Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Suitable for Touring ? verdict: Yes !

15K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  CBR250R 
#1 · (Edited)
Got back from a trial overnight. Now I know that I can plan on taking this bike for the longer haul tours. I've determined the following things:

I find the vibration between 7-8,000 rpms to be the most annoying. Happily once I got just over 8,000 rpms the tingling from the handgrips melts away as whatever is resonating, stops doing it. Happily that happens at about 75 mph, just about the speed that one would be doing on the interstate.

When doing the 75mph freeway thing, the gas mileage drops into the 55 mpg range.
I did one tank on nothing but backroads in the 30-60 mph range, the gas mileage went into the 80s. whoa.

According to the speed monitors at numerous construction zones that I passed, the bike's speedometer, with the newish not-really-worn stock rear tire, is very accurate. That was a big surprise. To see the roadside speed monitor say '53', then look at my speedometer and see '53' !

I had just installed a rake adjustable Saeng 'Wing-Tip' wind deflector on the top edge of the stock windscreen. This takes all the blast off of the head and allowed me to sit there upright with a relatively relaxed neck at all speeds up to 80mph (which was a fast as I went). It would be too tiring to ride back to back long days with just the stock shield.

Nice bike. I see a long partnership ahead !

Attachments

See less See more
#20 ·
Just checking out their site actually, is this the one you have?

SAENG/TA, Sport Touring Accessories - Wing-Tips™

$199.
Yes, that's what I installed. It's attached by sandwiching the screen between 2 disks with some kind of strong adhesive backed foam. The mounting is considered to be permanent. I had to clip the side of the inside mounting disks to get the mount to fit. The stock windscreen is just slightly smaller across the top than what the Wing-Tip mount is designed for. The rake is adjusted by loosening the phillips screws, positioning the screen and tightening.

There is a cheaper adjustable rake alternative from MRA:

TwistedThrottle.com : ...by Brand - MRA Motorcycle Windshields -

But I decided to go with Saeng (I think the mounting looks better).

Attachments

#8 ·
What I do to help keep my hands relaxed, is that if I have to keep the throttle wide open.. I crawl my throttle hand up into the neutral position... while still keeping the throttle wide open. Then use the friction from my glove to do the dirty work. That way I don't have to squeeze hard or have my wrist in an awkward position.

never had a cramp in the hand, and I've done over 3hr trips.

My butt gets sore tho.. keep doing the butt shimmy on the seat to ease the discomfort

#9 ·
Suitable for touring, yes. Maybe the only $5000 (new) ABS equipped bike which can hold its own.
I commute about 700KM a week, to one city on Monday, then back again on Friday. My setup seems to be similar to OPs, a Hard tail box on the rack, and an Ortlieb waterproof bag bungie corded to the rear seat. Additionally, I have Panniers and a tank bag. About 150 Liters total capacity. Fully loaded with a weeks clothing and my work supplies and a weeks worth of food I'm right at gross weight.
I find the bike surprisingly comfortable. I take a break about every 90 minutes to stretch, and arrive relatively rested.
Honestly, when I can afford it I'll have a larger bike like the VFR1200, but for my budget of $5000 this bike is doing very well as a commute/tourer.

#11 ·
I agree with Rick. It is important to take a break about every 90 minutes. When touring (rather than commuting) you want to take lots of photos anyway of the panorama unfolding before you (hopefully not from the Interstate) so it is to your advantage to stop lots, take photos, eat, drink, and rest. Having said that - on a recent trip I was able to do some 2-3 hour stretches between fill-ups with only mild stiffness. I find the seat incredibly comfortable for long trips. My butt never gets sore. Yes - the throttle hand can get numb, but I just stretch my throttle-hand fingers while riding to eliminate it when it becomes bothersome.

I just completed another 3500 KM (2200 mile) camping trip on my CBR250R. It was tons of fun. Here is the report:

Balsam Lake or Bust! CBR250R Week Long Touring & Camping Adventure - Honda CBR250R Discussion Forum

Mike

#26 ·
Welcome back Mike. Good to hear your voice again (so to speak):) I recently read your latest adventure. Top notch report as always. Looking forward to more.
Thanks CBlackR! It's nice to be back. Had tons of fun on my last trip even though it had to be cut short. I would like to do another shorter camping trip this fall if the weather holds out. Would be nice to capture some fall colours in around Lake Superior.

Thanks Mike for posting such a great ride report on your 250r. As a new rider (mine's a red 250RA) in the GTA, it's great to see what can be done on the bike. I've driven some of the same roads as you, but on four wheels - the trip around the north shore of Superior is fantastic as your pictures show. I've got a trip coming up that will take me up through Tobermory to Manitoulin, Sudbury and back to the GTA - not nearly as far as yours, but a first for me.Thanks again for sharing your trip - and is such a humorous way!:)
Riverguide - thanks - a friend who rides, recently said to me that he has driven from Thunder Bay, ON to Duluth, MN countless times. Yet a few years ago when he first completed the route on a motorcycle - it felt like "It was the first time I had even taken that trip". It truly IS different on a motorcycle.

Are you planning on camping along the way? If you want some camping tips - just PM me. You should take Bungie up on the offer to meet you at South Baymouth and see the sights. You guys could climb Willisville Mountain and take photos from where the old fire tower used to be. I used to dream of climbing that as a kid. :)

Mike,
I read your trip blog, just awesome. You really capture the adventure and freedom of touring on a bike. Please keep up these awesome trip reports.
Be safe out there, and file 'ride plans' so that GF you mention knows where to send the search party in the event of trouble ;) You are really riding in remote areas!
Rick - you're right - the areas I was riding through are pretty remote. But there are still travellers on the roads - and much more cell coverage than there used to be. The isolation actually makes me yearn to call others at the end of the day - and experience some social contact! Having said that - I just love the open spaces - the wildlife (I've seen wolves, lynx, foxes, moose, bears, etc. crossing the road) - and being able to stop at a rest stop and each lunch beside a lake - all alone - me and my bike. It's amazing the stuff you think about when you are along in the middle of nowhere with no distractions - and plenty of time to think..... :)

Mike

#15 · (Edited)
I try to put out some review.
Going to Vulcano - Eolian Islands
This is the route I took with my girlfriend on the CBR last week.
It was a nice trip and the bike handled it very well:
we left in the early morning taking the Highway for about 120 km that I kept going between 90 and 110 km/h without any kind of problem (or bad feeling about the bike).
Must be said we were at the maximum weight on the bike with two person with gear and the tankbag fully opened (and filled).
My tankbag almost ended out of the bubble caused by the front fairing but I had no turbulence at all.
Shame on me since I didn't take a shot.
The highway in that part is near the sea, at about 100 meters on the sea level, crossing a lot of hills with tunnels and bridges. Wind was not scary neither were passing trucks and cars.
The saddle is firm but comfotable.
The only problem was the wayback, since we left in the dusk and after 1,5 hours of ferryboat we managed to do the same route without the shining sun and with the lack of will caused by a whole day spent enjoing the awesome crystal water in Vulcano.
I mean, nothing cbr-related, we were just tired before leaving.

I really enjoyed the trip, and I even more enojyed my girlfriend saying "the next time we do this"
considering that she feels like the bike is not properly the most practical mean to move, to travel with.
I must think that, if she considers to do some light-touring on the bike again, this should have been a positive experience for her as much as for me.

#16 ·
northern ontario tour

Thanks Mike for posting such a great ride report on your 250r. As a new rider (mine's a red 250RA) in the GTA, it's great to see what can be done on the bike. I've driven some of the same roads as you, but on four wheels - the trip around the north shore of Superior is fantastic as your pictures show. I've got a trip coming up that will take me up through Tobermory to Manitoulin, Sudbury and back to the GTA - not nearly as far as yours, but a first for me.Thanks again for sharing your trip - and is such a humorous way!:)

#17 ·
I've got a trip coming up that will take me up through Tobermory to Manitoulin, Sudbury and back to the GTA
If your going to do it on the CBR let me know when. I'll run up to South Bay Mouth and ride back to Sudbury with you. Theirs some very scenic spots on Hwy 6 south to Sudbury (Willisville, Bridal Veil Falls..). This is my home turf and ride it a lot.

The only time I won't be available is a few weeks from now.

#21 · (Edited)
I got the exact same setup that Rick described in an earlier post.

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-parts-accessories/888-top-case-givi.html

The box is a Givi Maxia 52. Huge mother.
I used the Givi mounting plate. Some time later I may get the Givi Brake Light kit for the box.
The rack I ordered from a place in Japan (mentioned in Rick's earlier post).
Someone else mentioned a Givi branded rack that also happens to cost about 1/2 as much as the one from Japan (in U.S. dollars)...

#28 ·
Thankyou for your story CBR250R.. amazing to see another country like that.

Apart from riding on the wrong side of the road which must be weird!

awesome... I'll have to share some South Western Australian stuff in the next few months.

#35 ·
CBR250R - You have many good points that I agree with completely. I am also a teacher with a Civic SI Sedan. I too like trying to do more with less and feel it makes for a more meaningful and engaged experience. Your 125 blog was also a big factor in me pulling the trigger on the 250 instead of something bigger. We are very different in one aspect though. I am much younger at the young age of 41, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.