Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up on the Suzuki GS500F which they started building in 2004. The F stands for faring. They built the GS500E for about 20 years. Both bikes have the same motor. Top speed is between 95 and 100 MPH. The maximum total load is about 800 pounds so it would carry a fair amount of gear and you could cruise 75 to 80 MPH all day on it. It wouldn't be bad riding two up either. MPG is between 55 and 60. Do any of you have any thoughts on this bike? Have any of you owned one? If Honda doesn't come out with the CBR400R this bike will be near the top of my list. Because it is under 600cc or 650cc insurance is about 1/3 what the larger bike would be. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
636 Posts
bud- i was in the market for the gs500e witch was built up until 2002..it was basically the naked version of the gs500f, and i only found one in the whole state of ohio!! which to me is a sign that people dont want to get rid of them. I have seen a few of the gs500f bikes for sale but i have not heard any negatives about any of them..had i found a gs500e within 100 miles of my house in good condition at a reasonable price, i might not have started researching the cbr250..i am extemely happy with the outcome of events though, cause the ceebee is an awesome cycle with better mpg, although not as much load capacity it is a capable utilitarian..Dont hold your breath on the honda 400cbr either..even though it is nice to think what could be...good luck with your decision..

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
There is no more uninspiring engine than a parallel twin (TRX850 270' crank excepted).

Looks can be deceiving, the GS is 30 yrs old.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I'm riding around on a Honda CBF 500 at the moment. I'm getting around 50 mpg (imperial) out of it, which isn't very good considering my BMW R1150RS was averaging 48 mpg (imperial). I agree with Aufitt yet again. :D Whilst practical, it's totally uninspiring. A bit like the Kawasaki ER-5 I used to own. My CBR 250R is much more fun. ;)

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I must say though, I had a ride on a Kawasaki ER-6N a while ago, and that was a huge amount of fun. It pulled really well from low down in the rev range. Sounded good too with the original exhaust on. That's a 650 FI twin with around 72 BHP, if I remember rightly. The build quality was quite good too. I think I'd go for the F version, if I was to buy one though.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I must say though, I had a ride on a Kawasaki ER-6N a while ago, and that was a huge amount of fun. It pulled really well from low down in the rev range. Sounded good too with the original exhaust on. That's a 650 FI twin with around 72 BHP, if I remember rightly. The build quality was quite good too. I think I'd go for the F version, if I was to buy one though.
quite fond of the er-6n myself..the 2009 is my fav..

·
Registered
385 Posts
I looked at this bike. The weight and lack of fuel injection turned me off. As I've said before I don't put my bike up in winter and it may not get ridden for a month or 6 weeks. Add to that a really long, steep driveway and a cold natured bike is just too much of a hassle. Same problems that made me give up my Nighthawk 750.BTW - if the GS500 works for you than you might want to look at a used Nighthawk 750. More power, still 50mpg, and legendary for running more than 100,000 miles. Plus valves that never need adjusting and a generally bullet-proof design. Drop it, pick it up, keep riding. Unkillable transmission.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have no doubts that the CBR250R would be more fun to ride than the GS500F. The problem is riding two up. Yes, it is a very old design. If I buy one I'll buy a 2004 or newer. If my knees don't bother me when I sit on a GS500F I'll buy one. I might like the CBR400R much better if Honda builds it. That could change my mind about the GS500F. I'm still not sure if I can put a soft bag on the GS500F and still carry a passenger. Do any of you know if this is possible? I also want to put soft saddle bags on it. Thanks for your help my friends. Ride safe.

Bud

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've long considered the GS500F as a commuter bike. Some can be had for very reasonable price. However, the more I read into it, the less it made sense for me. It's a very dated design and Suzuki made no attempt to improve it, other than updating the graphics/sticker on the fairing from year to year. With only a 500cc air cooled engine, the MPG was not much better than others with much better performance (My Ducati S2R1000, a nake bike, gets 45 MPG vs. 50 for the GS with fairing). If you are just looking for a cheap bike with good wind protection that rakes up miles and miles, it's not a bad choice.

But when it comes to commuting (single rider), it's tough to beat the CBR250. When the CBR250R came out, I was immediately sold.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just sold my 2008 GS500F and picked up a CBR250R last week for some of the reasons listed above. It is a dated design, carb'd, heavy, and didn't come with the ABS that I wanted on a bike. However, that doesn't mean that it should be discounted, especially for riding with a passenger.

Used GS500's are plentiful and very cheap. While it is a dated bike, it does its commuting job just fine and its fine in the twisties, although its suspension is a little lacking. It has the perfect amount of power in a bike imo. Not enough to overwhelm a newer rider or pop a power wheelie, but definitely enough for easy highway passing or 2 up riding. I managed an average 59 mpg on it too. I never had an issue starting in the winter even though it was carb'd - just have to let it warm up before you ride. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts