Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I visit a lot of boards and run a few gaming boards and I notice this website has tons of issues with spam bots. Like hella bad. Right now like what 4 topics are up which are spam bots, and everyday I login it seems I see other ones.

So here is my suggestion.

These bots are coming here because its such an easy target. There is an easy way to avoid this happening.

If you enable the Moderation Queue it will get rid of all bots. I know that one for a fact :D

So yeah, Moderation queue works simple.. Anyone with less than 1 post has to have their post accepted by the mods before its visible to anyone on the forums.

That way, When spam bots come, they can do their spam but it will never be seen by the forum members because the mods can just disapprove the post and not let them post their spam.

Yes, It makes it annoying for new people that come that are not spam bots, But when we did the same thing to our forums the positives out weighed the negatives. Yes the new forum member asking a question may have to wait for a little bit for the post to be accepted, but at least the forums are not constantly filled with spam.

You can also make it where it has to be accepted when they have less than X amount of posts, such as 3, etc. But yeah, I think 1 works best because it just gets the spam bots out.

Alright, Now, Sorry if this was mentioned somewhere else, I did a little searching with no luck. I just think its a little lame that everytime I look at new posts, like 4 of em are a spam bot when that can easily be fixed.

·
Super Moderator
6,913 Posts
Bump, I see more bots.

Could a mod at least lemme know if they are at least thinking about it or if it got shot right down. lol
Your suggestion would be something for the site Administrator to take up. You can send the Administrator a PM, and include a link to this thread.

As Moderators, we try to delete the spam and ban the poster as soon as we see it, or as soon as it is reported by a member... most of the spam is dealt with fairly quickly. The key to dealing with spam is that members such as yourself report it as soon as you see it. As a back up, Moderators even receive off-site e-mail notifications whenever a post is reported by a member.

FWIW, the spam we get here isn't posted by "spam bots"... it's being posted by real people who are doing it to make money. That's how they are able to defeat the security questions when they sign up as new members.

For my part, I think your suggestion is worth taking a look at. We Mod's have talked about something similar before. I'm in favor of new members being required to have a minimum of something like 10 or 20 posts before they can start a new thread... might even help cut down on all the redundant threads that are started here on a regular basis. The down side is that the spammers will then muck up our regular, legitimate threads, so it still won't eliminate the problem.

Mike

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, The moderation queue as I was explaining makes it where they cannot post or make a topic until they get it approved and have X amount of posts.

So, It wouldn't clutter up legitimate threads since they couldn't even post in those.

Also, I know "some" of them are real people but not all of them. I notice most of the time its links to like video's and crap and they really don't gain anything from it. I mean hell, who doesn't know how to pirate these days w/o someone posting fakes links? I would say most of them are programmed bots which know the answer to the security questions. There are also other ways to block them via the security answer but its not worth trying since Moderation queue solves it all.

Also, I guess ill PM the Admin but figured he would see it here or the staff would discuss it on the staff board. But yeah, Thanks for the reply Mike.

I know most of it is dealt with fairly quickly, but when I login early in the mornings there is always spam for at least 4 hours. I know it easy to avoid and just go to another topic, but it just makes the forums look bad, more less some of the links could be infected which expose members to that so that's why its good to cut it off using a way to stop them from doing it.

But yeah on PhPBB I know its hella simple to set up in ACP, I doubt anyone here has ACP except the owner so yeah guess ill just PM the owner. I believe VBulletin works close to the same way.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Site admins really need to deal with this issue that has been going on for months. It can't be that hard, I have not seen spam go on this long on any other forum I read. Since there have been new moderators added they have done a good job a clearing it off quickly, but that is treating the symptom and not the cause.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Site admins really need to deal with this issue that has been going on for months. It can't be that hard, I have not seen spam go on this long on any other forum I read. Since there have been new moderators added they have done a good job a clearing it off quickly, but that is treating the symptom and not the cause.
Yeah I never said the mods weren't doing a good job, I mean who expects them to be on every second of every day? No one.

But yeah, Like you said it treats the symptom not the cause, Thus the reason I made this topic to take care of the cause.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
sidenote; website 'stopforumspam.com' has a convenient search
capability, type in name for hits listed from other forums..
includes nationality flag, ip, toxic or throwaway email address etc..
typical cut and paste spammers here inevitably come up
on stopforumspam with multiple hits..

vbulletin [our ma site] has search function by name, ip etc as well
for easy additional checking by mods.. sometimes i spot a spammer
by name used [letter sequence with a name in it plus 2 -3 numbers etc]
check stopforumspam and if ip matches registration i ban them immediately..

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
I like the idea Arrethul. The admins should read this topic and hopefully reply to it shortly but i think it sounds like a good idea. There is usually at least one mod on the site at any one time so it shouldn't take too long to approve the posts but this would be a handy way of removing the spam.

Removing the spam posts/threads on this site usually happens pretty quickly because by the time i view a thread that has been reported as spam it has usually already been deleted and the user banned by another mod before i even get a chance myself, although it doesn't really help stop the issue because the spam still lingers on :)

·
Super Moderator
6,913 Posts
The question I've been asking myself lately is why the spammers seem to target this site. Do other motorcycle forums have this much spam coming into their sites on a daily basis? Is CBR250.net their chosen site to target for some particular reason? I could understand that something like a gaming site would be a likely target for the specific kind of spam we get here, the online TV & Movie stuff. We use to get a lot of spam that was all about selling electronics, iphones and such... those kinds of spam haven't been seen here in quite a while.

What is it about this particular website that draws the spammers here?

I wonder if the new Grom site gets its share of spam?

·
Registered
272 Posts
The question I've been asking myself lately is why the spammers seem to target this site. Do other motorcycle forums have this much spam coming into their sites on a daily basis? Is CBR250.net their chosen site to target for some particular reason? I could understand that something like a gaming site would be a likely target for the specific kind of spam we get here, the online TV & Movie stuff. We use to get a lot of spam that was all about selling electronics, iphones and such... those kinds of spam haven't been seen here in quite a while.

What is it about this particular website that draws the spammers here?

I wonder if the new Grom site gets its share of spam?
Spammers use Google searches and bot crawlers to look for sites worth spamming. The better the Google rank, the better the spam hopes.

Another way to limit spam is to force all users to stay post moderated until they post in the introduction forum.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Super Moderator
6,913 Posts
Spammers use Google searches and bot crawlers to look for sites worth spamming. The better the Google rank, the better the spam hopes.

Another way to limit spam is to force all users to stay post moderated until they post in the introduction forum.
As I recall, this is what they do over at the CBR600RR.net site.

·
Registered
504 Posts
They do it on the gixxer.com forum too, I see the same spammers on here as I do there. All the sites to spam are listed at the very bottom of this page under the "motorcycle.com network".

Give all the members ability to ban other members with less than 5 posts. :D We'll take it from there.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah making it where either A. They need posts accepted before they can ever post if they have less than 1 post. Or B. You have to post in Introductions to be able to unlock your account but then you'll have spam bots just hit that section and then go on a spam spree.

Either way, All online boards have to deal with spambots. Speaking of, One is posting on here right now.

But yeah, I think Moderation Panel would be the best solution here, Like this morning our forums had a lot of bot posts but none went visible because of Moderation Panel.

This is how it ends up looking via internally and other forum members never seen them.

So yeah, I think an admin should think about it and make it where these forums don't have to deal with spam, A and B work and either would be great to have added.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts