and died only after about 5 minutes on highway speeds in 4/5 gear at 100kmph. The second time, I was able to get to an offramp and after about 30 seconds of going slow and roll-starting my bike started working fine again and was back to normal at 60kph. When it dies it feels like its running out of petrol, the lights don't dim or anything.

I've replaced the fuel pump about two years ago with a generic one, but I would have thought it would last a lot longer than two years.

I pulled off the fairings off my bike (its an 88 cbr250r) and couldn't see anything in the air intake tubing that lead from under my seat but I noticed the top was screwed on tight? Isn't it meant to be loose.

Sorry, I'm a complete noob at most of this, would anyone have a link to a how-to for inspecting your air intake?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wrong motorcycle in 88 they didn't make this moddel you have a CBR250R-j this is the wrong forum for you. This motorcycle came out in 2010 overseas and 2011 in the USA. It is a single cylinder motorcycle yours has 4. I'm not sure if you looked at all the pics here but none of them look like your motorcycle that should be a clue.
True it is different than ours, but at least posting here got him the help he needs :)

oops older thread my bad >.>

1 - 19 of 19 Posts