Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
T-Rex 2011- 2012 Honda CBR250R Frame Sliders NO fairing modification required | eBay

You are probably thinking this thread is going to be about a review on how great these sliders are and how to install them right? WRONG!!

I'd love to say they're great but I can't get the dern things mounted yet because the bolts on my frame are torqued down way too tight. So far I was only able to mount the left hand bracket but just barely after 2 1/2 hours of struggling to get the bolts off. I'm thinking the manufacturers over tightened them because the instructions say that they should be able to come off with minimal force. This is not the case and my 2 broken ratchets, stripped 9/16 wrench, and stripped 9/16 bit can testify to that. I picked up some new tools today so Im going to try again in the morning.

I will say this. The sliders look and feel extremely sturdy. They say that its all plastic but I swear it weighs and feels like metal. I would definitely recommend these sliders but just be prepared for a lengthy install. It's probably just my bike that has this issue so I don't want to turn you guys off to this product. As the link about indicates, I got it off of ebay for what I would like to call an "okay" price. Shipping is free, and I got it within 4 days. I'm probably not going to do an install video but once its on, I;; definitely post some pics of how it came out.

As always, ride Peoplez.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I had no issues with the bolts IN my bike (Honda bolts), but had a number of issues with the ones that came in the kit being the wrong size. I've posted all the details in the 'best frame sliders' thread.

As for the Honda ones, the only one that gave me issues was the one that runs through the engine at the bottom, and was nothing a few hits with a rubber mallet couldn't fix.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had no issues with the bolts IN my bike (Honda bolts), but had a number of issues with the ones that came in the kit being the wrong size. I've posted all the details in the 'best frame sliders' thread.

As for the Honda ones, the only one that gave me issues was the one that runs through the engine at the bottom, and was nothing a few hits with a rubber mallet couldn't fix.
Yeah I had to bang mine out as well. Hahaa. Im going to the shop tomorrow to see if they can do something about it. As for right now, Im running frame sliders on the left side only for now hahaaa

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: I finally got the dern bolt off by way of a breaker bar, metal pipe, and a striped bolt remover. Holy jeebus it was a pain. It was torqued down more than it should've been because when I finally got it off, the frame bar that it was bolted into was slight bent inwards where the bolt screws into. No bueno.

Anyway. both pair of sliders are mounted securely so I'm satisfied.

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
Looks really good! Those are my favorite ones because they have the upper and lower areas covered. Glad you were able to get them on.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Other than the bolts being tough to get out are these easy to install?
Yeah. they come with text instructions, pictures of how every step is supposed to look, and a 3d diagram on the mounting setup. But once you install the left side, I guarantee you wont need the instructions to do the right side. If that bolt wasn't so hard to get off the whole project probably wouldv'e taken me about 3 hrs (mainly because I didn't know how to take the fairings off. The owners manual was extremely vague in that sense, IMO).

Already ordered my integrated tail light, flush mounted front turn signals, and fender eliminator. I've decided not to sell the bike so im going to trick it out.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I don't think those were the right size sockets man. I used a 12mm and 14mm for my install. And a metal pipe for leverage. I had trouble with the big bolt so I went looking for the pipe. Lol. Sorry about all your trouble but glad you got them on. I honestly hated the instructions. I thought they sucked. But I believe it's bolt #14? Still too long. Had to put extra washers in order to get it to fit right. Just installed last week. The FE is a pain. Good luck!

·
Registered
305 Posts
What really irked me was the fact that ALL install is with hex keys. And I didn't have one big enough to mount the sliders. Glad my friend did though. And they really are heavy. But I suspect a lot of it is the mounting bolts. I also got the spool adapters. If you're mechanically inclined it'll take about an hour. Given you've got the tools etc. @KRASH, don't feel bad. When I first took the fairings off it took forever. Didn't want to break any clips. Now I just rip it off and slam in back when done. Lol. I was trying to be lazy and didn't disconnect turn signal. Well fairing ended up falling off my handle bar. Hit the ground but no big scratches. I disconnect now and just set them to the side. These sliders are solid. I have confidence that they will hold if I lay it down.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah the hex bolts on this bike in general are annoying. I already stripped one of them so Ill probably have to get a replacement soon. As for the bolt Yeah I eventually switched to the 14mm and used the breaker bar to get it off. Good thing they supple you with a replacement bolt because the one I took of is completely unusable now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm excited to see how much of a challenge mine are when I receive my T-Rex sliders next week! :p

I have hex bit sockets to get it back in, so hopefully not a big deal.

Has anyone broken the bolt removing it with the breaker bar? There were reports of Honda using sub-par bolts in the oil filter housing, so this slightly concerns me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bolt 14 still too long

I just ordered and received it last week. It's very good product but despite the complain from this forum, bolt 14 is still over size. Frustrating that I could not finish the installation.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Hey guys how heavy are they?

·
Registered
122 Posts
i hated installing these but once i did i loved it

I don't like to say this but those that have these I will tell you that they work so great!

I got into a lowside the other day and no fairing damage at all!

·
Registered
103 Posts
i hated installing these but once i did i loved it

I don't like to say this but those that have these I will tell you that they work so great!

I got into a lowside the other day and no fairing damage at all!
I too have the sliders so I am glad to hear they prevented damage to your bike, not so glad to hear about your wreck though. Everything else ok too?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts